A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:16 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th and Cheyenne: More parking lots to go away  (Read 30285 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:27 am »

The Riverview neighborhood association hasn't posted it yet but a developer (Kevin Stephens of California working with Metro lofts) has purchased the surface parking running along Cheyenne North of 15th for multi-family construction.

Sorry I don't have pictures yet but the president of the association let me know.  I was told it was a done deal so it was ok to post.  The same developer purchased the Old Temple Israel Synagogue on 14th and Cheyenne.  My understanding is that the he won't tear it down.  It's a sweet building so I'm excited about that.

Artist, do you have any pics of that synagogue?  The only ones I've found are partials.

http://abandonedtulsa.blogspot.com/2005/04/windows-outside-old-temple-israel.html

edited 03/10/08 - Sorry I spelled your name wrong Kevin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:06:38 am by Townsend » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:38:08 am »

Good deal.  Small scale developments are what I would like to see get the ball rolling.

BUT I refuse to get excited until a foundation is laid.  I think I've finally learned my lesson on Tulsa development (5 announcements for each project that actually happens).  The fact that this is quiet gives me hope, but I refuse to get excited.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »

That was part of the original "uptown" plan...I think Paul Coury was going to build townhomes styled units there originally.  Seems like a good use for that land.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:02:21 pm »

That's great!  They should convert the old Synagogue into something like an indoor market or something to support the residential.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:40:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

That's great!  They should convert the old Synagogue into something like an indoor market or something to support the residential.

It's the old Temple.....moved to Utica Square in the 50's and originally built in the 20's. Like so many older structures it has to be brought up to code which is very costly. It's in awful condition. Hull's concept was real good for the Barthalemos Foundation to use it for a  disadvantage childrens music center.

dsjeffries
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:31:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

The Riverview neighborhood association hasn't posted it yet but a developer (Kevin Stevens of California working with Metro lofts) has purchased the surface parking running along Cheyenne North of 15th for multi-family construction.[/quote[
That's great!!  I work at the United Way, which is right across from those parking lots.  It'll be fun to watch the progress.

Sorry I don't have pictures yet but the president of the association let me know.  I was told it was a done deal so it was ok to post.  The same developer purchased the Old Temple Israel Synagogue on 14th and Cheyenne.  My understanding is that the contract for that sale had a no tear down stipulation.  It's a sweet building so I'm excited about that.

Artist, do you have any pics of that synagogue?  The only ones I've found are partials.

http://abandonedtulsa.blogspot.com/2005/04/windows-outside-old-temple-israel.html

I have some pics...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »

Thanks for the pics.  Looks like the jungle was starting to reclaim it.
dsjeffries
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:50:24 pm »

quote:

Not only the jungle, but some homeless, too.  There's a broken window on the Northeast side that they've used to get into the building... When I went on my photographic inquiry, I thought about climbing in but decided not to since I didn't know who or what was in there.
I've heard the inside used to be spectacular, though...

If someone wants to go with me, I'll gladly climb in... [Tongue]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:51:02 pm by dsjeffries » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:12:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

quote:

Not only the jungle, but some homeless, too.  There's a broken window on the Northeast side that they've used to get into the building... When I went on my photographic inquiry, I thought about climbing in but decided not to since I didn't know who or what was in there.
I've heard the inside used to be spectacular, though...

Pass, I'm just a little guy.

I'll stand by the window and yell, "haul donkey" if a cruiser swings close.

DearMildred
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:05:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

quote:

I am dying to get in there.  Does anybody have a Maglite I can borrow?
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »

Good to hear. I live in that neighborhood and pass by the Temple Israel several times a day. A shame its going to waste.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:54:53 pm »

My assistant was talking with the developer just today on the phone. He told me that the developer is interested in having me look at the Synagogue dome to possibly do some artwork in it. Can't be sure if he will actually call me, but I hope he does. Will ask what his ideas for the place are.  I had always driven by that Synagogue and imagined doing something with it, a personal home perhaps. But looking at the foundation gave me pause. It has large cracks in it where parts have shifted up and down quite a bit. Will definitely have to be jacked up in places and braced before you can do anything.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:40:43 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:48:08 pm »

The developers will go before the BOA on Tuesday March 11 to ask for a variance to build multi-family residential in what is currently zoned OM (Office Medium). No designs have been presented yet, but we might see some on Tuesday. I'd hope that they would also ask for a set back variance at the same time so they can build up to the street.

This residential develeopment should create a nice buffer for the historic homes on Carson from the businesses on Cheyenne and Boulder. The neighborhood intends to support this project without any resistance to design or hieght, we only want to ask that the parking be placed in back and that the setback is at a minimum in keeping with the other multi-family buildings in the area.
OurTulsa
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 05:29:17 pm »

Here's what's avail. on the BOA's website:

http://www.incog.org/City%20of%20Tulsa%20BOA/BOA%20Agenda/20649a.pdf
dsjeffries
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 05:43:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

Here's what's avail. on the BOA's website:

http://www.incog.org/City%20of%20Tulsa%20BOA/BOA%20Agenda/20649a.pdf

While I support the idea of townhouses, I was really hoping these would face Cheyenne instead of some center driveway...  I want to see REAL townhomes that line the street and have parking in the rear...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org