A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:04 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076903 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »

And if that giant parking lot could be developed.

Bomasada or some such company will grab that before too long. It's too good a location.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:54 pm »

And if that giant parking lot could be developed.

I'd love to see a soccer stadium take over the lot.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 05:20:04 pm »

I'd love to see a soccer stadium take over the lot.

I'm not sure there's any way that could be done without ruining the feel of the district IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a soccer stadium near downtown, but I think it would go better somewhere outside the IDL, though I don't know where. The east part of downtown is turning into Tulsa's first real urban neighborhood. A large stadium would ruin the "neighborhood feel" of the area.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:22:38 pm by ZYX » Logged
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 08:30:34 pm »

Bomasada or some such company will grab that before too long. It's too good a location.

Rumor has it there is a large mixed-use project in talks to be built here. Office building (probably 200,000 sq. ft. or more) would go at the SWC of the parking lot @ 2nd/Elgin. Rest would be multi-family (ARG) and would build 600-700 units in phases with the first one being about 250 units. I personally haven't seen the renderings (I know people who have), but it wouldn't surprise me if this is further along than many people think. I've heard rumors the Laredo has been sniffing around for a new site downtown because they are extremely tired of dealing with Kanbar. I've also heard that Reasors is working on an urban concept store for either this site or for the Synder's Hartford building redevelopment.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 07:06:56 am »

I've also heard that Reasors is working on an urban concept store for either this site or for the Synder's Hartford building redevelopment.

Too bad they can't test out their urban concept store by building up to the sidewalk at 41st & Peoria.

Other store types I'd like to see converted to urban layouts for downtown, specifically that giant parking lot at 2nd & Elgin:

-A QuikTrip with the pumps behind the main store. Heck anything that sells cigarettes late at night. Which leads me too...

-Walgreens/CVS, or just a pharmacy.

-Bueno. Because why not.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:21 am »

LAP, thanks for the thread and effort.  Nicely done.
davideinstein
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 02:05:58 pm »

I'm not sure there's any way that could be done without ruining the feel of the district IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a soccer stadium near downtown, but I think it would go better somewhere outside the IDL, though I don't know where. The east part of downtown is turning into Tulsa's first real urban neighborhood. A large stadium would ruin the "neighborhood feel" of the area.

Does Fenway ruin Boston?
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »

I've also heard that Reasors is working on an urban concept store for either this site or for the Synder's Hartford building redevelopment.

Oh please let this happen!

I just moved into the Brady and love being able to walk everywhere (work and play). And while 15th and Lewis is not far from downtown it requires a car when I'd really like to be able walk to get my groceries as well.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 04:02:53 pm »

...I didn't include the Kanbar projects (Transok, 5th Street, & Adams) just because I don't trust Kanbar as much as I don't trust Sager to do a legitimate project... I will have to walk by Transok to see if they are under construction there... I would be very happy if they are!

I work near the TransOK and can happily report it is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. They have the door open most days and crews doing tear out. It appears they are taking pains to remove crap (aluminium studs, drywall, etc.) and save key elements (brass fixtures, elevators doors, etc.). At least so far.  It isn't gang busters or anything, but they have had a crew of 5-6 guys filing up haul-aways and recycling trucks (aluminium studs) at a steady place from what I can tell. The AC was running in the building the other day (or so it seemed from the cool air coming out of the open doors onto 6th).

Add it to the list!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Aqxea
Tourist

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 07:23:57 pm »

Anyone know the status of this building on the corner of 1st & Elgin?  I think it would be perfect for a grocery store. 

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 07:41:33 pm »

Anyone know the status of this building on the corner of 1st & Elgin?  I think it would be perfect for a grocery store. 

According to Amanda DeCort, executive director of the Tulsa Foundation for Architecture, it's currently used to store light bulbs.  Per this article: http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/full-of-promise-many-of-tulsa-s-empty-buildings-ripe/article_d4f83cf5-6333-5dbc-8ecc-72d2298001da.html
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 07:44:57 pm »

Too bad they can't test out their urban concept store by building up to the sidewalk at 41st & Peoria.

Other store types I'd like to see converted to urban layouts for downtown, specifically that giant parking lot at 2nd & Elgin:

-A QuikTrip with the pumps behind the main store. Heck anything that sells cigarettes late at night. Which leads me too...

-Walgreens/CVS, or just a pharmacy.

-Bueno. Because why not.

The big problem with the 41st & Peoria location is they don't own most of the street frontage there, Coney Islander does. Plus that building wasn't in terrible shape, so I doubt they even thought about demoing it to do new construction.

I work near the TransOK and can happily report it is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. They have the door open most days and crews doing tear out. It appears they are taking pains to remove crap (aluminium studs, drywall, etc.) and save key elements (brass fixtures, elevators doors, etc.). At least so far.  It isn't gang busters or anything, but they have had a crew of 5-6 guys filing up haul-aways and recycling trucks (aluminium studs) at a steady place from what I can tell. The AC was running in the building the other day (or so it seemed from the cool air coming out of the open doors onto 6th).

Add it to the list!

Awesome, thanks for the update. Glad they are following through on this. It is odd that out of most of their empty portfolio they've picked the Adams building to turn into apartments. I think this building is almost full of office tenants - so they will be kicking all of them out... just doesn't make sense to me. I've also heard they want to turn Philcade into residential - which would mean IBM would have to leave too.

* I updated the first post some too. Added pictures of the Kanbar buildings, and I forgot the Best Western Select that is about to open by OSU Medical Center.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:08:32 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 07:45:49 pm »

Agreed. Or this would be a great location for a full CVS or Walgreens, and then turn the upper floor into office space.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:55 pm »

Does Fenway ruin Boston?

This would be nowhere near as iconic as Fenway.

Besides, my point is that I don't think sticking a massive building that will just be dead space 90% of the time right in the middle of a neighborhood is a good idea. Oneok is off by the highway, BOK was put in a lot with almost no development around it. Northeast downtown is quickly becoming one of the most active areas in the city. It will fill in regardless, there's no need to "incentivize" development with another stadium.

I love soccer and would love to see us have a stadium, but not in Blue Dome.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2015, 09:01:39 pm »

Rumor has it there is a large mixed-use project in talks to be built here. Office building (probably 200,000 sq. ft. or more) would go at the SWC of the parking lot @ 2nd/Elgin. Rest would be multi-family (ARG) and would build 600-700 units in phases with the first one being about 250 units. I personally haven't seen the renderings (I know people who have), but it wouldn't surprise me if this is further along than many people think. I've heard rumors the Laredo has been sniffing around for a new site downtown because they are extremely tired of dealing with Kanbar. I've also heard that Reasors is working on an urban concept store for either this site or for the Synder's Hartford building redevelopment.

I'd like to see a developer continue Frankfort through the block, but close it to cars. It would help connect the two sides of the district and could have a cool atmosphere with outdoor patios, seating, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org