A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:06 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma City Tinker AFB Logistics Complex  (Read 451 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: February 26, 2024, 12:05:25 pm »

Oklahoma City largest single-site employer:  Tinker Air Force Base

Can the Air Force keep B-52 bombers in service for 100 years?

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BaeecIBKB0

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 08:53:17 pm »

The fortunate thing for the B-52 is that they were built like a tank. Boeing built one of the strongest air frames and they built so many of them. At the AMARG base at Davis Monthan in Tuscon has all of the B-52's that were built and still survive in one place. Several of them have been broken up over the years to comply with SALT I and SALT II treaties from the nuclear arms reduction era. They also have a supply of complete air frames and have over the last several years actually brought two out of storage and rebuilt them to replace ones that have been lost.  

The other thing that has led to their long life span is that unlike a commercial jet they don't have the number of take off and landing cycles that a passenger jet goes through, and when in flight, the crew area of the plane is the only portion that is pressurized instead of the whole aircraft.

I got to see one of the most famous B-52's back in 2013, Balls 8, one of the B-52's that was used by NASA and the USAF for carrying various experimental aircraft and weapons systems.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/balls-8/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:01:42 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 07:08:22 pm »

I interviewed with Boeing back in the late 70's for job doing avionics upgrade work.  Got to go climb around in their test fuselage they had in a hanger for doing that work.  Beautiful plane!   Small cockpit - I got around fine in it then, but I bet I could not fit through the passageways at all now!

Interesting how small the two bomb bays were that I got to see.  I thought they would be bigger.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 08:16:28 pm »

I interviewed with Boeing back in the late 70's for job doing avionics upgrade work.  Got to go climb around in their test fuselage they had in a hanger for doing that work.  Beautiful plane!   Small cockpit - I got around fine in it then, but I bet I could not fit through the passageways at all now!

Interesting how small the two bomb bays were that I got to see.  I thought they would be bigger.

It is deceptively small. I could almost place my hand flat on the pylon for carrying aircraft and on the side the outlines of the aircraft and such that this one carried are right at eye level.

Another forum I'm on there was a discussion about why didn't the USAF use the GE9X engine as a replacement on the 52, and they had a hard time understanding that the diameter of the 9X is close to the diameter of the 52's fuselage. From the ground to the top of the fuselage, not the top of the vertical stabilizer, is about 20'. The 9X is roughly 17' in diameter when you include the cowling
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:22:13 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 12:53:53 pm »

It is deceptively small. I could almost place my hand flat on the pylon for carrying aircraft and on the side the outlines of the aircraft and such that this one carried are right at eye level.

Another forum I'm on there was a discussion about why didn't the USAF use the GE9X engine as a replacement on the 52, and they had a hard time understanding that the diameter of the 9X is close to the diameter of the 52's fuselage. From the ground to the top of the fuselage, not the top of the vertical stabilizer, is about 20'. The 9X is roughly 17' in diameter when you include the cowling

They look much bigger when flying over you.  We were in the panhandle quite a few years ago and a flight of about 9 came flying over at VERY low altitude.  Guessing 300-500 ft. or so...?   Could very clearly see the rivets.  They were also very loud but SO impressive!

My 3rd favorite plane.  B-17 number one.  

B-1 number 2, since I got to do some work on their systems.  

B-52 number 3.  Could it just be because of "Dr. Strangelove" movie?  No telling...

Have watched some videos about quick response take offs.  They have a system worked out for that!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 09:18:08 am »

Maybe I'm grumpy here but when did Tinker become part of the Tulsa suburbs???

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 12:06:44 pm »

Maybe I'm grumpy here but when did Tinker become part of the Tulsa suburbs???

Growing up I always thought of it the other way, that Tulsa was a suburb of OKC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org