A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:09:39 am
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1077100 times)
takemebacktotulsa
Citizen

« Reply #510 on: March 23, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »

What about the yellow and red art deco building to the south? Is that one toast as well?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #511 on: March 23, 2016, 06:25:09 pm »

What about the yellow and red art deco building to the south? Is that one toast as well?

In an early on conversation with Patel, he was looking at trying to see if the front facade of the deco building could be incorporated in the lobby/entrance to the hotel.  Would be great if this could be done. Can't tell if thats the case in the rendering but I get the feeling not.

I so wish we had our Art Deco Museum started so we could perhaps save the facade and put it there, but at least we can maybe reproduce it if we get some samples of the material. 

Believe it or not this is one of my favorite Art Deco Buildings.  I love its simplicity and bold coloring.  There aren't any other examples of this type in Tulsa or this region of the country.  It's a great example of some of the, how do you say it, basic, fundamental design language of Art Deco.  I love seeing these types of buildings as they are records that show us how "modernity" got its start.  They were the first iteration of what we can now look back on and see as being the beginnings of the modern style of art and architecture, yet they still have a unique design language.

I think I will call them up again and if the developers and designers are taking it down, will coerce/guilt them make a donation to the National Art Deco Museum effort as penance.  Cool

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #512 on: March 23, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »

While it is unfortunate if they don't incorporate the facades of the deco buildings into this project... I will say at least it's a significant project in terms of scale/impact. The city just better tie the demo permits to construction permits. Don't pull an OKC with Stage Center and let them be knocked down before the developer have construction docs, permits, and financing ready to go. The height of this project would only be a few floors shorter than the Cimarex Tower.

As for the mid-market or affordable apartments downtown... it will never happen. That's why areas like the Pearl, Brady Heights, etc. are so important. Those will fill in a void of more affordable housing/mid-market housing. Urban centers are just too expensive to develop for people with incomes under $50,000 in Tulsa. Unless the city wants to subsidize housing, you just aren't going to see anything new built for people who can't afford $1,000 or more a month for rent downtown. There will be a handful of the Coliseum type properties, but that's it - just the reality of housing costs in the U.S. anymore. Incomes have been stagnant for way too long (not trying to start a political debate) and construction costs have gone up with inflation, makes building "affordable" units very difficult.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #513 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:41 am »

What are the chances a movie theater comes to Downtown?

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #514 on: March 24, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »

What are the chances a movie theater comes to Downtown?

I have heard that question quite a bit lately.

In fact my wife and I were downtown last weekend and the couple next to us in a bar were talking about how they wished there was a theater downtown. After talking with them for a bit we found out that they are from Enid and drive to Tulsa once a month to stay downtown to go out. I asked if they ever went to OKC for the same purpose and they looked at me like I had snakes for hair. The girl said "Ewww, no. We hate Oklahoma City!" I bought them a round of drinks just for that.

Grin
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #515 on: March 24, 2016, 12:21:01 pm »

In an early on conversation with Patel, he was looking at trying to see if the front facade of the deco building could be incorporated in the lobby/entrance to the hotel.  Would be great if this could be done. Can't tell if thats the case in the rendering but I get the feeling not.

I so wish we had our Art Deco Museum started so we could perhaps save the facade and put it there, but at least we can maybe reproduce it if we get some samples of the material. 

Believe it or not this is one of my favorite Art Deco Buildings.  I love its simplicity and bold coloring.  There aren't any other examples of this type in Tulsa or this region of the country.  It's a great example of some of the, how do you say it, basic, fundamental design language of Art Deco.  I love seeing these types of buildings as they are records that show us how "modernity" got its start.  They were the first iteration of what we can now look back on and see as being the beginnings of the modern style of art and architecture, yet they still have a unique design language.

I think I will call them up again and if the developers and designers are taking it down, will coerce/guilt them make a donation to the National Art Deco Museum effort as penance.  Cool

I like the building too, but in looking at it, there's not much to save, the deco aspects are in the brickwork of the building itself, mostly with the variations in the brick color. There really isn't any ornamentation that I can see to save.

In the end, it's a small building surrounded by more important examples of deco.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #516 on: March 30, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »

No real details other than looks to be NORDAM properties.

http://www.newson6.com/story/31601748/brickhuggers-plans-development-on-11-acres-in-tulsas-east-village
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #517 on: March 30, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »

11 acres of downtown property is really significant.  If I didn’t hate the cliche’ so much I’d say it’s a real potential game-changer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #518 on: March 30, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »

100% with Conan. That is a huge chunk of Nordam's downtown property holdings. I'm so glad the announcing party is Brickhugger. I can't see them doing a suburban apartment complex there and they have a great feel for the Tulsa market. Have they ever announced a project that didn't happen in the manner advertised?

