A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:41 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) QT Park - 41st & Riverside  (Read 67161 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2009, 09:32:02 am »

I'm not a voter. I don't vote anyplace.

Might as well have your idiot sign on.

You can prove you're in Tulsa.  Go to HH at Joe Momma's this evening.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:16 am »

Might as well have your idiot sign on.

You can prove you're in Tulsa.  Go to HH at Joe Momma's this evening.

Agreed!

We dared Inteller to come and he was so afraid to he quit posting altogether.
Nic Nac
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37:30 pm »

What is HH?  Sorry, I'm new to the board.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »

What is HH?  Sorry, I'm new to the board.

Sorry, it's Happy Hour.  Please attend if you're available.

The company isn't all that super but the pizza is good.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2009, 12:52:50 pm »

Happy Hour

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=12577.0
OurTulsa
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »

Went by the park last night and then brought the little one back out this morning.

Thoughts: 
Overall, impressed.  A very very good addition of a jewel to our River Trail crown.  Our trail system, particularly on the river, is one of the best I've ever been on and it is getting a significant up-grade and this is definitely one of the highlights. 

Interesting playground for the kids...very unique play equipment (I am still trying to figure out how to use some of it -- the kids all around on the other hand were just using it) and the artificial turfed triangulated berms provide an interesting context and as we discovered mini slope for body sledding or rolling or sitting.  LOVE that they constructed the playground and pavillion under and around a massive shade tree and have planted a nice bank of trees (eventual shade) on the west side close to the usable area...the playground will get used in the summer.  The water features are suttle (have to look out for some) and interesting...some for splashing in and getting your body soaked...and some for sitting up next to and getting your finger tips or toes wet while enjoying the sound. 
I really like the sheltered seating area.  I love the tables and chairs set-up!!  I like that some are under the shelter while others are out under the sun.  I like the large observation deck facing the river.  I wonder though why there isn't some sort of cafe attached to the bathroom structure?  It seems that this set-up was designed with some sort of concession stand(at least) in mind - somewhere to buy cold drinks in the summer or coffee on a summer morning.  I don't even remember seeing a vending machine.  QT could create a small commercial out-post offering an abbreviation of their food and drinks.  Despite that, I did see several couples bring their own food and gather around the tables.  That pavillion, at night, is really spectacular.  The lighting seems really soft.  I can see this as a night gathering destination as well.

My only concern (a small one that I'm sure was thought out): too many kids running to and from the parking lot to the playground right over the bike trail.  The kids don't know to stop and look for cyclists.  I know the answer is...bikes should not be traveling at a high rate of speed through here and most were going slow.  Unfortunately I saw a few whip through...and so of course my concern goes out for the kids.  I didn't go up or down the trail to look for signage informing cyclists to slow down.

On a broader topic, why are there still so many single houses lining Riverside Dr.?  I can so totally see taller apartment buildings lining Riverside from I-44 north to downtown, on the other side of this park's intersection particularly.  I was there last night thinking if I lived nearby I would walk over often just to enjoy a really nice public space at night.  It made me think about how our City does really well at creating great destinations here and there but we are lagging when it comes to creating synergy between uses, or connections without a car and a 15/20 minute drive.  I am having trouble thinking of a chain of destinations that I can access in one trip easily on foot.  The only combo I try with frequency is Utica Sq. and Woodwark Park and it's not a very pleasant walking environment in between these great destinations.  I think we are changing that - downtown.   
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »

I also took the midgets to QT Park yesterday and was very impressed. Overall the kid's playgrounds along riverside are nicer than in most other parts of the city but this one is overall an amazing park. Plenty of places to sit, climb, lay down, eat and play. There were a few jets on the water features that were having issues and some other things but 99% of the parking is up and working perfectly. You could take the features of this park and spread it out and make 3-4 good parks. The seating area and stage/deck are great with great views. The kids play area has really unique, but fun equipment with a great rubber surface. The concrete is textured to help grip and the 7 water features are all unique and entertaining. The pyramid berms are a neat feature and also line up in a way that if your kid is running off, they can be seen easily. There is ample shade and ample parking. When I was there (about 2 in the afternoon) there were probably close to 150 people and you never felt cramped. We counted 50 seats at tables and then all of the other seating areas including pits, berms, benches, etc.
jackbristow
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 09:35:33 am »

The new park and playground is great!  Be sure to have a change of clothes and/or a towel for the kids who will undoubtedly get wet playing in the fountains and water features. 

