A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:29:30 am
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076598 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

Someone mentioned in the Meridia page wondering why the Hilton Garden Inn project was so far behind... I think I figured out why. It's grown significantly in scale, will now be 15 stories and include 50+ apartments.

From GH2's website:

HILTON GARDEN INN

Collaborating with our client, the Hilton brand and community stakeholders, we designed this iconic downtown urban development as an adaptive reuse of a prominent, busy corner in Downtown Tulsa.

When complete, this dynamic structure will house both a Hilton Garden Inn and 53 upper-scale apartments, within a total of 309,150 SF and 15 stories. The available amenities, including an indoor pool and spa, fitness center, bar and dining area, and meeting rooms, will be shared between the hotel and apartments.

The building's design is inspired by its context within the heart of Tulsa's Downtown, an engaging architectural blend of both Tulsa's historical past and the newer, more contemporary BOK Center. A sky bridge on the north side of the building spans 2nd Street, connecting the hotel to a parking garage. We recently completed the Conceptual Design phase, and the project is scheduled to be completed in 2017.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »

very cool
will believe it when I see it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2016, 08:37:33 pm »

Someone mentioned in the Meridia page wondering why the Hilton Garden Inn project was so far behind... I think I figured out why. It's grown significantly in scale, will now be 15 stories and include 50+ apartments.

From GH2's website:

HILTON GARDEN INN

Collaborating with our client, the Hilton brand and community stakeholders, we designed this iconic downtown urban development as an adaptive reuse of a prominent, busy corner in Downtown Tulsa.

When complete, this dynamic structure will house both a Hilton Garden Inn and 53 upper-scale apartments, within a total of 309,150 SF and 15 stories. The available amenities, including an indoor pool and spa, fitness center, bar and dining area, and meeting rooms, will be shared between the hotel and apartments.

The building's design is inspired by its context within the heart of Tulsa's Downtown, an engaging architectural blend of both Tulsa's historical past and the newer, more contemporary BOK Center. A sky bridge on the north side of the building spans 2nd Street, connecting the hotel to a parking garage. We recently completed the Conceptual Design phase, and the project is scheduled to be completed in 2017.

That looks really good. The project growing is better than shrinking. I hope it happens.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »

It is an interesting design. Some of the elements to it remind me of other buildings in Tulsa, but I just can't picture which ones. I hope that it comes close to the rendering, I think it would look good on that corner.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #499 on: March 23, 2016, 03:27:41 am »

Looks like it still destroys, rather than incorporates, the Art Deco Oil & Gas Journal building, right?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2016, 07:56:49 am »

Looks like it still destroys, rather than incorporates, the Art Deco Oil & Gas Journal building, right?
Different property / different project.
This is across the street, immediately to the south of the new Cimarex bldg

Edit:  It appears I'm wrong... huge change from

I find it hard to believe there is so much demand for "upscale" apartments downtown..   when's the midscale coming?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:53:56 am by BKDotCom » Logged
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #501 on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:29 am »

Yeah, nothing going on at the site (that I can see)... Hampton Inn & Suites is progressing nicely, though.
As for affordable housing, wonder what the price point is going to be for those downtown YMCA building apts?

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #502 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:19 am »

Yeah, nothing going on at the site (that I can see)... Hampton Inn & Suites is progressing nicely, though.
As for affordable housing, wonder what the price point is going to be for those downtown YMCA building apts?

It's the same company doing both hotels.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2016, 10:37:29 am »

Very cool.  But did they really call this "adaptive reuse"?   That's pretty funny.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #504 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:11 am »

Very cool.  But did they really call this "adaptive reuse"?   That's pretty funny.

I hope this new rendering is the reverse side of the building from the original image. Even so this looks like at most keeping part a facade of the original buildings, not a real "reuse".

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #505 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:09 am »

I hope this new rendering is the reverse side of the building from the original image. Even so this looks like at most keeping part a facade of the original buildings, not a real "reuse".

Both images taken at same angle.   The skywalk connects to the parking garage.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #506 on: March 23, 2016, 11:43:04 am »

Both images taken at same angle.   The skywalk connects to the parking garage.

Ah, the city garage, not the OnePlace garage. I get the angle now. Looks like the Journal Building is toast.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #507 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53:13 am »

Definitely removes more of the character of the existing building, but this is one of those instances where I say progress marches on.  It is an ambitious project in a key location where they already own the land. Preservationists will hate on me - but I'd rather have the rendering than the empty building that sits there now. 

Of course, I'd rather have 4 new 4 story buildings occupying an empty lot somewhere, but...

- - -

Re the continue explosion of high price point apartments. The markup is better. The "renowned" that comes with building high price point items is better. Even if Best Western makes more money than the Waldorf (I don't know that to be true), the guy that brags about owning the Waldorf is seen as more impressive.

And if you think about the scale, it really isn't that much. It is a lot in the context of downtown - but there are a town of houses, apartments, and rentals that cost more around town. Luckily, we are at the point where certain people are happy to be a one car family, or live in a condo they can safely abandon for the winter when the go to Florida, or are willing to pay a premium just to be downtown. Lets exploit that while we can, and the more modest price point should fill in as we go along (though, nationally, that isn't happening in most housing markets).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #508 on: March 23, 2016, 12:23:46 pm »

Unless I've got the corner completely wrong I don't see any buildings there that I'd get upset about losing. This is a much better building, and will do a ton to energize the arena area. When they say the project is scheduled to be complete, are they including construction, or are they just talking about the design phase? If it's the former than they better start yesterday.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #509 on: March 23, 2016, 12:36:04 pm »

Unless I've got the corner completely wrong I don't see any buildings there that I'd get upset about losing. This is a much better building, and will do a ton to energize the arena area. When they say the project is scheduled to be complete, are they including construction, or are they just talking about the design phase? If it's the former than they better start yesterday.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1533776,-95.993856,3a,75y,77.87h,86.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5MSJJ6Kb7O-hKhwriwDxBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org