A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:04:15 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076574 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2016, 03:06:44 pm »

So you can call and make a reservation?  Is there a secret password?  Might need to surprise my wife on her birthday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:21 pm »

I've dined there once and had dessert & drinks at "The Lounge" on a couple occasions.  It is a fantastic addition to downtown Tulsa.  The staff told me when I called to make a reservation opening weekend there would be no website, no social media, no marketing of any kind.  They want it truly word of mouth.  There isn't a real sign in the alley, just a bronze bull hanging above the door.  It's a pricey meal, but if you can scrape together $100 a plate it is worth it. 

If the $20 fish & chip FAIL I had at The Tavern the other night is any indication, I think I’ll pass on $100 a plate in the speakeasy.

McNellie’s Group has cool spaces, great drinks, and usually really good service.  But their food is consistently very pedestrian no matter the concept.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2016, 09:31:01 am »

If the $20 fish & chip FAIL I had at The Tavern the other night is any indication, I think I’ll pass on $100 a plate in the speakeasy.

McNellie’s Group has cool spaces, great drinks, and usually really good service.  But their food is consistently very pedestrian no matter the concept.

Their burgers and fries are awesome. I also love the deviled egg trio. I think this bad experience was an exception. I've always had great food there and have only heard good things from there. The Lounge was also very good even though it was somewhat pricy.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2016, 09:56:24 am »

Their burgers and fries are awesome. I also love the deviled egg trio. I think this bad experience was an exception. I've always had great food there and have only heard good things from there. The Lounge was also very good even though it was somewhat pricy.

I admit, my wife and I are food snobs but we really aren’t usually that hard to please.

We had a fried chicken special at Temp Tavern a few months ago and it was truly crave-able food so that set my expectations pretty high for when the Tavern re-opened.

My wife and mother weren’t that impressed with the burgers.   I had a bite of my wife’s and thought it was really good, it would be a great value at the $6.50 price after 9pm.  I simply don’t believe it belongs in the realm of other $10-$15 burgers I’ve had in my travels.

To me, it looked as if they were compensating for poor value in the burgers and fish by piling on a heap of potatoes which simply makes it look as if they are trying to create value by the plate overflowing with potatoes.

I have had the same issue with McNellie’s fish & chips and finally gave up on ordering them.  The fish is dry and flavorless and I guess I’m too much of a traditionalist, I like potato planks with my fish & chips not shoestring potatoes.  Either there is a provisioning issue for their fish or they don’t have anyone who knows how to do it properly.

It’s a cool place to go for a drink and I’d give some of the other bar grub a try. 

Maybe they did have an off night in the kitchen, this is the exact reason you need to hit your marks every night.  You get one chance to impress a first time visitor and there’s a ton of competition in the Tulsa market.  Most people won’t say anything, they simply won’t return.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2016, 10:40:20 am »

Maybe they did have an off night in the kitchen, this is the exact reason you need to hit your marks every night.  You get one chance to impress a first time visitor and there’s a ton of competition in the Tulsa market.  Most people won’t say anything, they simply won’t return.

Yeah, maybe it was an off night. I hope you give it a try some other time. I love that place and go back every few months or so.

You are right, there is a lot of competition and most at better prices. Because there are so many great places (like Fat Guys, Dilly Diner, the Vault, the Bramble, Burn Co, Laffa and others), we only make it to each one about once every 2-3 months as we sort of rotate which ones we go to or haven't been to in awhile. First world problems! Too many great places and only so much room in my belly!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »

You get one chance to impress a first time visitor and there’s a ton of competition in the Tulsa market. 

No second chance to make a first impression?

Grin

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2016, 09:15:18 am »

I feel like a lot of people think things are good because they are expensive.  Its the same thing with beer and wine.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:11 am »

I feel like a lot of people think things are good because they are expensive. 

The Tavern isn't expensive depending on what you get, especially after 10pm (burger and friess is $6.50). Last couple times I went, the total for 2 was $30-$40 including drinks and a meal. Nowhere near places like Juniper or the Chalkboard.

It is priced about right for the quality which is a bit better than most places.

Its the same thing with beer and wine.

You cannot seriously believe Bud/Miller/Coors are anywhere even close to the quality of craft breweries like Prairie, Marshall, COOP or Left Hand! Most of those aren't even expensive ($8-$10/6-pack). The worst craft beers are still far better than the rice-brews Bud puts out.

If you don't like craft beer, that is one thing, but don't falsely claim that a $0.50/can of mass-produced beer is anywhere close to as good as the $1+ brews.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:24 am »

The Tavern isn't expensive depending on what you get, especially after 10pm (burger and friess is $6.50). Last couple times I went, the total for 2 was $30-$40 including drinks and a meal. Nowhere near places like Juniper or the Chalkboard.

It is priced about right for the quality which is a bit better than most places.

You cannot seriously believe Bud/Miller/Coors are anywhere even close to the quality of craft breweries like Prairie, Marshall, COOP or Left Hand! Most of those aren't even expensive ($8-$10/6-pack). The worst craft beers are still far better than the rice-brews Bud puts out.

If you don't like craft beer, that is one thing, but don't falsely claim that a $0.50/can of mass-produced beer is anywhere close to as good as the $1+ brews.

