A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:57 pm
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 206147 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #405 on: June 23, 2020, 04:25:44 pm »

So they are abating it but not repurposing it?  What is the point of doing that?  Hopefully once abated it gets torn down, it is one of the biggest eyesores in the city.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2020, 04:57:23 pm »

So they are abating it but not repurposing it?  What is the point of doing that?  Hopefully once abated it gets torn down, it is one of the biggest eyesores in the city.

I don't have any inside knowledge on what they are doing with this project, but I am familiar with asbestos renovation/demolitions, generally.  Maybe the exterior panels will be part of the planned asbestos removal. 

To your 2nd questions, based upon the pictures provided above, the exterior panels appear to be removable considering the underlying metal superstructure.  As such, I suspect if the panels are removed, it would then make sense financially to rebuild around the existing metal structure ... but that is a guess.  Several years ago, I believe they did something similar with the building at 1307 South Boulder, i.e., removed the exterior panels and rebuilt around the existing structure.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2022, 08:39:17 am »

I was nearby today and it looked like they were building something in the parking lot just north of this building. It almost looked like an outdoor pavilion and not the shell of a building, but I only caught a glimpse. Any ideas what they are doing there?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #408 on: May 05, 2022, 09:27:50 am »

Hopefully something in preparation to demolish the building... I know Oral Roberts Ministries is still alive, but do they still own the building? Surely it has to come down eventually.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #409 on: May 05, 2022, 02:46:36 pm »

This is owned by Sharp Development, they are using this as a staging site for The Brut. They are building these 'pod' things that are going on top of the existing building that will be the rooftop bar/restaurant for the Brut.

I don't know what Sharp's plans are for the Abundant Life Building but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something similar to The Brut redevelopment. Some sort of hotel and maybe a parking garage and retail. Likely would just strip most of the building down to the skeleton and rebuild it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #410 on: May 05, 2022, 03:38:30 pm »

Interesting.  I was unaware of the Brut hotel
I knew they've been working on the building.
Looks nice.
https://www.bruthotel.com/

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #411 on: May 05, 2022, 04:28:02 pm »

This is owned by Sharp Development, they are using this as a staging site for The Brut. They are building these 'pod' things that are going on top of the existing building that will be the rooftop bar/restaurant for the Brut.

I don't know what Sharp's plans are for the Abundant Life Building but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something similar to The Brut redevelopment. Some sort of hotel and maybe a parking garage and retail. Likely would just strip most of the building down to the skeleton and rebuild it.

Thanks.  Have been driving by the Abundant Life building weekly trying to figure out why there were building something in the parking lot.  Also, really hope that building gets the treatment you described.  The asbestos project was apparently extensive.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #412 on: May 06, 2022, 10:14:04 am »

Sharp also just won the RFP for the redevelopment of the Riverside Route 66 site and plans to do a small hotel there.  I'm interested to know what their plans are for Abundant Life.  They own the entire half block along Boulder except the 6k sf parcel at the south end along 18th St

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2022, 11:00:47 am »

Sharp also just won the RFP for the redevelopment of the Riverside Route 66 site and plans to do a small hotel there.  I'm interested to know what their plans are for Abundant Life.  They own the entire half block along Boulder except the 6k sf parcel at the south end along 18th St

I have only heard that they intend to redevelop the site, so not sure if they will strip the building to the iron or not.  Update article on The Brut in the TW

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/boutique-hotel-the-brut-unveils-scenic-restaurant-bar-addition/article_23565fc4-fd53-11ec-9cf6-13faac80fdee.html

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2022, 06:59:42 pm »

FWIW, on Discovery they have a show called Mysteries Of The Abandoned Hidden America. S1 E2 has a segment on the Abundant Life Building with footage shot inside of it's current state. It does cover the rise and fall of Oral Roberts, most here already know the history, but ther are some photos of the building from it's time as the HQ for Oral.

Nothing on the future of the building though.

It will air on Discovery on 12/1 at 8PM MST time, or it's available on COX On Demand now, probably on other services as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 07:04:30 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org