A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:35:18 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camelot Conundrum  (Read 20735 times)
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« on: December 03, 2006, 01:55:14 pm »

Camelot poised to survive I-44 expansion:

quote:
Camelot will remain despite I-44 widening
By TOM DROEGE World Staff Writer
12/3/2006

With its broken windows and crumbling facade, the abandoned Camelot Hotel in Tulsa looks ripe for the wrecking ball.

Neighbors living next to the tattered structure crossed their fingers, hoping the approaching expansion of Interstate 44 would be the perfect reason to knock it down.

The hotel, along with more than 270 other properties set to be uprooted, sits within a stone's throw of the roaring highway.

But the old hotel is not going anywhere, says the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. And people living in the area are upset.

"It brings the whole neighborhood down," said Gary Buitrago, who can see the Camelot from his backyard. "It really is an eyesore."

About two weeks ago police arrested five men in connection with burglary and vandalism of the hotel. Witnesses saw objects being thrown from its upper windows.

Police say they've been called to the 330-room hotel several times in the last few years to deal with trespassing, burglaries and prowler reports.

"It's a huge distraction from the rebuilding of Brookside," said Cary Eskridge, who lives a few blocks away.

Buitrago, Eskridge and others living in the area were hoping eminent domain might do something they considered good - remove the Camelot. After all, the shadowy structure looms just north of I-44 on Peoria Avenue.

Turns out only a small piece of the hotel's land will be needed.

"The right of way barely grazes it," said ODOT spokesman Cole Perryman. "I know there has been a lot of talk about it, but right now it is being minimally impacted."

So the Camelot, in all its former glory, will apparently go unscathed.

A glitzy landmark in the 1960s and 1970s, the hotel became famous for hosting Elvis Presley and Richard Nixon when they made trips through Tulsa.

Built in the 1960s to resemble a medieval castle -- complete with a moat, drawbridge and turrets -- the hotel became a popular spot for banquets and galas, honeymoons and special occasions.

Its heydays are long gone. In 1996 the Tulsa City-County Health Department condemned the building for health and safety code violations.

Marharishi Ayur-Ved University, an institution that teaches transcendental meditation, bought the building in 1993 for $1.15 million with intentions of transforming the property into what it called a "holistic, meditation-friendly" hotel.

Representatives of Marharishi Ayur-Ved University could not be reached for comment.

Land acquisition firms recently sent letters to about 53 property owners between Riverside Drive and Peoria Avenue on the north side of I-44.

These properties are part of what ODOT calls the first phase of a 272-property "total take" required to make way for the I-44 widening from Yale Avenue to Riverside Drive.

April 2007 is the goal for buying up those first phase properties and relocating occupants.

Tom Droege 581-8361
tom.droege@tulsaworld.com

What does the future hold for this space?  Proximity to I-44 provides visibility and accessibiity while the location is a natural anchor for south Brookside.  Given a proper "vision," the property could be a real boon for development in the area.  

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:13:59 pm »

And what in the world is Marharishi Ayur-Ved University?  Geesh...this property should be leveled..yesterday.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:52:45 pm »

Yeah it should be demolished, that building is completely falling apart.  But what should go in its place?

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:23:37 pm »

Unless the City can come up with a plan for the entire area between I44 and 41st, Peoria to Riverside, the property will continue to be a negative impression as the gateway to Tulsa.

Once a glitzy landmark? Maybe to Ainsley Perault....Could it be all that asbestos scares any developer from resurrecting the property?

Perhaps it could be bought. Come on 5013c's! Buy it! The Maharaja surely has a price.

Did someone offend these spiritual Asians and now they refuse to talk. Sure appears that way every time there is an article in the newspaper.

Private property rules....for a while longer.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:30:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

Yeah it should be demolished, that building is completely falling apart.  But what should go in its place?

