A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:48:19 pm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 595827 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #435 on: September 25, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

the accident rate has not been linked to pot use since metabolites of pot stay in the system for weeks, though the user is not “under the influence” after several hours.

...but you are trying to make that point with someone who believes they are trying to legalize DUI.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »

Really??  Total-and-complete-lack-of-ScienceDaily...Huh

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25770838/more-colorado-drivers-fatal-crashes-postive-pot-study   >>> This is not rocket science if you take any substance that alters your brain & thinking patterns and drive a car under that substance it's not going to make ya a safer driver. With more people using pot and driving guess what? Cheesy

Irrelevant.  Since the other 49 don't test for mj impairment at the time of an accident, even 1 would mean an increase.  Get some really numbers....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #438 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

...but you are trying to make that point with someone who believes they are trying to legalize DUI.
No, it's the result of what will happen if MJ is made legal. We will not only have MJ users on our highways but also all the illegal drugs on top of that plus alcohol. Making MJ legal will increase the number of people who use it and make our roadways more dangerous. Car insureance rates would likely climb too.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:48 pm »

No, it's the result of what will happen if MJ is made legal. We will not only have MJ users on our highways but also all the illegal drugs on top of that plus alcohol. Making MJ legal will increase the number of people who use it and make our roadways more dangerous. Car insureance rates would likely climb too.

And once again your "Failin' Stupid Carp" comes through - wouldn't it be refreshing if just once, you would do a little bit of investigation and find out the reality before spewing...??    Just ONCE!!  Is that too much to ask??

Usage rates have been shown for many years to NOT go up when decriminalized/legalized.  Either in this country or internationally.  It's a non-event.  Nothing changes.  (Using short sentences and simple words so you at least have a chance of understanding...)

http://norml.org/aboutmarijuana/item/marijuana-decriminalization-its-impact-on-use-2

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2014, 12:59:28 pm »

Usage rates have been shown for many years to NOT go up when decriminalized/legalized.  Either in this country or internationally.  It's a non-event.  Nothing changes. 

I don't believe that. While the number of heavy users may not change, I would bet that more people would try it at least one time if it were legal. I have no basis for this other than a friend in Colorado who is my age and tried a marijuana cookie for the first time. She said her friend threw a party and most of the girls said they had never tried it before.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »

And once again your "Failin' Stupid Carp" comes through - wouldn't it be refreshing if just once, you would do a little bit of investigation and find out the reality before spewing...??    Just ONCE!!  Is that too much to ask??

Usage rates have been shown for many years to NOT go up when decriminalized/legalized.  Either in this country or internationally.  It's a non-event.  Nothing changes.  (Using short sentences and simple words so you at least have a chance of understanding...)

http://norml.org/aboutmarijuana/item/marijuana-decriminalization-its-impact-on-use-2

Sure, Look at who put out that link- it's done by a pro-MJ group. The link also uses the words "no substantial increase" so even they admit there will be some increase in MJ use but it won't be substantial, and what they define as being "substantial" is anybodys guess. When alcohol became legal again  in the 1930's there was an increase in it's use, even though people used alcohol while it was illegal, it stands to reason MJ would be the same way. None the less your going to have people driving cars with altered brains from MJ use or driving a fork lift at work  mellowed out from MJ - thinking he's  even a better  fork lift driver because he's so mellow.  MJ's only real use is to alter your brain, that's the only reason people use it. If MJ had no effect no one would use it. You need to post links that are non-bias that tells it like it is.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:13:36 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »

I don't believe that. While the number of heavy users may not change, I would bet that more people would try it at least one time if it were legal. I have no basis for this other than a friend in Colorado who is my age and tried a marijuana cookie for the first time. She said her friend threw a party and most of the girls said they had never tried it before.
Yep and there is likely more of that going on behind the scenes that never gets reported.  Nope- I don't favor legal MJ in Oklahoma.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2014, 01:13:02 pm »

Sure, Look at who put out that link- it's done by a pro-MJ group. The link also uses the words "no substantial increase" so even they admit there will be some increase in MJ use but it won't be substantial, and what they define as being "substantial" is anybodys guess. When alcohol became legal again  in the 1930's there was an increase in it's use, even though people used alcohol while it was illegal, it stands to reason MJ would be the same way. None the less your going to have people driving cars with altered brains from MJ use or driving a fork lift at work  mellowed out from MJ - thinking he's  even a better  fork lift driver because he's so mellow.  MJ's only real use is to alter your brain, that's the only reason people use it. If MJ had no effect no one would use it.

