A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243502 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:39 pm »

What they should do is get some groups together... TPS, private schools, TU and the city and work out some type of universal city stadium that could be used by many different groups of people.  For HS football they could have a game of the week that could either be public or private schools and hold play off games.  I am not sure what type of practice facilities TU has, but they could be involved to have some of thier practices there for both football and soccer.  Then there is a feasibility of a Soccer team since the stadium will have already been built.  It does not have to be 22,500, but I think something between14000 and 19500 could be reasonable.  You could also hold a TPS sponsored Marching band competitions (yeah, I went there) since that is a real big thing around here with Union, BA and Owasso.  And, a higher capacity outdoor location for concerts.  It would be a nice fit in the area, especially when you consider the possible expansion of the flood control stuff and the places that will be within a reasonable walking distance once everything is said and done.

Well, I believe if we wait for "they," it'll probably never happen.   Wink
Later today/tonight, check your msgs for more detailed info...

TU already has a small soccer/track&field stadium with limited parking that barely seats 1000.
When I went to a playoff game last fall against San Diego, TU put in some temp stands, and announced attendance was a little over 1600 (which looked like a sellout to me)

Unless there's a feasibility study to justify it, I'm not sure a 14000+ seat stadium would fly... Union-Tuttle Stadium holds approximately 10k... http://www.tulsasports.org/general/909/stadiums

"The Pearl" happens to be situated exactly halfway between Rogers High School and Central High School.
Last I checked, Rogers (or is it College HS now?) had to play their home football games at Webster... Central plays their home games at Booker T... Hale plays home games at East Central... Edison plays home games at LaFortune Stadium...

The Rebooting of Rogers' Football Program
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20120714_29_B1_CUTLIN518246

OKC once passed a second MAPS project for schools... wouldn't be too big a stretch to see a Vision for Kids project come to fruition after the next poorly constructed Vision referendum is defeated...

Here is the closest thing I have to a "template"... WakeMed's stadium in Cary, NC doesn't host high school football, but I think this will give you an idea or two...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WakeMed_Soccer_Park

WakeMed Soccer Park is a major soccer complex located in Cary, North Carolina, United States. Originally opened in 2002 as the home of the Carolina Courage of the WUSA, WakeMed Soccer Park is now the home to the Carolina RailHawks of the North American Soccer League. The North Carolina State Wolfpack men's and women's teams of the ACC play select matches there and the complex regularly hosts major tournaments such as the NCAA College Cup, the ACC Soccer Championships, and the NCHSAA high school state soccer finals.

Location    Cary, North Carolina
Broke ground    2001
Opened    May 2002
Owner    Wake County
Operator    Town of Cary

Surface    Natural Grass
Construction cost    $14.5 million
Architect    Envirotek, Inc.
Capacity    7,130

The stadium just recently was expanded to over 10k capacity....  http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffense/archives/2012/12/31/now-its-built-so-will-they-come-first-look-at-expanded-wakemed-soccer-park-and-other-big-changes-for-carolina-railhawks-in-2013

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:42:58 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2013, 09:29:02 am »

Selser Schaefer Architects moves into renovated Tulsa Ice Co. building

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20130315_32_E1_CUTLIN512625

When Janet Selser and Robert Schaefer first came across the long-abandoned Tulsa Ice Co. building, they saw opportunity everywhere - even when they saw random shoulder-high stacks of bowling alley lanes in a back corner.

"We were able to reuse the bowling alleys as table tops," Schaefer said.

Four and a half months and $3 million later, the former ice factory is the new headquarters of Selser Schaefer Architects, as well as one of the newest landmarks in the Kendall-Whittier district.

Thursday's grand opening also marked the 20th anniversary of the company.

Selser Schaefer, known for work such as the Tulsa Community College Center for Creativity, the new Hardesty Arts Center in the Brady District and the Tulsa Boys Home building - as well as plenty of other buildings in the area and across the nation - had been considering a move for quite some time.

The Tulsa Ice Co. building at 2002 E. Sixth St. gave the architectural firm a building with true character as well as an opportunity to join the rebirth of Kendall-Whittier.

"It's great to be part of the resurrection of the neighborhood," Schaefer said.

Ed Sharrer, executive director of Kendall-Whittier Main Street, said Selser Schaefer is a perfect complement to the neighborhood.

"The company fits with the district and complements the creativity of the other businesses here," he said. "It may help catch the eye of residents who might not have realized this district existed, and encourage them to move their companies here as well."

Selser estimated the building went up in the late 1920s, when Tulsa Ice Co. sold ice by the block for keeping food cool. After home refrigerators replaced the need for ice, the building was used as a foundry and an auto warehouse before becoming vacant in the 1980s.

Selser Schaefer used the structure of the building as a guide when putting in new features. For example, the open loading dock on the side became a patio that employees can use on breaks.

The main draw of the building is the 110-by-75-foot factory floor, which now serves as an open work area for most of the firm's 40 employees, including the two principals.

The form of the building was perfect for the way Selser Schaefer operates, Schaefer said.

"The success of what we do depends completely on collaboration," he said. "Now everyone can collaborate in one space."

The now-white room combines abundant natural lighting from the original window frames with lights along the walls that aim upward and reflect off the ceiling.

Echoing sound was originally a problem, but the firm didn't want to cover up the framework of the ceiling with a grid of acoustical tile. Instead, specially cut tiles were installed between the beams in some areas while the original ceiling was left exposed in others. Although the coverage isn't complete, the tiles still prevent echoing.