A park....from Riverside to Peoria and from I 44 to 41st. Likelihood? Zilch.
inteller
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:42:57 pm »

asbestos is flame retardant, not flame proof.  torch it.
Goodpasture
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 08:44:45 pm »

I always thought it would be a good location for a midrise apartment complex. perhaps a condo. say 10 stories, 100 units. If Churches was gone a low rise parking garage in the rear could be built. It would have a nice "overlook" of Riverside and Brookside both. Possibly even put in some ground floor retail spaces. It would make a nice high density residential/commercial location. Right off the interstate, easy access to Brookside and Riverside. If I were given a choice between a nice place on south Memorial or a nice place on Brookside, Brookside would be my choice every time.

When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com
AMP
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 08:47:46 pm »

Interesting how many Tulsan's seem to want to level concrete and or historic buildings.  I just watched Fantastic Tulsa Films, and the number of Art Deco and nicely designed buildings that were razed downtown and turned into parking lots and other plain ugly buildings is just not right.

Tulsa Historical Society seems to be a place to look at photos of things that once were.  Thought they were there to preserve and protect existing structures.  

Never understood why buildings East of the Mississippi seem to of with stood the test of time.  But in this area, some want to tear down anything that is a decade or more old.  

Tulse is beginning to resemble the theme of the Movie where "all restaurants are now Taco Bell."  

Camelot Inn lots of memories from that location.  Remember playing rock n roll music in the ballrooms for groups such as the Young Republicans.  

And the wonderful restaurant there that served a giant German Pancake with lemon wedges, yummy.  They also featured an awesome buffet with carved Prime Rib served with horseradish and sour cream sauce.

Always an exciting time at the Camelot Inn, I recall taking the tour when Randy Wheeler's dad I think his name was David Wheeler and his partner opened the Hotel.  We were shown the Suites on the top floor that provided a wonderful view of Tulsa.  Wheeler had a pop machine in their clubhouse at their home which were a nickel in the 70's.

Believe the pay at the gigs at the Camelot we played paid $50, that was ten dollars more than take home for a 40 hour work week at minimum wage then. Ridge Bond booked those gigs for us.  I always stopped in and ordered a German Pancake after we played.  

What happened to the Economic Development division of the Chamber that promoted Tulsa to outside developers wanting to invest here?  Believe Micky Thompson was in charge of that at one time.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 11:39:32 pm »

The current owner, despite commentary to the contrary, is looking to make a buck. The school is one of those "pay us money, come to our seminars, get right with the world in only 12 steps" kinda places. It is not affiliated with any major religions. They have mentioned selling prices before but they were quite large. Bets are that they wanted I-44 to take it out just as much as the neighbors did.

I would like to see it remodeled but I doubt it will happen.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:44:45 am »

I have been told by a very reliable source that the asbetos mitigation problem is what prevents the Camelot from either being rehab'd or demolished. This source also recounted several disturbing blood spots on floors and walls.

The Abundant Life building is in the same boat (asbestos-wise), nothing will happen with these structures until the property they are sitting on becomes more valuable.
inteller
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 08:36:51 am »

actually, watching the abundant life building go up in smoke would be worth paying to see.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:00:13 am »

"...nothing will happen with these structures until the property they are sitting on becomes more valuable"

This is the saddest thing I think I've heard when it comes to Tulsa.  There are probably hundreds of buildings around town that this mantra applies to.  Since property values in Tulsa do nothing but stagnate, there are very few private developers that want to INVEST in building here.  I really can't blame them.  No wonder we need public tax dollars for just about everything we want to do as a city.  I'm getting ill...

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 09:05:38 am »

I say remodel it, maintain the theme. Kinda like the "Medieval Times" restaurants/shows. Buy out the castle of muskogee and move those people to the camelot. If food supplies are low, send armies to pillage brookside.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 09:28:10 am »

Why would anyone spend more money to remove the asbestos in the Camelot than it would cost to build a new hotel?  And then still have to remodel, not to mention the cost to purchase the Camelot in the first place.  Would be far cheaper and easier to build a new hotel in downtown or else where.

I doubt that the property value is going to go up enough in our lifetime to make it worth tearing down.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:37 am »

Best case: the I-44 widening causes the dirt value to go up enough that demolition is feasible to a national company looking for an interstate location.  Continued Brookside renewal + fresh interstate concrete = retailers salivating.  

More likely: It stands till the city tears it down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org