A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:56:32 am
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 367454 times)
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2019, 12:39:33 pm »

Monarch building construction update via OKCTalk forum.

Notice all the construction canes throughout this area--all the way to the state capital building top background.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:35 pm »

Carvana coming to Oklahoma

Credit: OKCTalk

Work has begun on the Memorial Road site.

After purchasing a car online, customers can select the option to pick up their car from the vending machine location. When they arrive at the site, customers find their transaction in a kiosk and the car is dispensed...

...The company will continue to offer car delivery to a home or business as an alternative.

The new facility, which will be built at 1800 W. Memorial Rd., will consist of a 5,800 square foot building and vending tower.

Carvana bringing car vending machine to Oklahoma City:  https://kfor.com/2018/07/13/carvana-bringing-car-vending-machine-to-oklahoma-city/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:32:46 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2019, 09:47:45 am »

I'm really curious what will eventually happen to a carvana in ~15 years. I'm not sure if Carvana the company would be around or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if the building isn't a car selling facility in 10 years. They generally aren't place where you would expect a typical Hertz/Turo style operation. Do you think they could be converetd to office/retail?
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:04 am »

I'm really curious what will eventually happen to a carvana in ~15 years. I'm not sure if Carvana the company would be around or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if the building isn't a car selling facility in 10 years. They generally aren't place where you would expect a typical Hertz/Turo style operation. Do you think they could be converetd to office/retail?

Great question.  When I first heard of Carvana; my first thought, why do you need a car vending machine.  You can track the delivery then arrange to drive the vehicle off when you pick the thing up.   

As you mentioned; could they be converted to office/retail?   Probably the office pods of a massive car dealership if and when the delivery novelty wears off.  Just don't see this sustainable long term--because 'it's my car and I want it now...'

It's like seeing those new vehicles being delivered on the freight trains.  As children, we use to hunt pigeons & tadpolds near the OKC freight yards downtown; when we came across cars and cattle on freight trains and thought; man, if we can figure out how to get the car off the freight train; it would be easy to drive it off.  We gave up and kept catching pigeons & tadpoles--til that novelty wore off and mother put her foot down--either clean up after the pigeons/tadpoles or let them go.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »

Interview with Mayor David Holt:     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7dy4gjOxzc

The mayor said he made no apology for the downtown focus of MAPS 1 and MAPS 3 but to the extent MAPS for Kids was about neighborhoods, "I believe that demand exists once again."

In his speech, Holt reviewed several dozen ideas for MAPS 4.

Falling into broad categories, among them were mobility, education, sports and entertainment facilities, economic development and job creation, social ills, and neighborhood enhancement.

Transit was citizens' No. 1 request in MAPS 3, he said, "and it is again in MAPS 4."

Improved bus service, including express buses, bus shelters and streetcar extensions are on the list.

Voters have consistently supported MAPS extensions and bond proposals for sidewalks but in a city spread across 621 square miles, Holt said, "there is still much to do."

Sports and entertainment venues could be in the mix:

• Upgrading Chesapeake Energy Arena and practice facilities for the Thunder are vital, Holt said.

New State Fair Arena

New State Fair Arena
• A $96.6 million coliseum, designed for horse shows, is proposed to replace Fairgrounds Arena.

New multipurpose soccer & American football stadium
• A multipurpose stadium could become the home of the Energy soccer team, the mayor said.

Holt said the South Oklahoma City Chamber has floated the idea of an aerospace job training center.

Analysis: Plotting a new course for MAPS 4:  https://www.oklahoman.com/analysis-plotting-a-new-course-for-maps-4/article/5620675

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2019, 11:31:31 pm »

Laramie,

What is going or what has already replaced the old race car track?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tulsasooner78
Citizen

« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18:23 am »

Parking
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:38 am »

I'd love to see OKC get another hockey team (ECHL) and play in State Fair Arena.  Looks ideal for it.  Having the old Turnpike Rivalry back would help both fanbases.  I see alot of old Blazer fans at Oiler games right now.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2019, 08:40:35 am »

Laramie,

What is going or what has already replaced the old race car track?