The artificial turf pyramid shap hills are really nice to stretch out on too and I'm thinking would be perfect for some cardboard box or plastic disc sledding.  We will be making regular trips here with our kids. 

I agree with the notion for a small concessions stand or even vending machine.  However, an ice cream truck has already been smartly hanging around quite a bit.  So there is an option for a treat if he's around.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18:32 pm »

Agree with all the above. Took our 5 and 6 year old twice this week...both times soaked to the bone! The place was packed yesterday. Be prepared to wait for a parking space or make other arrangements.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2009, 02:37:38 pm »

They say this rain won't be letting up for awhile. Roll Eyes

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2009, 05:04:39 pm »

They say this rain won't be letting up for awhile. Roll Eyes

Uh....they were getting wet because of the FOUNTAINS!!!!

Comment on stuff local to you, not here.  Jeez.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2009, 11:57:00 pm »

Me and my girlfriend took her little sister to this park over the weekend. Although I've been here several times already, using it as a starting point for running, I noticed something...missing...

...swings and slides (minus the tiny one that barely has a slope). They are lacking at this playground. Sure, you could use the turf pyramids to slide down, but apparently, angled-spinning things are all the rage at wherever the equipment came from in Norway. Another thing that I noticed was that it was extremely crowded. Kids waited in lines to get on those spinning things, climb on stuff, etc. I suggest that they put another playground area south of the existing one on the other side of the trail (followed, of course, by a sign for bikes saying "Slow Down"). Another thing is that the big tree that they left in place was a great idea...but the big deep pit that it sits in seems like a waste of space...they really should have filled it in with sand for the kids to play in.

Just my observations...

dsjeffries
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2009, 04:15:05 am »

Having been a few times myself, I see nothing wrong with having no slides or swing sets. The point of this park was to be radically different, something they've achieved with great success.

However, there is something missing that should be there: bicycle racks; a parking lot for bicyclists. Especially given our newfound "bike-friendly" title, and our two bike-sharing programs, there should be a way to park one's bike and lock it safely out of reach of would-be bike thieves. Imagine riding your bike there with your family, having to leave them unattended, and then having them stolen.

Bike racks could increase the number of parking spots tremendously and could encourage people to use alternative modes of transportation (physical) to reach what is basically a physically recreational area. QT, GKFF, RPA, you should correct this!  Wink
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:40 pm »

Swing sets and other playground gear is no more, the reason is lawsuits. It's not worth the hassle. They took down all the swing sets from city parks on Columbus, Ohio a few years ago as did Omaha, NE and Atlanta, GA. That is also why McDonalds and Burger King took down that kiddy playroom thing they had. My concern of the parking area is that if it's real busy the likely hood for a car break-in increases. Someone can sit and watch people leave their cars and then go break in. Tulsa need better parking security for trail users.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2009, 04:51:58 pm »

Having been a few times myself, I see nothing wrong with having no slides or swing sets. The point of this park was to be radically different, something they've achieved with great success.

However, there is something missing that should be there: bicycle racks; a parking lot for bicyclists. Especially given our newfound "bike-friendly" title, and our two bike-sharing programs, there should be a way to park one's bike and lock it safely out of reach of would-be bike thieves. Imagine riding your bike there with your family, having to leave them unattended, and then having them stolen.

Bike racks could increase the number of parking spots tremendously and could encourage people to use alternative modes of transportation (physical) to reach what is basically a physically recreational area. QT, GKFF, RPA, you should correct this!  Wink
Couldn't agree more! I saw the park for the first time this weekend and the lack of bike racks (along the most bicycle accessible stretch of Tulsa) is a glaring problem. Couldn't have been an oversight -- the racks must have been ordered and not delivered yet. I can't imagine they'd miss that badly. It even seems they have a spot planned out for bicycle parking east of the restroom building. Just need the racks.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org