A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:41 am
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076596 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #780 on: August 29, 2016, 10:03:17 am »

I do believe you have figured it out.

High property values, high taxes and building costs make building new "affordable" places with all the goodies a bit of an oxymoron.

I disagree. As stated above, the higher taxes isn't an issue. Furthermore, Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas and even Denver (in comparison to the Denver market) have plenty of what I would consider "affordable" nice newer condos ($100-$350k) in the more walkable urban areas of town. They tend to be pricey compared to suburbs, but not outlandishly priced like in Tulsa. There are many in Minneapolis that, were they in downtown Tulsa, I would be seriously interested in. Once you consider the overall higher prices of real estate in those cities, it is even more frustrating that they have plenty of urban condos regular young professionals can afford while Tulsa has virtually zero.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Minneapolis-MN/pmf,pf_pt/condo_type/5983_rid/0-350000_price/0-1228_mp/45.026404,-93.189211,44.905922,-93.344393_rect/12_zm/

How do those cities, with much higher property values and mostly higher real estate tax have so many nice condos for cheaper (per sq ft) than the 50 new condos we've been talking about in Tulsa? Economics of scale. Build a 100 unit complex and you can cut the cost per square foot down considerably. Plus the competition lowers prices.

Maybe the Tulsa developers thought that no competition = charge as much as possible without realizing that no one has to buy them. I hope a company will step up with a plan to build a big condo building so downtown can turn into a real neighborhood with homeowners rather than just a short term rental stop.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #781 on: August 29, 2016, 10:39:32 am »

Why is there a tax abatement for an apartment complex at 75th and Mingo?

I'm not entirely sure there is. But on both properties it shows a drastic increase in taxes for next year. I assumed there was some abatement in place for each this year, but stand to be easily corrected. It could just be that this is year one for both and an adjustment goes into effect next year. T'was a quick and dirty assessment, I admit!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #782 on: September 01, 2016, 09:27:12 am »

Interesting article from KOTV on developments in the Brady District:

The big one is that the Kaiser Foundation has purchased the old warehouses at 424 N Boulder north of the Brady Theater and are asking for almost a million dollars from the Brady District TIF for streetscaping around an undisclosed project at the site.

The long stalled Flats on Archer are asking for $225,000 in Brady TIF money

The planned Holiday Inn Express at Archer and Detroit is now being built by the Ross Group and they are asking for the $112,000 in Brady TIF money

http://www.newson6.com/story/32946944/kaiser-foundation-other-groups-plan-for-brady-district-development
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #783 on: September 01, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »

The big one is that the Kaiser Foundation has purchased the old warehouses at 424 N Boulder north of the Brady Theater and are asking for almost a million dollars from the Brady District TIF for streetscaping around an undisclosed project at the site.

The planned Holiday Inn Express at Archer and Detroit is now being built by the Ross Group and they are asking for the $112,000 in Brady TIF money

http://www.newson6.com/story/32946944/kaiser-foundation-other-groups-plan-for-brady-district-development

Is this photo from the article "The Flats on Archer" which is described as the lot next to Hey Mambo?

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #784 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:46 pm »

In other downtown news, the Boxyard announced many new tenants:

Announced tenants for The Boxyard
• Abelina's
• Beau & Arrow
• Citizens Bank
• Dwelling Spaces & JoeBots Coffee
• Hodges Bend patio bar
• Modern Mess
• Rose Rock Microcreamery
• The STEMcell
• The Sweet Boutique

