A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:14:50 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will there ever be an expressway going through the city of Bixby in the future?  (Read 12866 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 01:40:46 pm »

The federal government has required interoperability since 2016. It has just never worked. It works regionally now, but not nationwide.

I believe the Oklahoma Pike Pass works in Texas and Kansas in addition to OK.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2022, 01:59:05 pm »

And I will reiterate, don't expect me to pay taxes to make your environment destroying commute easier.

I believe the days when everyone could walk to work are long gone.  The days of unsubsidized public transit are also long gone.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2022, 02:21:43 pm »

As for gas/diesel taxes to pay for roads, Arizona got smart back in the mid 80's and proposed and passed by the voters a half cent sales tax specifically for transportation, highways/arterial streets/public transportation.

This site: https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/  indicates that AZ also has an $0.18/gal tax on gas and the same or $0.26/gal for diesel.  They don't clarify the "or".  Oklahoma is $0.19/gal for gas and $0.16/gal for diesel.

I don't believe a tax specifically for transportation etc will work in OK.  We have a history of passing a tax to fund something specific and then take the money already being spent on that to spend on something else.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 05:17:04 pm »

This site: https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/  indicates that AZ also has an $0.18/gal tax on gas and the same or $0.26/gal for diesel.  They don't clarify the "or".  Oklahoma is $0.19/gal for gas and $0.16/gal for diesel.

I don't believe a tax specifically for transportation etc will work in OK.  We have a history of passing a tax to fund something specific and then take the money already being spent on that to spend on something else.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the "OR" is. I misspoke about the tax, it's Maricopa County not the State. When the tax was initially passed Phoenix had ~80 miles of freeway, US 60 from Apache Junction to Tempe and I-17 from Flagstaff to Sky Harbor Airport. From the linked article, people wanted to raise the fuel taxes instead of a sales tax, and the sales tax was easier to take.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1985/10/05/phoenix-voters-weighing-tax-boost-vs-freeways/20aee027-c0c3-402f-92e0-7d94c7dbb078/

I remember from growing up in Tulsa a lot of great promises only to have the city or the state rob Peter to pay Paul attitude, and I'm sure that if a transportation tax was passed it would get raided to pay for other things.

Arizona House Bill 2292, which passed in the spring 2003 session of the Arizona Legislature, established the Maricopa Association of Governments Transportation Policy Committee which was tasked with developing a Regional Transportation Plan for Maricopa County, and established the process for an election to extend the current half-cent County Transportation Excise Tax. On November 2, 2004, voters in Maricopa County approved Proposition 400 to extend the half-cent sales tax for transportation for an additional 20 years to 2026. The extension began January 1, 2006 and ends on December 31, 2025.

In accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes §42-6105.E, 56.2 percent of the Proposition 400 sales tax collections is distributed to freeways and state highways; 10.5 percent is distributed to arterial street improvements; and 33.3 percent is distributed to the public transportation fund. The Regional Transportation Plan thus has three major components: Freeways/Highways, Arterial Streets, and Transit.

The Regional Transportation Plan Freeway Program includes new freeway corridors to serve growth in the region, and improvements to the existing system of freeways and highways to reduce current and future congestion and improve safety. The work includes new freeway corridors, additional lanes on existing facilities, and new interchanges at arterial cross streets, high occupancy vehicle ramps at system interchanges, noise mitigation, litter and landscape maintenance programs, freeway management systems, and freeway service patrols.

The Regional Transportation Plan Freeway Program is funded by three primary revenue sources: the Proposition 400 half-cent sales tax, ADOT funds dedicated for use in Maricopa County, and federal highway funds.

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-programming/regional-programming

For nearly 40 years, a half-cent voter-approved sales tax has helped pay for roads, freeways and transit needs in Maricopa County as the region grew its population and economy robustly.

The time to re-up that critical commitment has come.

The cities in Maricopa County have unanimously asked that Arizona lawmakers pass House Bill 2598 and Senate Bill 1356 to put the expiring transportation sales tax on the Nov. 8 ballot for renewal.

The tax, first passed by voters in 1985 and reauthorized in 2004, is set to expire in 2025. Without an extension, both the county’s regional transportation plan and the funding will lapse.

Maricopa County cannot afford to fall behind.

These investments made us who we are
In 1980, the county boasted a little more than 1.5 million people. The only freeway serving the area was the Interstate 17 running through central Phoenix and ending near Sky Harbor International Airport.

Four decades later, Maricopa County’s population has nearly tripled to 4.4 million people and is again the fastest-growing in the United States – adding more than 81,000 people to the Valley in 2018 alone.

The economic attractiveness of our region is undeniable. We are blessed with incredible natural beauty, superb weather and a comparatively low cost of living.

The visionary leaders who came before us laid the groundwork for the infrastructure necessary to sustain and accommodate this economic miracle.

In 1985, government and business leaders throughout Maricopa County came together to pass Proposition 300 to fund the county’s first regional transportation plan. Their success launched one of the largest highway construction programs in the United States. Proposition 300 included 231 miles of new freeways including the acquisition of land to begin the construction of Loop 101, Loop 202, Loop 303 and State Route 51.

In 2004, once again, regional governments and business leaders came together to pass Proposition 400, a 20-year extension of the half-cent sales tax to fund:

Construction of Loop 202, the South Mountain Freeway, and Loop 303, the Estrella Freeway.
Additional lanes on I-10, I-17, SR 51, Loop 101 and Loop 202.
Improvements to the Grand Avenue stretch of U.S. 60.
Improvements to 36 intersections.
Construction of more than 225 miles of new or improved roadways.
Contributions toward bus service on the regional supergrid and “express” commuter bus service.
Construction of light rail extensions in Mesa, Tempe and Phoenix.
Regionwide paratransit service for seniors and persons with disabilities.
­Four of five jobs in Maricopa County are within two miles of a freeway or light rail corridor. More than half of the major employers are located within a half mile of these corridors.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2022/03/23/maricopa-county-needs-lawmakers-ok-ask-voters-transportation-sales-tax/9453958002/

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:24:12 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org