I'm not really a miller guy.  But Bud and Coors make good lagers.  There is a reason why they have been around for 140+ years. It is just declining in popularity vs other craft styles.  Maybe sometime we can have a beer and you can tell me about craft beer.  There are some hoppy lagers that would probably beat them out in blind taste tests though.  Everybody wants IPAs and stouts now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:01:13 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:34 pm »

I'm not really a miller guy.  But Bud and Coors make good lagers.  There is a reason why they have been around for 140+ years. It is just declining in popularity vs other craft styles.  Maybe sometime we can have a beer and you can tell me about craft beer.

Different tastes I guests. If you have tried a Left Hand Sawtooth Ale or Marshall Big Jamoke or El Cucuy, I think you'd definitely see the difference.

The recipes of Bud have changed over the years. They use rice to make alcohol cheaper now. I prefer full-wheat/barley beer. I do love a good lager or pilsner. There are many German/Austrian beers who make great lagers and pilsners about the same way as they did over a hundred years ago (Koestriker, Stiegl), but not in the US among the big breweries. Some craft breweries make great pre-prohibition style lagers. Marshall makes good German style pilsners.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:52:14 pm by TulsaGoldenHurriCAN » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2016, 12:48:53 pm »

I did not see this posted on here and wanted to share especially since the construction is set to begin soon and some might want to know about the road construction in the Brady District:

New Plan Aims To Better Connect Downtown Tulsa Districts

TULSA, Oklahoma - Downtown Tulsa's many different districts have a lot to offer people who live there and a lot for those who visit.
But many of those areas are spread too far apart, especially for pedestrians; but there is a new plan to better connect the Brady and Greenwood districts.

There is no arguing the Brady and Greenwood districts are booming, unfortunately, a lack of walkability has caused some to miss hidden gems, like the John Hope Franklin Park, but that’s about to change.

Program Officer with the George Kaiser Family Foundation, Aaron Miller, said, “Streetscaping has really built up this neighborhood. It has made it feel warm and inviting and welcoming.”

The view of Guthrie Green from Cincinnati and Cameron is top notch, but that stops once you try to venture across Cincinnati.

Traffic whizzes by and crosswalks are all but absent, so the area will get a brand new streetscape, paid for by portions of property and sales taxes in the Brady District.

It will bring pedestrians directly and safely to John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park and the front door of the Greenwood District.

John Hope Franklin Executive Director, Jocelyn Lee Payne said, “Tulsa is becoming a walking city, and we appreciate that and we are happy to be on one of the most busy connecting places and busy thoroughfares of the city.”

The sidewalks along Cameron will be widened with dozens of streetlights and trees; angled parking spots will also be included.

Payne said, “So, if we get them down this pretty lighted street and to the intersection of Cameron and Detroit, then they get to play dodge car.”

But not anymore. With the plan, there will be street lighting on the corner and brand new crosswalks, making it easier and safer for people to get to the park.

“It is a shame people don’t realize when they're visiting the Guthrie Green, that they are only one block away from this treasure,” Miller said.

There are plans for similar streetscaping all the way down Brady and along Cheyenne, eventually connecting to the BOK Center, but the details are still being ironed out.

“In order to attract more tourists and new residents downtown, walkability is the key factor,” Miller said.

The park has a number of events and performances scheduled for the months ahead.

Construction on the connector is set to begin around January and be wrapped up by the end of April.

http://www.newson6.com/story/30591367/new-plan-aims-to-better-connect-downtown-tulsa-districts

Sounds like good changes! I agree that Cameron in front of the Gypsy could use a facelift and better connect the 2 parks. The future plans to connect Brady and the BOK center with a walkable streetscape will be great (Could encourage more bicycling/walking and pedicabs to bring more BOK Center patrons to Brady).
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »

I did not see this posted on here and wanted to share especially since the construction is set to begin soon and some might want to know about the road construction in the Brady District:

New Plan Aims To Better Connect Downtown Tulsa Districts

http://www.newson6.com/story/30591367/new-plan-aims-to-better-connect-downtown-tulsa-districts

Sounds like good changes! I agree that Cameron in front of the Gypsy could use a facelift and better connect the 2 parks. The future plans to connect Brady and the BOK center with a walkable streetscape will be great (Could encourage more bicycling/walking and pedicabs to bring more BOK Center patrons to Brady).

No rough pavement in crosswalks or on sidewalks, please!

No acorn light fixtures, please!

ADA-compliant curb ramps, please!

If the plan incorporates the same type of details built around Guthrie Green, then it will be far better than what has been built in other neighborhoods, such as Brookside, Blue Dome, etc. (glaring acorn lights, rough pavers in crosswalks and on sidewalks, non-ADA-compliant curb ramps).

It would also help to neck down the pedestrian crossings.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #402 on: January 26, 2016, 07:52:14 am »

This is awesome. Walking around the Brady can be dicey sometimes, especially when workers from the BOK tower leave. I imagine soon there will be new crosswalk signs like there are in Brookside now, since pretty much no one yields to pedestrians in the crosswalks. 

And I'm glad to see Cheyenne is being spruced up too! It will make walking to the BOK a much more pleasant experience.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #403 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:51 am »

This is awesome. Walking around the Brady can be dicey sometimes, especially when workers from the BOK tower leave. I imagine soon there will be new crosswalk signs like there are in Brookside now, since pretty much no one yields to pedestrians in the crosswalks. 

And I'm glad to see Cheyenne is being spruced up too! It will make walking to the BOK a much more pleasant experience.

I hope they don't pull up the bricks on Cheyenne Ave.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46:28 am »

I hope they don't pull up the bricks on Cheyenne Ave.

They should restore the bricks in Brady and Greenwood where ever possible.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org