Rose Rock Microcreamery coming downtown to The Boxyard

A cold front is coming to the East Village.
Rose Rock Microcreamery is scheduled to bring super premium ice cream by mid-October to The Boxyard, a $2.5 million shipping container development going up at Third Street and Frankfort Avenue, Rose Rock owner Jason Decker said.
“It’s going to be super dense, super creamy, super delicate,” said Decker, 47, of Tulsa.
“I have traveled this country eating ice cream. I can tell you who does it really well and who probably needs some assistance. Hopefully, that experience will help us create a product that Tulsa can be excited about and be proud to have here.”
Rose Rock Microcreamery, named after Oklahoma’s state rock, is among the new Boxyard tenants announced this week by project developer Casey Stowe, a principal in Nelson-Stowe along with Elliot Nelson. The others are Hodges Bend patio bar; Sweet Boutique, a gourmet candy and nuts store; and three businesses that specialize in women’s clothing: Abelina’s; Modern Mess and Beau & Arrow.
The Boxyard will be spread over a 14,000-square-foot lot in East Village. A total of 39 shipping containers, some stacked on one another, will be spread over the property, which will focus on local retail but also include restrooms, a restaurant and service providers, he said.
Other announced businesses in The Boxyard are Dwelling Spaces and Joebot’s Coffee Bar, The STEMcell and Citizens Bank, Stowe said. The Boxyard will have staggered openings throughout October and early November with a grand-opening scheduled sometime in mid-November, he said.
“I’m very excited about the diversity and quality level of the tenants we have lined up for The Boxyard,” Stowe said in an email. “The response has been overwhelming and it has been exciting to hear about all of the concepts out there. I have tried to be pretty selective in my tenant choices, and I think Tulsa will be pleased with what we are putting together.
“I have said before that this will be the densest retail in Oklahoma, but I also believe it will be the most exciting.”
About 75 percent of the available space is spoken for, and “given our current negotiations,” the development expects to open at or near capacity, Stowe said.
“Everybody thinks that shipping containers are an inexpensive way to build, that you just kind of set them down and sheet rock and you’re done,” he said in a telephone interview.
“There’s a significant amount of work that goes into taking something that’s not designed for humans and making it built to code,” he said. “We’ve worked with the city to make sure these are fully compliant. That makes it not as economical as everyone would think.”
Billed as Oklahoma’s first microcreamery, Rose Rock will specialize in small-batch ice cream made 2½ gallons at a time and of 100 percent natural ingredients, Decker said. It will contain butterfat of 16 percent and no more than 30 percent air. For a frozen dessert to be labeled ice cream, it must contain at least 10 percent milkfat and less than 50 percent air.
Besides traditional flavors such as chocolate and strawberry, the year-round, primarily seven-day-a-week store also plans to showcase such varieties as lemongrass buttermilk, Mexican vanilla and salted caramel.
The business, which will operate out of the center of the development, also will have vegan options, he said.
“I love creativity,” said Decker, a former Sport Clips franchise owner. “I wish I had the skill to be an artist. I love colors. I love flavors. I love the visual aspect.
“Ice cream gives us that. It gives us the ability to say, ‘What do we want to make today?’”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/smallbusiness/we-all-scream-for-it-rose-rock-microcreamery-coming-downtown/article_baff633b-12a6-599c-9775-7ef6b04a0242.html
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #785 on: September 01, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »

Shipping container development....  geez....

Well, if they weld them together properly, at least there could be some built in tornado sheltering there maybe...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #786 on: September 02, 2016, 07:01:12 am »

Interesting development that should provide a unique space, so bully for that I suppose. More retail begets more retail. But it does seem like a strange space for a bank...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #787 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:48 am »

It's worked in Vegas. A little different style of shipping container development (I guess it's a thing), but it's been a pretty cool little development.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/downtown-container-park-las-vegas-2?select=8AzoAWOvwguVP5HVECMPKA
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #788 on: September 02, 2016, 08:28:41 am »

The TIF money for these three projects was approved, all this money is from landscaping around the projects.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/kaiser-foundation-focusing-on-residential-and-business-development-to-anchor/article_672c4d67-c3c4-530b-9957-792a78d4a1e3.html

The World has some more information on the new Kaiser Foundation project:
Ken Levit, GKFF executive director, said plans are still coming together, but the hope is to have residential and office uses for the property in the 400 block of North Boulder Avenue, currently home to the Western Supply warehouses.
“GKFF owns the land and is planning a development consistent with our goals of creating a vibrant district that is attractive for young, creative people to live and work in Tulsa,” Levit said. “We are studying various options and hope to accommodate both residential and office uses on the property and do so in a way that can help define the northern edge of the (Brady) Arts District.”

Roy Peters, development authority chairman, said details he has heard about the project show it will rise well above the current one-story structure there today.

BouldinDomer
Citizen

« Reply #789 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »

I'm not sure how old these drawings are, or if they are still relevant, but here are some drawings of the "Brady District Flats" from the Sikes-Abernathie website. 

http://www.sikesabernathie.com/portfolio-image31.html
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #790 on: September 02, 2016, 01:28:57 pm »

I'm not sure how old these drawings are, or if they are still relevant, but here are some drawings of the "Brady District Flats" from the Sikes-Abernathie website. 

http://www.sikesabernathie.com/portfolio-image31.html

Thanks, BouldinDomer.  Those are the drawings I remember seeing, but I don't remember when or where.

Looking south on Boston toward M.B. Archer Street:

Looking northwest at Boston and Archer:

Looking toward the entry from M.B. Archer Street and north along the west side of Boston:

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #791 on: September 03, 2016, 11:54:26 am »

That's some great infill right there!

johrasephoenix
« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2016, 03:02:23 pm »

Awesome!  I always thought this project had died a slow death.  This will really add to the neighborhood.

That's a lot of progress for the Brady.  If we can ever get the BOK parking lots developed Archer could eventually become one of Tulsa's best streets. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #793 on: September 03, 2016, 05:56:27 pm »

Awesome!  I always thought this project had died a slow death.  This will really add to the neighborhood.

That's a lot of progress for the Brady.  If we can ever get the BOK parking lots developed Archer could eventually become one of Tulsa's best streets. 

Cough, OKPop, cough...

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #794 on: September 03, 2016, 06:32:47 pm »

Cough, OKPop, cough...

That still upsets me.

But, with the Kaiser foundation redoing the warehouse, these lofts, the Holiday Inn Express and The View,  Archer St. is still going to be completely remade.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org