As Tulsasooner78 mentioned--parking.    The old stock car races at the Grand Stands & Taft Stadium are a thing of the past.   Neighborhoods on N.W 10th & May (Grand Stands) and N.W. 23rd & May (Taft Stadium) complained of the constant noise those venues generated from the stock car events.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:31 pm »

Oklahoma City brewing district

Pic via OKCTalk forum

Three new breweries opening soon and three already established, Film Row District is quickly becoming a craft beer destination...

Oklahoma Gazette - New brews: https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/brewing-district/Content?oid=5524691

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:20 pm »

Sounds suspicious....how could a Scotsman be angry while surrounded by his own brew?? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:16 pm »

Sounds suspicious....how could a Scotsman be angry while surrounded by his own brew?? 

My thoughts exactly.  This Welshman is always happy when surrounded with his brews.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2019, 09:13:33 am »

My thoughts exactly.  This Welshman is always happy when surrounded with his brews.

Oh, no...Welsh...?   My best friend's family is Welsh - Mom a war bride!  Still a bunch of them 'back home'.  And I did some tracking on my family - there were a couple of Welshmen hiding in the woodshed...!   (But mostly Irish.)

THAT explains a lot....!!  Lol...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:23 pm »

Oh, no...Welsh...?   My best friend's family is Welsh - Mom a war bride!  Still a bunch of them 'back home'.  And I did some tracking on my family - there were a couple of Welshmen hiding in the woodshed...!   (But mostly Irish.)

THAT explains a lot....!!  Lol...

The primary rules of being a Welshman:

-No vowels.  Ever.  We can't be seen as compromising like the Poles who allow the occasional vowel between their "Z's" and "Y's".
-Short, wide, webbed feet.  We taught ducks to walk.
-Must be shorter than 5 feet tall.  Allows us to walk in many interesting places and hide in any beer vat.
-Yes, we are still arguing that J.R.R. Tolkien ripped off our kind when he wrote "The Hobbit" from nodding off in a Welsh pub one day
-Welsh rarebit (i.e. rabbit) did not come from Wales, it was actually St. Peter's way to get the misbehaving Welshmen out of Heaven, to wit:

"There is no evidence that the Welsh actually originated Welsh rabbit, although they have always had a reputation for being passionately fond of it (a fourteenth-century text tells the tale that the Welsh people in heaven were being troublesome, and in order to get rid of them St Peter went outside the Pearly Gates and shouted ‘Caws pobi’ (Welsh for ‘toasted cheese’)—whereupon all the Welsh rushed out and the gates were shut on them)."

That's us in a nutshell.  Toasted cheese and beer.  We love it!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2019, 09:18:48 am »

The primary rules of being a Welshman:

-No vowels.  Ever.  We can't be seen as compromising like the Poles who allow the occasional vowel between their "Z's" and "Y's".
-Short, wide, webbed feet.  We taught ducks to walk.
-Must be shorter than 5 feet tall.  Allows us to walk in many interesting places and hide in any beer vat.
-Yes, we are still arguing that J.R.R. Tolkien ripped off our kind when he wrote "The Hobbit" from nodding off in a Welsh pub one day
-Welsh rarebit (i.e. rabbit) did not come from Wales, it was actually St. Peter's way to get the misbehaving Welshmen out of Heaven, to wit:

"There is no evidence that the Welsh actually originated Welsh rabbit, although they have always had a reputation for being passionately fond of it (a fourteenth-century text tells the tale that the Welsh people in heaven were being troublesome, and in order to get rid of them St Peter went outside the Pearly Gates and shouted ‘Caws pobi’ (Welsh for ‘toasted cheese’)—whereupon all the Welsh rushed out and the gates were shut on them)."

That's us in a nutshell.  Toasted cheese and beer.  We love it!

No kidding!!  Friend is short, married a tall woman and had tall kids...interesting family photos...

What's to argue about - there is no doubt of Tolkien's inspiration!

Mom was wonderful person!  Second home - got fed twice each day - there and at regular home!   And always lots of Coca-Cola which we never got at home!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org