I looked up Nordam's downtown holdings and mapped the same. Also pulled Tulsa County Land Records for the properties and didn't see anything had actually been transferred yet.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »

More details on the new GKFF development with Magic City Books:

Lone Wolf to open a restaurant and bar in the Brady District
Lone Wolf, known in Tulsa for its popular food truck, will open a restaurant and bar in the Brady District in 2017.
The restaurant will be part of a development at Archer Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard, said Lone Wolf owner, Philip Phillips. The site being restored by the George Kaiser Family Foundation and will include multiple businesses, including Magic City Books.
“It is going to be our first brick-and-mortar, full-service restaurant,” he said. “It is going to be fast-casual, and we will be updating the menu a little bit.”
Fans will be able to get Lone Wolf’s specialty items, such as the banh sandwiches and kimchi fries, but other dishes will be added, such as appetizers, to adapt the menu for restaurant service. Because the building has to be renovated, the restaurant is expected to open in the first or second quarter of 2017.
“We are incredibly excited. We feel like it is time,” Phillips said. “Tulsa has been patient with us. We have grown from a food truck where people had to sit on the curb to eat, to a take-out business, to a restaurant.”
“We want to have a place where people can come and enjoy themselves and spend some time.”
The building is not currently occupied, and Phillips had plans to meet this week with contractors about the development.
Lone Wolf launched its first food truck in Tulsa in September 2012. Tulsans immediately loved the signature dishes, and customers had no qualms about waiting in long lines.
Lone Wolf operates out of a commissary kitchen at 37th Street and Harvard Avenue, and it launched carryout service at that site at the end of last year.
The truck makes regular lunch stops at places such as Guthrie Green and the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame, as well as dinner and Sunday brunch at The Fur Shop, 520 E. Third St. The brunch menu is different than the regular menu.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/lone-wolf-to-open-a-restaurant-and-bar-in-the/article_90c614f7-b5c3-505b-b0f8-85a1d5860a73.html

More great news for downtown and the Brady District! It is really becoming a hub of the best of Tulsa!
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #520 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:07 am »

Does anyone know what is being built next to the YMCA lofts at the NW corner of 5th and Cheyenne?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1503316,-95.9934416,3a,39.1y,143.93h,85.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT0oNA4qtLlK7iuB57irgqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I'm guessing a parking garage for the YMCA lofts. It was previously a parking lot so anything would be an upgrade. There are a lot of PVC pipes sticking up which could be for drainage for the garage.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #521 on: April 25, 2016, 11:25:27 am »

Does anyone know what is being built next to the YMCA lofts at the NW corner of 5th and Cheyenne?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1503316,-95.9934416,3a,39.1y,143.93h,85.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT0oNA4qtLlK7iuB57irgqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I'm guessing a parking garage for the YMCA lofts. It was previously a parking lot so anything would be an upgrade. There are a lot of PVC pipes sticking up which could be for drainage for the garage.

I was thinking it was part of the hotel that is going in next door, but can't say for sure.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #522 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:47 am »

I was thinking it was part of the hotel that is going in next door, but can't say for sure.

It's a Marriott Residence Inn

http://www.anishhotelsgroup.com/pages/new-developments.php

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #523 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:47 am »

(I was posting this and took a call... but will post it just the same)

202 W. 5th is going to be a ~110 room extended stay Residence Inn by Marriott, $8.8mil permit was taken out by Sheridan Properties (rumored to be owned by Anish Hotel Group, that owns the South Tulsa Aloft and 8 other hotels in the region). 253,000 Square Feet.  Anish doesn't list anything about the project directly and I couldn't find anything about Sheridan Properties.

July 2015. Tulsa World.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/yet-another-new-downtown-tulsa-hotel-planned-this-time-near/article_bfcef537-a412-54a2-b211-7a0255d0efe8.html

Building permit is on page 3:
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/453519/commercial_public_apr_2015.pdf

The Journal Record indicates it is to be 5 stories tall:
http://www.anishhotelsgroup.com/media/The%20Journal%20Record%20Article.pdf

They filed an addendum on Nov. 13, 2015 and a change of dimension on February 11, 2016. The architect is John Sanford.
Info on the permit:
https://www.buildzoom.com/property-info/202-w-5th-st-s-tulsa-ok

Info from the owner:
http://www.anishhotelsgroup.com/media/The%20Journal%20Record%20Article.pdf

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #524 on: April 25, 2016, 12:08:53 pm »

Has anyone heard about possible development on the Borden truck lot, for lack of a better term, between Boulder & Main on Cameron? I was downtown this weekend with some friends from New Mexico and one of them mentioned what an eyesore that was while we were walking to the Inner Circle. After drinks we walked back down to Laffa for dinner and the subject came up again. A guy, no idea on his name, at the table next to us said he had heard overtures have been made about purchasing the lot but that the dairy were asking for a totally unrealistic price for it.

I have to agree with my out of town friends on this, that lot is an eyesore. It sure would be nice if someone could get that land and develop it.

I'm not sure what the story is with the grassy area just South of Inner Circle and North of that truck lot is either, but someone needs to get on top of mowing it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:10:24 pm by Ibanez » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org