A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:17:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 367655 times)
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:40 pm »

You guys are hilarious...

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2019, 12:39:07 pm »

Former GM plant & complex (top & middle pic right) now operated by Tinker AFB Oklahoma City

First new Tinker hangars nearing completion

Col. Kenyon K. Bell gives briefing about current construction progress of the maintenance facility at Tinker Air Force Base that will support the Air Force's new tanker, the Boeing KC-46 Pegasus. Two hangars are visible behind Bell, the 72nd Air Base Wing Commander at Tinker. [Photos by Jim Beckel, The Oklahoman]

Construction workers first broke ground on the new series of hangars in 2016. The base now provides Oklahoma with an economic impact of more than $4 billion, and is the largest single-site employer in the state.

"You think about adding 1,300 jobs to that, it is going to only increase the economic impact we have on our local community," said Bell.

Saturday, January 26, 2019 | by Dale Denwalt:  https://www.oklahoman.com/first-hangars-for-air-forces-new-kc-46-tanker-almost-complete/article/5621260

The first KC-46 Pegasus has been delivered to the U.S. Air Force from its manufacturer Boeing just as the first of 14 maintenance hangars for the aircraft are nearing completion at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:11:37 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2019, 07:06:06 am »

I'm really curious what will eventually happen to a carvana in ~15 years. I'm not sure if Carvana the company would be around or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if the building isn't a car selling facility in 10 years. They generally aren't place where you would expect a typical Hertz/Turo style operation. Do you think they could be converetd to office/retail?

The actual office area of  Carvana location is about the size of a QT, the tower portion with the cars in it, each floor is under 450sqft. They really are not that big that you could convert it into something else if the fail as a car vending machine.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2019, 12:10:14 pm »

The actual office area of  Carvana location is about the size of a QT, the tower portion with the cars in it, each floor is under 450sqft. They really are not that big that you could convert it into something else if the fail as a car vending machine.

Agree 100%--you've done some research.

Are they actually a car vending machine.   Don't claim to know all the 'ins and outs' about Carvana; maybe it's a vending machine or maybe not.  Have no idea what these glass encased cubicles will cost to build or if they could be scrapped.  They do look impressive, IMO with little knowledge of how they work, let alone how they could be repurposed.

Some information about Carvana; it costs $5 million to build each vending machine.

The company, formed in 2012, entered its first market in January 2013. As of Dec. 31 it had sold 71,900 vehicles, generating $1.4 billion in revenue, the company said in its 2017 annual financial report.

But Carvana has yet to turn a profit, and as of Dec. 31 its accumulated losses totaled $316.9 million.

Carvana building automotive 'vending machine' in Indianapolis:  https://www.ibj.com/blogs/19-property-lines/post/69941-carvana-building-automotive-vending-machine-in-indianapolis

I recall my marketing professor at the University of Central Oklahoma saying, "if it doesn't work in New York, Los Angeles or Chicago market it in Oklahoma City; if it doesn't work there, take it off the market."

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #334 on: January 27, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »

There's one that I drive by frequently that's on Scottsdale Road at the 202 Freeway. I drove around it one day and someone was getting their car out of the building, and I just kind of chuckled about the whole thing.

I guess the idea works for those that don't want the whole hassle of going to a dealership because they're to busy binge watching Portlandia.

I did do a little research on the vehicles that they sell, I'm looking for something right now but not in a hurry to buy, and priced cars they had in inventory with similar cars through other dealers including Carmax and private sales, and Carvana was easily $1500.00 to $3500.00 above everyone else. I guess I'm just a cranky old fart that still wants to go look at, test drive and checkout the vehicle I'm going to buy before paying for it. With Carvana you don't get to actually see and touch the car until you've paid for it and taken delivery. You then have seven days to return it if you don't like it. Reviews I've read are mixed, but it's just not the way I want to buy a used car.

https://goo.gl/maps/N9UtBKN6dGo
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #335 on: January 27, 2019, 01:26:41 pm »

Carvana was easily $1500.00 to $3500.00 above everyone else.

Of course they are. They have to pay for the stupid gimmick car vending machine towers.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:36 pm »

Of course they are. They have to pay for the stupid gimmick car vending machine towers.

No kidding. I figured that out in the first five minutes of my research and I have an education from Tulsa Public Schools.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:04:19 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2019, 07:19:28 pm »

Prefer slightly used cars; something broken in with less than 50,000 miles in the 20115-17 range.  Have purchased brand new vehicles before; however, the insurance (full coverage) will cost you extra buck$ a month--not to mention if you've had any citations on your record.  

