A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:25:33 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Wildlife  (Read 44542 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2008, 02:07:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Something new for me.

I was getting into my truck yesterday evening about 5:45 when one of the flying squirrels landed feet from me in the yard.  That was a surprise.

The bigger surprise was seconds later a hawk landed on the squirrel and assisted it to shed its mortal coil.

I was attempting to get a picture of it but alas, I am too slow and the bird was too quick.  Anyway, that's my Marlin Perkins moment.

Wonder if the hawk had dropped him...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Enid
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2008, 02:47:52 pm »

I've seen a fox at 21st and Riverside when running in the morning and also in my neighborhood (Patrick Henry area).  I grew up outside of Tahlequah and I believe there are more critters in Tulsa than in the country, especially squirrels!  The eagles are beautiful on Riverside, have you gone to the webcam at their nest?
Jonette
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:34 pm »

Can someone post a link to the eagle's webcam?

[Cheesy]

I am sure living right here by the river, we get a lot of wildlife because the river supports it quite well. Most of the fox I see around here at night are either running to or from the river. Then there are the ducks and geese.

I see a fox about once a month. Of course there are squirrel everywhere, but my daughter has a "favorite" squirrel. She has named him squirley, he has a tail that is just a nub and he will come real close to you, but when he runs away, he is like a jet. I seen him today by the trash cans.

I seen 3 hawks or eagles, I'm not sure what they were, soaring above 41st and Peoria yesterday, they were really high so I am not sure what they were, but they were really beautiful.

As you can tell, I love wildlife and am always paying attention for an opportunity for a siting.

I have 2 dogs,(dalmation and lhasa-mix) and a macaw parrot at home. They are all precious to me.

What kinds of pets do you all have?

[?]

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:02:43 pm by Jonette » Logged
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 10:09:51 am »

Lots and lots of nocturnal bunnies in my neighborhood (Holiday Hills). They all do the "if-I-remain-motionless-maybe-the-ugly-humans-won't-see-me" bit in the front yard.

Have also seen plenty of skunks along the treeline of the Riverside trails...usually very early morning.

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

They say there are no wolves in Oklahoma.  They also say there are no mountain lions, but that is a lie.  There are mountain lions living in the Ouachitas.  I've heard them scream.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »

I saw another fox a few months ago at about 45th and Lewis.  I've seen the raccoon near my apartment several times recently.  Big fella.  Once he took a couple of steps towards me which sorta freaked me out.  He's apparently not scared of humans.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2008, 10:16:18 am »

I don't know about Mountain Lions in Tulsa, but in parts of California they are all over and have attacked joggers. One woman jogger was attacked and I think she died while running on some mountain trail a few years ago. The Mountain Lions go down to where the homes are too.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 10:00:27 am »

One of my rowing partners and I were just finishing up a row this morning when we saw a red fox on the north dock down at the boat house.  He went back up the ramp after getting a drink, then proceeded south along the river bank foraging as he went.

I was not aware of this, but apparently the foxes are fond of shoes and have stolen a few over the years from rowing club members.  That was my partner's biggest concern that none of our shoes had gone missing.  There were also a couple of cats wandering the west bank this morning as well.

The big Oktoberfest tent was coming down as I left the parking lot this morning kinda wish it was a 10 day event like the fair [Sad]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Porky
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2008, 07:17:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Got to love that "you cant catch me" look.
http://www.tulsabeautiful.com/foxincemetary/index.htm

Good grief.......that thing looks like it's part coyote!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2008, 06:33:11 am »

I saw one running down Cheyenne Ave on Saturday. I think the Tulsa Run(ners) scared it up out of the river.
mspivey
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 01:00:53 pm »

Check out my friend Kevin's urban Tulsa wildlife.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcactionphoto/sets/72157606449833965/
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »

Midtown Owl:
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=9460772

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »

"The mountain lion photographs were taken between 5 and 6 a.m. on Dec. 22 and 23. State wildlife officials say it’s one of the rare instances of a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in Oklahoma.

He speculates the mountain lion must have been traveling the river bottom and followed deer and turkey scent to his corn feeder, where the trail camera was located."

http://newsok.com/trail-camera-snaps-a-big-cat/article/3429730?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0blUQbTVl
http://newsok.com/investigation-pending-in-oklahoma-city-officers-arrest/article/3429735
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:44:36 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »

It's not that rare.  I have heard plenty of stories (and from people who don't believe in big foot).  I just saw a picture of one in a backyard in Madill from last summer maybe.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
MDepr2007
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 08:29:50 am »

I heard a single scream/roar of a big cat both nights while camping last Fall, at Washington Irving Cove South on Keystone Lake. The first night I wasn't sure as it woke me up. The next night I was awake , drying up leaks in the tent when I heard it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org