You do realize that you could replace every instance of MJ in your sentence with 'alcohol', right?  Except that MJ is actually a plant that is grown in the ground.  Naturally.  Without distillation.  Also, I've not heard of one instance of someone dying of 'MJ poisoning'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #444 on: September 29, 2014, 01:18:41 pm »

You do realize that you could replace every instance of MJ in your sentence with 'alcohol', right?  Except that MJ is actually a plant that is grown in the ground.  Naturally.  Without distillation.
Well with legal MJ you'll have both  kinds of drivers on the road,  (MJ and drivers and  alcohol drivers) one substance won't be replacing the other- so we'll have drivers that use two different substances while driving or on the job. There is a difference too MJ stays in your system up to 4-5 weeks alcohol does not. The effect MJ has on the body when it's still in your system for 4-5 weeks is not fully known, but I doubt it's anything that's good.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #445 on: September 29, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »

Well with legal MJ you'll have both  kinds of drivers on the road,  (MJ and drivers and  alcohol drivers) one substance won't be replacing the other- so we'll have drivers that use two different substances while driving or on the job. There is a difference too MJ stays in your system up to 4-5 weeks alcohol does not. The effect MJ has on the body when it's still in your system for 4-5 weeks is not fully known, but I doubt it's anything that's good.

So you're saying you haven't done any research.  Wow, color me surprised.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #446 on: September 29, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »

Driving under the influence would still be just as illegal as it is now.  Why would there be an uptick just by making it legal?  I look at it this way: if MJ were legal, perhaps people who have been abusing prescription pain killers might turn to MJ instead.  Prescription painkillers are perfectly legal but very lethal in the wrong hands.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #447 on: September 29, 2014, 01:28:23 pm »

Sure, Look at who put out that link- it's done by a pro-MJ group. The link also uses the words "no substantial increase" so even they admit there will be some increase in MJ use but it won't be substantial, and what they define as being "substantial" is anybodys guess. When alcohol became legal again  in the 1930's there was an increase in it's use, even though people used alcohol while it was illegal, it stands to reason MJ would be the same way. None the less your going to have people driving cars with altered brains from MJ use or driving a fork lift at work  mellowed out from MJ - thinking he's  even a better  fork lift driver because he's so mellow.  MJ's only real use is to alter your brain, that's the only reason people use it. If MJ had no effect no one would use it.

Quoting people like;

National Academy of Science
Contemporary Drug Problems  (yeah, I know - says Federal on it so kiss of death to you...reality for everyone else.)
Bureau of Tobacco Control and Biometrics, Health and Welfare  (blame Canada!!)
California State Office of Narcotics and Drug Abuse
British Journal of Psychiatry
Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport  (where freedom and liberty actually began...)
Australian Journal of Public Health

If you are concerned about the definition of the word 'substantial', then look it up.  And read some of those papers to see what THEY define as 'substantial'.

As for alcohol, the usage dropped according to 'studies' (referenced here if you really want to know what you are talking about...so, I bet you won't look at any of them), mostly due to lower cirrhosis rates by about 10 - 20%.  One was confused....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_during_and_after_prohibition

But YOU know better than all those high-falutin' intellectuals, don't ya...?

For the VAST majority - beyond any "first time" novelty use, alcohol AND marijuana - of people who use are gonna keep using.  And the ones that don't, won't.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #448 on: September 29, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »

If MJ had no effect no one would use it. You need to post links that are non-bias that tells it like it is.

Again, READ!!  Or are you a high school graduate??

Sounds like there may be some alcohol use in play even as we speak....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #449 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:53 pm »

And having done NO research, study or even thought hard about the subject, how could YOU possibly know?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org