A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2024, 07:29:04 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvey Young Airport  (Read 788 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« on: July 26, 2024, 10:52:04 pm »

With some other aviation topics here, I have been looking around to find out info about Harvey Young Airport and it's redevelopment. I have found the website for it and it seems ambitious but haven't really found anything about its progress.

Does anyone have any insight as to where it is in the development stage, or if work is being done, or is it just a dream at this point.

I saw on the site drawing that it was from 2018 in it's original design.

I found some photos of planes landing at Harvey Young back in 1979

Cessna 170B

EAA Biplane Homebuilt

And this one is actually in a museum in Liberal KS

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1897996
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 03:36:28 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 11:00:00 pm »

With some other aviation topics here, I have been looking around to find out info about Harvey Young Airport and it's redevelopment. I have found the website for it and it seems ambitious but haven't really found anything about its progress.

I found a website but have no other info.  I'll be surprised if it remains an airport.  Too close to TUL and too many houses in the area. Same old story.  Move in next to an airport, complain about the noise and airplanes, airport goes away.  Probably won't become a shopping mall since the one on 21st street failed.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 10:52:29 am »

This project died awhile ago. It was indeed an ambitious proposal. Neighbors and the city weren't really on board. It failed to get investors. Too many other good options close by, so Harvey Young is probably better of being redeveloped as a neighborhood.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2024, 12:21:33 pm »

This project died awhile ago. It was indeed an ambitious proposal. Neighbors and the city weren't really on board. It failed to get investors. Too many other good options close by, so Harvey Young is probably better of being redeveloped as a neighborhood.

I just hate to see another airport go away.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2024, 08:52:22 pm »

I remember when Eastland was just an empty shell in the late 70's early 80's. I dated someone that lived in the apartments just west of the mall. Used to hate on Saturday mornings getting woken up by planes taking off.

That was such anninteresting events in that area back then. I always thought that that area was growing at the same time that 61st to 71st on Memorial started growing and then they built the Ford Glass Plant and the area along 21st between 129th and 145th just stopped.it didn't help that the anchors that were going into Eastland left for Woodland Hills.

About the Harvey Young project it looked overly ambitious. Sad to see it go, because it's had a long history there.
I seem to remember that several years ago a plane crashed in the lawn of the church south of the runway, and there was another one back in the late 70's early 80's that made an emergency landing there. It was a twin engine Beech that the nose gear would not come down, so TIA sent them there because it would be smoother on the grass. The pilot did a brilliant job of landing it, just spot on perfect.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 08:18:48 am »

I remember when Eastland was just an empty shell in the late 70's early 80's. I dated someone that lived in the apartments just west of the mall. Used to hate on Saturday mornings getting woken up by planes taking off.

That was such anninteresting events in that area back then. I always thought that that area was growing at the same time that 61st to 71st on Memorial started growing and then they built the Ford Glass Plant and the area along 21st between 129th and 145th just stopped.it didn't help that the anchors that were going into Eastland left for Woodland Hills.

About the Harvey Young project it looked overly ambitious. Sad to see it go, because it's had a long history there.
I seem to remember that several years ago a plane crashed in the lawn of the church south of the runway, and there was another one back in the late 70's early 80's that made an emergency landing there. It was a twin engine Beech that the nose gear would not come down, so TIA sent them there because it would be smoother on the grass. The pilot did a brilliant job of landing it, just spot on perfect.

I can remember in the mid 70s going to the Glue Dobber field (RC planes) with my dad, which at that time was on the SE corner of 41st and 145th East Ave, and seeing what looked like a big concrete box out in the middle of the field at 21st and wondering what in the hell it was.  Only took them almost 20 years to complete it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2024, 06:19:58 pm »

I can remember in the mid 70s going to the Glue Dobber field (RC planes) with my dad, which at that time was on the SE corner of 41st and 145th East Ave, and seeing what looked like a big concrete box out in the middle of the field at 21st and wondering what in the hell it was.  Only took them almost 20 years to complete it.

Yes I remember being taken as a kid to see the Glue Dobbers in the early 70's.

My junior year at Hale, 79/80, I was one of the photogs for the paper and year book, and we were working onnthe idea of a parody issue of the paper, and I went with another photog and we took pictures of the Union Depot when it was abandoned back then that was going to be the old high school and then we went out to Eastland and while taking pictures outside of it security rolled up and gave us the okay for being outside just don't go inside.

There were pallets and pallets of what looked like concrete pillows that were bags of mortar/cement mix that had gotten soaked the concrete set and then the paper weathered away. There was the steel framework of a two story bank on the south west corner of the intersection. It had a metal spiral staircase in the center near the big concrete box that was going to be a vault. It was reminiscent of when this was a bank on 31st near Darlington.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/y91inZLLc5cksYHeA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org