Plus you need 'uninsured motorist' in Oklahoma because our state has a high rate of drivers who don't have any insurance whatsoever. Oklahoma loves to compete with Texas:

Texas continues to have the highest uninsured rate of 17.3 percent, followed by 14.2 percent in Oklahoma, while Massachusetts has the lowest uninsured rate at 2.8 percent. Six states—Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Vermont—and DC have uninsured rates at or below 5 percent.  Sep 13, 2018

As far as a dealership like Carvana, they have a good selection of certified vehicles under warranty--just don't have extra money to donate to their collection plate.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2019, 09:21:04 pm »

Prefer slightly used cars; something broken in with less than 50,000 miles in the 20115-17 range.  Have purchased brand new vehicles before; however, the insurance (full coverage) will cost you extra buck$ a month--not to mention if you've had any citations on your record.
If "you" buy any kind of performance car, it's nice to know the car's history of abuse or lack of abuse.  New is more expensive but if you keep it forever it's not so bad. 

Plus you need 'uninsured motorist' in Oklahoma because our state has a high rate of drivers who don't have any insurance whatsoever.

I believe "uninsured motorist" insurance only covers medical expenses.  It won't fix your car.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2019, 09:46:08 pm »

If "you" buy any kind of performance car, it's nice to know the car's history of abuse or lack of abuse.  New is more expensive but if you keep it forever it's not so bad. 

I believe "uninsured motorist" insurance only covers medical expenses.  It won't fix your car.

It only covers medical expenses of passengers in your car that do not have medical insurance and only in an accident that you are not at fault for and if the other driver has no/insufficient insurance. It's basically pointless.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:27 pm »

What is your transportation goal?  Minimize cost per mile?  Maximize the good feels of driving newer car?  Minimum maintenance?   Your goal is pretty good, but if you look for something north of 50k and under 100k, you can save many thousands of upfront cost with little or no additional cost per mile.  And with today's cars, generally get something that will last a long time, if you want to hang on for a while.  Well, except for Dodge cars...Dodge cars are gonna drain you!  They have been Fiat for quite a while now, and everything that goes along with that...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2019, 05:25:20 pm »

It only covers medical expenses of passengers in your car that do not have medical insurance and only in an accident that you are not at fault for and if the other driver has no/insufficient insurance. It's basically pointless.

Thanks for the information Red Arrow & Swake--did confirm this IMO too--to be pointless.   Plan to replace one of my current vehicles next year; my current insurer will attempt to add uninsured motorist;  they ask you to sign that you refused 'uninsured motorist.' 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:48:27 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #342 on: January 29, 2019, 05:35:09 pm »

Oklahoma City's Historic Skirvin Hotel

Skirvin ghost tales may get a Hollywood treatment:

The Skirvin Hilton Hotel and Effie, the fabled ghost who supposedly haunts the historic landmark, may soon be featured a Hollywood movie based on tales told by NBA players who say they've had encounters with the tragic and sometimes amorous apparition...

...We were quite aware of Effie, who legend says was a former maid impregnated by the hotelier and oil wildcatter W.B. Skirvin and then locked in the room on the 10th floor until she gave birth.

ESPN and Variety reported Monday afternoon the hotel will get the Hollywood spotlight with Imagine Entertainment announcing it has optioned an upcoming Players' Tribune oral history article on the Skirvin with the movie set to star Kyrie Irving of the Boston Celtics and “Uncle Drew” fame.

The reports do not indicate whether the studio will be filming at the historic hotel, but based on past response by the hotel's current owners, Marcus Hotels and Resorts, film crews may find themselves unwelcome guests.

Once the baby was born, the tale goes, Effie jumped, baby in her arms, to her death.

Repeat after me: It never happened.

Skirvin ghost tales may get a Hollywood treatment: https://www.oklahoman.com/skirvin-ghost-tales-may-get-a-hollywood-treatment/article/5621437
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:42:05 pm by Laramie » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #343 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:27 am »

Oklahoma City's Historic Skirvin Hotel

Skirvin ghost tales may get a Hollywood treatment:

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:48 pm »

Thanks for the information Red Arrow & Swake--did confirm this IMO too--to be pointless.   Plan to replace one of my current vehicles next year; my current insurer will attempt to add uninsured motorist;  they ask you to sign that you refused 'uninsured motorist.'

They all require that - state law.

According to my insurance people...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org