A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:53 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351908 times)
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:33 pm »

A hotel/condo tower in that area would be awesome. I can imagine that it would have some of the best views in town. I'll see if I can find out about any plans for this site.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

The site in its current form is set up well for a tower.  The main entrance could be off the street that connects the parking garage to 21st facing the plaza/fountain.  The height would depend on how many hotel rooms and condos would be included but likely over 10 stories, possibly 20.  They could build their pool on top of the parking garage and it would have an amazing view to the northwest.  I imagine the style would be similar to the newer buildings in the Utica Square area but maybe more contemporary, something like the Pan Pacific Hotel in Seattle where I stayed on a recent trip there:

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »

I think a tower in either one of those styles would be fantastic. I espescially like the second one and think it would mix well with the Saint John hospital's architecture. I think something around fifteen stories would work nicely.
waterboy
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

I think this is on an empty lot north of 15th on Norfolk, where it dead ends, on the west side of the street.  There is a dentist office in the house adjacent to the south.  They won't have to tear down any houses.  This lot has a great view of downtown and yes it appears to be gated like the neighborhood to the east..

The owner of Landmark Realty and Landmark Construction has a preliminary subdivision plat proposal before the Metropolitan Tulsa Area Planning Commission for separating a 0.42-acre Norfolk Avenue lot into four lots. This would allow for a central driveway into Maple Terrace Townhomes, a gated community of four town houses just north of 15th Street

I just drove by there. Yes, it is north of 15th street. They tore out a perfectly lovely mediterranean home that sat on that lot about a year ago. I should have suspected they would follow up with plopping 4 homes on the same lot. The view of the downtown skyline is spectacular when the sun sets behind it but it also has a great view of a cluster of highway lights to the North of it. That area is already screwed, might as well gate it off so no one else can enjoy that view.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »

We need an ordinance to not allow gated neighborhoods in midtown.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 09:44:54 pm »

This would be the northwest view from a hotel/condo at 21st & Utica...taken with my iphone from the 6th floor of the parking garage there

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »

That is an AWESOME view. People will pay lots of money to have that out their window. I just hope they're not all outrageously expensive.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

We need an ordinance to not allow gated neighborhoods in midtown.

Unless it's to contain crappy dryvit Tuscan nightmares from creeping out into other neighborhoods where they are out of character with the surroundings.

Oooops, too late.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but I actually like the faux Tuscan along Utica. I don't like it when it finds it's way into residential areas though...

Edit: along 21st, not Utica.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:25:23 pm by ZYX » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »

I think a tower in either one of those styles would be fantastic. I espescially like the second one and think it would mix well with the Saint John hospital's architecture. I think something around fifteen stories would work nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's because of living in Phoenix for 13 years now, there are too many towers that look like that here, that I don't find them attractive. But I also understand how that area of Tulsa has changed since I was last there. I would lean towards a Frank Loyd Wright style similar to the tower in B'ville (the name escapes me at the moment) based on the architecture of the homes and the buildings in the surrounding area. Or maybe something with a Deco flair to it, and maybe The Artist can help me with this, something in a craftsmen style, something to go more with the Swan Lake area. (The former Mrs. D'back loved that area of town because it is so diverse in the styles of homes.)
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I think it's because of living in Phoenix for 13 years now, there are too many towers that look like that here, that I don't find them attractive. But I also understand how that area of Tulsa has changed since I was last there. I would lean towards a Frank Loyd Wright style similar to the tower in B'ville (the name escapes me at the moment) based on the architecture of the homes and the buildings in the surrounding area. Or maybe something with a Deco flair to it, and maybe The Artist can help me with this, something in a craftsmen style, something to go more with the Swan Lake area. (The former Mrs. D'back loved that area of town because it is so diverse in the styles of homes.)

Price Tower.

I understand the thought behind wanting more deco, but I don't think that eeeverything needs to be deco. Even though I LOVE deco, I would rather see something more modern. Yes, if there were quite a few buildings like this in Tulsa, then I wouldn't want another just like it, but there aren't. Tulsa really has no buildings in that style. I think we need some more modern architecture here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:01:58 pm by ZYX » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 11:24:05 pm »

Price Tower.

I understand the thought behind wanting more deco, but I don't think that eeeverything needs to be deco. Even though I LOVE deco, I would rather see something more modern. Yes, if there were quite a few buildings like this in Tulsa, then I wouldn't want another just like it, but there aren't. Tulsa really has no buildings in that style. I think we need some more modern architecture here.

Price Tower. Thank you, I was thinking Philtower and I knew that it wasn't the right name. I actually have a picture of a portrait from Taliesen West of FLW with the drawings of the Price Tower in front of him.

I get the whole "modern/current" style of architecture, and there have been several jokes about it here in AZ, one was from the Sec. of The Interior Earl Butt's I think that "The crop rotation in Arizona is wheat, corn, soy beans, subdivision." and the other is how rapidily the desert was swallowed up by the "March of the red tiled roofs in every direction". I think that something similar to the second photo would work, and I understand that there is not a lot of the style of either in Tulsa, but it's just the old fart 34 year resident of Tulsa from '63 to '98 that my $.02 doesn't think it will fit that area.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »

Point taken. We will just have to agree to disagree.  Smiley I hope this project materializes though.
dbacks fan
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:06 pm »

Point taken. We will just have to agree to disagree.  Smiley I hope this project materializes though.

I agree that we disagree. As I said, just my own $.02, and I do agree that some form of hotel/condo would be great in that location. After watching so much of midtown and areas around downtown die as I was growing up, and now reading about the rebirth of the area excites me. And I have found that when I will be in Tulsa for my 30th HS reunion, and the Drillers are in town that weekend, I am making plans to see a game at the new ballpark while I'm there.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »

Just curious: when was the last time you were in Tulsa?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org