A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:06:15 pm
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Public Schools Spending  (Read 285831 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »

... for God's sake, don't even pretend reducing taxes has anything to do with the fact that we have reduced tax revenues.

Taxes rates have nothing to do with declining revenue.  It's all because the price of oil tanked.  Oklahoma is trying to imitate Venezuela.

Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2017, 08:33:57 am »

Taxes rates have nothing to do with declining revenue.  It's all because the price of oil tanked.  Oklahoma is trying to imitate Venezuela.

Grin

I know you don't, but sadly, too many in this state believe that is true.

And they don't believe cutting the gross production tax from 7% to 2% makes a difference either...  How many are going to believe Dewby that wind power is the big problem?  Again, too many!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:26 am »

I know you don't, but sadly, too many in this state believe that is true.

And they don't believe cutting the gross production tax from 7% to 2% makes a difference either...  How many are going to believe Dewby that wind power is the big problem?  Again, too many!

Wind power cost Oklahoma $60 million in revenue. Cuts to the gross production tax cost us one billion dollars in revenue. Now which is the big problem?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #468 on: May 12, 2017, 09:49:23 am »

Wind power cost Oklahoma $60 million in revenue. Cuts to the gross production tax cost us one billion dollars in revenue. Now which is the big problem?

I see a lot of my friends who work in the oil patch are the ones promoting this the most.

“Don’t pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #469 on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:06 am »

Exactly!!   Wind power subsidies are one of those little jewels that actually work the way they are supposed to.  Bringing development, new technology, more good paying jobs, and diversification of the economy!  A LOT more than $60 million worth...  

It really sucks for the RWRE Clown Show that it is working that way - like Conan says, it pulls the curtain aside just a little bit...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #470 on: December 21, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »

Statewide Vote Sought on Production Tax Hike

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/statewide-vote-sought-production-tax-hike

A group led by a longtime oil and gas industry leader is seeking a public vote in November on whether to impose an across-the-board 7 percent tax rate on oil and natural gas production in Oklahoma to help fund public education.

Mickey Thompson with Restore Oklahoma Now, Inc. filed paperwork on Wednesday with the secretary of state's office. About 90 percent of the revenue would be earmarked for a $4,000 teacher pay raise and to address the ongoing teacher shortage. The other 10 percent would fund early childhood education.

The former head of an oil and gas industry trade group, Thompson says early estimates show the tax hike would generate about $333 million in the upcoming fiscal year.

The group will have 90 days to get about 123,000 signatures.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #471 on: December 21, 2017, 03:13:45 pm »

I'm not sure which is worse, letting the legislature decide or the unwashed masses in rural areas who will be pandered to not to starve the erl patch.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #472 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:48 pm »

How not to treat teachers:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/10/577010534/outcry-after-louisiana-teacher-arrested-during-school-board-meeting

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #473 on: January 10, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »

It's only a matter of time...we are always looking for the next, lowest way to treat teachers and other public employees in this state.  I am sure Failin' and her minions will study this in detail and adopt as quickly as possible.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #474 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:36 pm »

I'm not sure which is worse, letting the legislature decide or the unwashed masses in rural areas who will be pandered to not to starve the erl patch.

And now it is reported that the oil industry is pushing back against the production tax being raised from 2% to 7% to support $4000 per year per teacher in pay raises.

I guess the oil industry figures a dumbed down population is better for cheap roughnecking.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2018, 01:31:30 am »

I just don't understand.  Do these evangelical conservative republicans realize that the people they are cheating will be the ones who will be taking care of them at the old folks home?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24:24 am »

It's only a matter of time...we are always looking for the next, lowest way to treat teachers and other public employees in this state. 

Think what message that sends to kids about violence directed towards teachers.
Dont know if government-sanctioned violence against American institutions (teachers, nurses, press) is the new normal, given the cues from the White House.

Speaking of cues, The school board president's gavel tap was allegedly a pre-aranged signal
https://kadn.com/deyshia-hargrave-speaks-to-news15-board-member-calls-board-presidents-story-into-question/

for a school security guard (with a history of violence) to pounce.
http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_3ce3ba3e-f657-11e7-94cd-7746befdf4b8.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #477 on: March 05, 2018, 11:23:49 am »

Why are West Virginia teachers on strike? Take a look at their salaries

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/health/west-virginia-teachers-salaries-trnd/index.html

For now, only three other states rank lower than West Virginia for teacher salaries:
Oklahoma
Mississippi
South Dakota
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #478 on: March 05, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »

Why are West Virginia teachers on strike? Take a look at their salaries

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/health/west-virginia-teachers-salaries-trnd/index.html

Race to the bottom!!

TeeDub
« Reply #479 on: March 12, 2018, 10:11:13 am »

I am torn.

Am I supposed to support the teacher walkout?   We voted on teacher pay not that long ago and the general public didn't support it then.   If any other public servant (they get paid with my tax dollars, so really that is what they are) decided to randomly not show up to work, I would be irate.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org