A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 23, 2019, 10:56:28 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Kaiser and philanthropy...  (Read 11763 times)
Rattle Trap
Citizen

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 02:48:00 pm »

So I guess the next question is what's next for GKFF?

Well.....I'm ready for someone to bring a major professional sport to Tulsa lol Wink. Unfortunately the two sports that people actually care about (football and basketball....sorry soccer fans) would crash and burn in Tulsa given our proximity to OKC, KC, and Dallas.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:04 pm »

Well.....I'm ready for someone to bring a major professional sport to Tulsa lol Wink. Unfortunately the two sports that people actually care about (football and basketball....sorry soccer fans) would crash and burn in Tulsa given our proximity to OKC, KC, and Dallas.

People have posted quite a bit about that over the years with a small but loud voice wanting a major league soccer stadium built, perhaps in South Downtown. They often reminisce about the sold-out Chapman Stadium games of the old Athletics.

I might go to a couple games but I thought I'd go to more Athletics games too. Things have changed and after the very short initial hype about the new Athletics wore off, attendance seems sparse.

Soccer fans can be passionate and it's a growing sport. IMO the best shot Tulsa has at a professional team, but they should aim for upgrading the Athletics to top minor-league status first. Also, I wouldn't want a non-profit like GKFF wasting time on getting a pro franchise. That's what billionaires with inflated egos with a penchant for riding on the tax-payer's dime are for!
Rattle Trap
Citizen

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 07:32:29 pm »

https://medium.com/@mikebasch/my-2018-in-the-paris-of-the-heartland-tulsa-f4ebc76ed54c

Although not everything in this article is about the GKFF, it gives you a good idea of "what's next" for the organization. Highlighting the efforts from Tulsa Remote and Mohawk-Peoria Industrial park, etc.

There seems to be a larger effort to bring quality jobs and companies to town than any of us really see.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:35:15 pm by Rattle Trap » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2018, 09:23:22 pm »

https://medium.com/@mikebasch/my-2018-in-the-paris-of-the-heartland-tulsa-f4ebc76ed54c

Although not everything in this article is about the GKFF, it gives you a good idea of "what's next" for the organization. Highlighting the efforts from Tulsa Remote and Mohawk-Peoria Industrial park, etc.

There seems to be a larger effort to bring quality jobs and companies to town than any of us really see.

Great article thanks for posting it.  It mentioned GKFF is actively investing in companies currently located on the coasts and then working with them to potentially open a second office in Tulsa.  Pretty cool.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2018, 10:27:59 pm »

Nice.   Wonder what brought him to Tulsa....?

He mentions time frame - as if 1 year is a time frame...  If we get one of those 'biggies' he is talking about in 5 years, it would be just blind, stupid luck.  And it could happen - "lightning" strikes somewhere all the time.  Why not here?  Time frames for this type of activity had best be planned in 10+ year mindsets.  10 - 20 may be more realistic.

He mentions cyber security and TU...I had couple of interns for over a year from TU.  Jr to Sr year until graduation.  Scary smart kids!  They ended up with the NSA right out of school.  Great for them, but Tulsa lost two more really good ones!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I donít share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2018, 09:16:24 am »

That's interesting to read a perspective of someone working for GKFF and living in the Arts District. Neat they got to work on bringing prospective employers here. Mohawk-Peoria and TGP Phase 3 leave several big opportunities for to bring in great employers and will be great for those employers too. I can imagine that's no easy task even finding one meeting their criteria.

Nice to read a positive view of what has been happening in Tulsa recently, highlighting a few of the reasons young people would want to move here if they knew about it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org