A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:53 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Arrow High School  (Read 13378 times)
EricGarcia
Activist

« on: September 26, 2011, 08:02:41 pm »

Here is an artist rendering of the new facade Broken Arrow High School will receive as part of the $295 million dollar bond issue passed in 2009. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:40:17 pm »

Very nice.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:50 pm »

What?  Someone allowed spending on education in this state?  This must be reported!!!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:04 am »

That is really cool.  Who is the architect on the project?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:23:42 am »

And what they really need is a second high school.  By the time Tulsa was the size of that school system, there were about 4 high schools.  Mega schools are just about as crazy as mega churches.

Same with Jenks and Union.

But that would interfere with football, wouldn't it?  The obvious highest priority of any educational endeavor.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

And what they really need is a second high school.  By the time Tulsa was the size of that school system, there were about 4 high schools.  Mega schools are just about as crazy as mega churches.

Same with Jenks and Union.

But that would interfere with football, wouldn't it?  The obvious highest priority of any educational endeavor.

Broken Arrow has three high school campuses today and Union has two. They just don't divide the schools up in a traditional way. Broken Arrow was talking about adding a second upper high school when the economy went south.

Jenks is a bit different and is actually the largest high school in the state on one campus. And even Jenks technically isn't a single high school, the "Freshman Academy" is a semi-separate school on the east side of the high school campus.  Jenks' size is not only about football, though that certainly is important. Jenks has facilities and class offerings that blow away a lot of colleges. The school has an indoor Olympic sized pool, a planetarium, they teach classes like Ornithology, Calculus III and Linear Algrebra and offer absolutely every single AP course that you can.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:56:31 am »

Broken Arrow has three high school campuses today and Union has two. They just don't divide the schools up in a traditional way. Broken Arrow was talking about adding a second upper high school when the economy went south.

Jenks is a bit different and is actually the largest high school in the state on one campus. And even Jenks technically isn't a single high school, the "Freshman Academy" is a semi-separate school on the east side of the high school campus.  Jenks' size is not only about football, though that certainly is important. Jenks has facilities and class offerings that blow away a lot of colleges. The school has an indoor Olympic sized pool, a planetarium, they teach classes like Ornithology, Calculus III and Linear Algrebra and offer absolutely every single AP course that you can.

It's more of a university for kids between 15 & 18 than a high school.  It's a very well-run district and other systems would do good to take a long look at what makes Jenks such a great school system.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:50 am »

It's more of a university for kids between 15 & 18 than a high school.  It's a very well-run district and other systems would do good to take a long look at what makes Jenks such a great school system.

This means I can say "smoting".

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:58 am »

The "Venture Brothers" compound was my first impression.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:43:52 am »

What?  Someone allowed spending on education in this state?  This must be reported!!!

Does spending money on facilities translate to a better education for the students?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:01:59 am »

Does spending money on facilities translate to a better education for the students?

Of course it does. 

Now the math students have an opportunity to measure the pool, calculate the volume, and convert cubic feet to gallons in order to determine how much it would cost to fill the swimming pool with water.  It lends meaning to the book learning.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:32 am »

HA ! No kidding. I can be stupid in a old ugly building too.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »

What does make Jenks such a great school system pray tell?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »

$$$$$$$ Ka-Ching $$$$$$$

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:20:28 pm »

The curriculum is the main thing.  As well, they are incredibly efficient with their money.  Swake had posted the numbers here before, but IIRC they actually do have one of the lower rates of spending per student on their annual budget yet consistently get very good results.  Another thing that helps is parental participation.  I'd argue that Jenks probably has one of the higher rates of parental participation in classroom activities and extracurriculars.  Their facilities are kept in pretty good condition and students take pride in the school.

Swake, care to add anything that I may have missed?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org