A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:27:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1083394 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1050 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:12 am »

The UCAT property is still a prime location for a 4-year residential university. It could add 10,000 (or 20,000) students living on campus and next to downtown. It would provide demand for pizza joints, chinese food, bars, restaurants, a grocery store and other amenities. It would significantly impact sales tax revenue for the city. And almost no city in the country has this type of contiguous vacant property in its core that could be the site of a greenfield university.

Under what realistic scenario could UCAT/OSU-Tulsa become a 4-year residential university and utilize even a fraction of that land over the next 25 years?  Does UCAT even have the legal ability, even if it had the financial capacity, to make that happen?  It seems highly unlikely OSU will ever do anything with its Tulsa campus that will undermine its Stillwater campus. 

I’m all for a 4-year residential university in that area, but the obstacles are so huge it just doesn’t make sense to continue to let all that prime land sit fallow for 3-4 decades on the off chance some miracle might happen.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1051 on: June 20, 2017, 11:30:22 am »

Under what realistic scenario could UCAT/OSU-Tulsa become a 4-year residential university and utilize even a fraction of that land over the next 25 years?  Does UCAT even have the legal ability, even if it had the financial capacity, to make that happen?  It seems highly unlikely OSU will ever do anything with its Tulsa campus that will undermine its Stillwater campus.  

I’m all for a 4-year residential university in that area, but the obstacles are so huge it just doesn’t make sense to continue to let all that prime land sit fallow for 3-4 decades on the off chance some miracle might happen.

I think you master plan the whole area with the stakeholders (OSU, Langston, THA, TDA, TPS).  Sell the western half of the UCAT land to private developers with a set of development guidelines for a residential neighborhood.  For example the area south of John Hope Franklin could be higher density apartments while the areas to the north could be a mix of townhomes and single family homes.  OSU and Langston would then have the areas east of MLK to expand their campus.  And THA would have areas to the north of the campus and east of MLK for mixed-income housing.  The wooded area on the hill would make a great park space.  Just as an example..

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1052 on: June 20, 2017, 12:38:16 pm »

Great map!

I don't see a 4 year university happening.  They've had a long time to do it, there are many restrictions (don't compete with Langston or TCC), there won't be any state money, and OSU doesn't want to compete with its main campus.  It would be great to see some of that land opened up for a master development of some kind... particularly if the master is incremental development! 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #1053 on: June 21, 2017, 10:24:33 am »

There's something being built next to Dilly Diner at 412 East 2nd Street. Sign says "The Tulsan, coming September 2017." Any ideas what that is?
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1054 on: June 21, 2017, 11:22:35 am »

https://www.facebook.com/torey.brown.5/posts/977356812367241?match=dGhlIHR1bHNhbg%3D%3D

New bar coming this fall. Had to do some sleuthing but Facebook was the only thing to turn up results.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1055 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:34 pm »

Holiday Inn near the ballpark to break ground in 90 days.  Reports that the Hampton is doing good business.  Both good news.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/promise-hotels-to-build-holiday-inn-express-in-brady-district/article_fe706e50-43bb-5763-8d73-605965d6ce70.html
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1056 on: July 11, 2017, 08:42:38 am »

Doubleshot will move from 18th & Boston to a new building on a currently empty lot at 1633 S Boulder.  That area needs some serious infill development.  Not sure if their site includes parking but there are several lots around this location.  Rendering:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:44:28 am by SXSW » Logged

MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1057 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:40 am »

I haven't seen anything to confirm it, but I've heard from a source that Vintage 1740 (also there at 18th and Boston) is relocating to within the IDL. Not sure there exact plan, but they seemed sure it was legit.

Hope that little corner of Tulsa doesn't crumble. Always liked that intersection.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1058 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:05 am »

I haven't seen anything to confirm it, but I've heard from a source that Vintage 1740 (also there at 18th and Boston) is relocating to within the IDL. Not sure there exact plan, but they seemed sure it was legit.

Hope that little corner of Tulsa doesn't crumble. Always liked that intersection.

When established businesses move out, but stay nearby, the area can grow!  It is unlikely a start-up Double Shot could have been successful had they needed to build something new to get started.  So this gives an opportunity for some new idea.   Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2017, 10:10:09 am »

Doubleshot will move from 18th & Boston to a new building on a currently empty lot at 1633 S Boulder.  That area needs some serious infill development.  Not sure if their site includes parking but there are several lots around this location.  Rendering:

15th to about 11th is somewhat of a desert aside from BCBS & the church.  I’m glad to hear this!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1060 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:51 pm »

When established businesses move out, but stay nearby, the area can grow!  It is unlikely a start-up Double Shot could have been successful had they needed to build something new to get started.  So this gives an opportunity for some new idea.   Smiley

I like this attitude. I hope something neat goes in there. That corner has turned into somewhat of a "best of Tulsa" with the best BBQ, best coffee, best wine bar and soon to be best beer (American Solera). Oh, and the best rockabilly bar. It will be tough if 2 of those move so shortly,  but it will give opportunities for other places to come in. Maybe another bro bar or organic locally-sourced fresh farm produce cafe with large white square plates.

This is great news for Doubleshot. They built a bit of a coffee empire and exemplify excellence with some of the best coffee I've ever had (and I'm a pretty big coffee snob). At this point, they could probably move to quite a few different cities and still be very successful so it is good to see they are investing big to stay here.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1061 on: July 12, 2017, 01:41:51 pm »

This area has had more stability lately than in a long while.  If BurnCo would expand to dinner hours, like its new Riverwalk location, it would help boost the area.  Losing Vintage would be a shame, I like the fact that it is not downtown, which gives it a more relaxed and neighborhood vibe.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1062 on: July 12, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »

This area has had more stability lately than in a long while.  If BurnCo would expand to dinner hours, like its new Riverwalk location, it would help boost the area.  Losing Vintage would be a shame, I like the fact that it is not downtown, which gives it a more relaxed and neighborhood vibe.

Due to the nature of how BurnCo smokes their meat and they don’t cut corners like a certain couple of Tulsa-based chains do, they may simply not have the capacity to handle a dinner, especially considering how long it takes to properly do brisket or pulled pork. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:04 pm »

Due to the nature of how BurnCo smokes their meat and they don’t cut corners like a certain couple of Tulsa-based chains do, they may simply not have the capacity to handle a dinner, especially considering how long it takes to properly do brisket or pulled pork. 

That may be true, but it isn't stopping them from doing dinner service at the new Riverwalk location.  Of course, that may be more an admission that the lunch crowds out there simply are not very good and they have to do dinner to make it work.   
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1064 on: July 12, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »

That may be true, but it isn't stopping them from doing dinner service at the new Riverwalk location.  Of course, that may be more an admission that the lunch crowds out there simply are not very good and they have to do dinner to make it work.   

That’s entirely possible.  I think I also read where the kitchen in the Riverwalk space is huge so they may have more room for more Hasty Bakes.  They were not quite open before we moved so I didn’t get a chance to visit the new location and see the new layout. 

Hey, speculation on the internet is far more valuable than a firsthand visit, right?  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org