Rather than cubicals, employees work on long wooden tables surfaced by the former bowling alley lanes. Bookshelves containing reference material and two giant rulers blend decoration with function, Schaefer said.

"You can really get a sense for how big 60 feet is," he said.

The side office to the west that houses the marketing and business development team is smaller but similarly open and dominated by long tables. Because the company kept the original outer walls intact, it's easy to see where the original brick suddenly merges into the concrete blocks that were added to the building later in its life.

The same philosophy carries over to the waiting area, where the walls show the indentions of original features that were later removed, Selser said.

"This room used to have a second floor," she said. "You can still see the joists in the wall where the dividing floor was."

Though the renovation work is complete, Selser Schaefer is hoping to bring the exterior of the building even closer to its original state. The firm plans to carefully sand off the paint to try to find the original Tulsa Ice logo, and is holding out hope that even more of the building's original decorations can be located.

"I wish we could find the T-Ice sign," Selser said.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20130315_32_E1_CUTLIN512625
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:46 am »

Just drove by last night...looks great!
dbacks fan
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:13 am »

I worked in that building when it was one of AP&S (Automotive Parts & Supplies) around 1997. They had two locations, this one and one on the north side of 41st just east of I-44. I think the one on 41st was originally Hobbs Trailer Service just behind Carpet City I think. Cool to see this building getting a new life and purpose.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »

Just drove by last night...looks great!

They did a nice job.

I was certain that the east boundary for the Pearl was Utica Ave. Why does the Tulsa World want a building that is in Kendall-Whittier to be in the Pearl?
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:59 pm »

Well I think that whole street to Lewis should be considered Pearl IMO - its a nice wide street and the fancy curve is pretty cool also more toward Lewis Smiley There only so much open space left before Utica..
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »

One of our soccer fans... (with no prompting on my part)   Grin

"Drillers Stadium is working out pretty well, but I propose "Tulsa Athletics Stadium" at 4th/6th & Elgin! Easy access to the IDL, a short stroll from Fassler Hall and, if you look real close, it's even got the TA Crest in the middle of the field. Smiley "

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2013, 05:32:47 pm »

One of our soccer fans... (with no prompting on my part)   Grin

"Drillers Stadium is working out pretty well, but I propose "Tulsa Athletics Stadium" at 4th/6th & Elgin! Easy access to the IDL, a short stroll from Fassler Hall and, if you look real close, it's even got the TA Crest in the middle of the field. Smiley "

Have him shuffle it a bit to the West sidewalk and add ground floor retail all along Elgin, and also shuffle it to the sidewalk with ground floor retail along 6th, and I am in.  Would be really nice if Elgin could become a good, pedestrian friendly connector from the Deco District and 5th street corridor to the Blue Dome and Greenwood areas.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:37:29 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »

Iraq War veteran's Pearl District mural dedicated in front of Tulsa city councilors, community

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/iraq-war-veterans-pearl-district-mural-dedicated-in-front-of-tulsa-city-councilors-community

TULSA - A mural spanning 35 feet was unveiled Wednesday afternoon in the heart of the Pearl District in front of Tulsa city councilors, Pearl District Association representatives and members of the community.
Painted by artist and Iraq War veteran Josh Butts, The Pearl Mural stands 25 feet tall in front of the Tulsa Beef and Provision Building and depicts scenes from the neighborhood's past, present and future.
The mural came about after a Tulsa Beautiful Foundation grant, donations from the Meeks Group and RDS Manufacturing and Pearl District Association board and volunteer work.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »

I had time to walk around the Pearl District this weekend.  Some great views of the city from around there.  And I withdraw my enthusiasm for the artwork... while it is a nice work, couldn't someone at least take a weed-wacker to the sagebrush growing around the front and sides of the building?  It just really peeves me that if not the owner, the resident could; or even the artist.  ARG

What ever happens to old buildings like that?  Cinderblock walls look worn out, big parking area out back.

I walked around quite a bit and found an empty lot with a big pecan crop on the ground.  I had to pick up a bag.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2013, 11:39:14 pm »

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, or this forum for that matter. But here it goes...Screw Downtown. People are going to other places such as Tulsa Hills, restaurant row, south Tulsa/Bixby. Spend the money and devote attention where the people are already going--not where certain people want them to go. Ducking, and donning kevlar.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2013, 07:50:12 am »

People are also going downtown. Eat Street and the McNellie's Pub run this past Saturday brought thousands (not an over-estimation) to the Blue Dome alone. Growth is growth; there is nothing wrong with a drive and park like Tulsa Hills and there is nothing wrong with the park and walk experience in downtown. Both can exist in one city.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2013, 08:12:12 am »

People are also going downtown. Eat Street and the McNellie's Pub run this past Saturday brought thousands (not an over-estimation) to the Blue Dome alone. Growth is growth; there is nothing wrong with a drive and park like Tulsa Hills and there is nothing wrong with the park and walk experience in downtown. Both can exist in one city.

I like to hear about 1000s going downtown for an event. Thousands go to see a show at the arena, too. How many thousands and thousands go to the malls in restaurant row and elsewhere all the time. Truth be told, I view "downtowns" as a dying concept. That's just not where people go on a regular basis anymore--they go elsewhere.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:38 am »

By "people" I think you mean "guido"
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:55 am »

By "people" I think you mean "guido"

Well of course.  Screw the other people!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org