A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:43 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saltgrass Steakhouse coming to Tulsa  (Read 15178 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: February 06, 2018, 09:15:56 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/saltgrass-steak-house-to-open-tulsa-location/article_d0c44290-967b-5426-8db7-d3cc21c92e5e.html 
I drove past this yesterday and wondered what was happening.  It is behind the Kum & Go in front of the Comfort Inn.  I have never eaten at a Saltgrass but am familiar with the Landry company.  I would think it will do will with all the hotels right there. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:15 am »

Saltgrass in Norman is very good.   I can't afford it, but every time a vendor wants to take us to lunch, that is the number one choice!

Edit;
They are kinds like the Pappadeaux of steak houses.  Even though a chain, they seem to be keeping their act together.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:09 am »

Landry's corporate owns dozens of brands, and hundreds of restaurants.   Some of them very nice, some simply "good".  I'm sure they have run the numbers on the location, with the hotels, apartments, etc, nearby.   I probably won't go, but it's not a bad brand for that site and should do well.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:39:17 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/saltgrass-steak-house-to-open-tulsa-location/article_d0c44290-967b-5426-8db7-d3cc21c92e5e.html 
I drove past this yesterday and wondered what was happening.  It is behind the Kum & Go in front of the Comfort Inn.  I have never eaten at a Saltgrass but am familiar with the Landry company.  I would think it will do will with all the hotels right there. 

Because when I think of fine steakhouses, I think of Comfort Inn.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »

Isn't this the same area that was supposed to get a Pappadeaux?  I thought one was originally planned for the area closer to Best Buy/Cost Plus World Market.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:14:37 pm »

Landry's has a few really nice steakhouses in their lineup (McCormick and Schmick's, Morton's, one or two others), but Saltgrass isn't on that tier.  Still,  not a bad fit for that spot.

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:09 pm »

LOL!  I'm thinking it would have been a better fit somewhere else.  I work with someone who said he had the best steak ever at a Saltgrass, but that area on Yale doesn't seem to fit their quality.  Guess it's better to have them than not have them.  We'll see how much longer Outback and Applebee's last after we have Saltgrass as an option.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:22:47 pm »

LOL!  I'm thinking it would have been a better fit somewhere else.  I work with someone who said he had the best steak ever at a Saltgrass, but that area on Yale doesn't seem to fit their quality.  Guess it's better to have them than not have them.  We'll see how much longer Outback and Applebee's last after we have Saltgrass as an option.

Saltgrass is much better than those two, but also more expensive.  There will always be a price point/taste tradeoff, so those two will probably keep on going.  Haven't been to Outback in probably 25 years, so am presuming they are the same...   Applebee's - it has been 3 or 4 years...never was very good.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:21:09 pm »

Saltgrass is much better than those two, but also more expensive.  There will always be a price point/taste tradeoff, so those two will probably keep on going.  Haven't been to Outback in probably 25 years, so am presuming they are the same...   Applebee's - it has been 3 or 4 years...never was very good.

I don't know, I checked the menu out and it's a lot more Texas Roadhouse than Flemmings, Mahogany or Ruth's Chris. It looks like just another mediocre chain located by a highway with cheese fries and over salted beef.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:24:21 pm by swake » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »

I don't know, I checked the menu out and it's a lot more Texas Roadhouse than Flemmings, Mahogany or Ruth's Chris. It looks like just another mediocre chain located by a highway with cheese fries and over salted beef.

It is nowhere near those three, but is a noticeable step up from any of the 'peanut-shells-on-the-floor' places.

And I am not dissing peanuts... I like peanuts!!

Edit;  at least the one I go to...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:03:07 pm »

The "Salt" in Saltgrass gives me pause.  From a branding standpoint, "Switchgrass", "Sawgrass", or even "Tallgrass" (RIP) give a better connotation to me.  Overly salty beef doesn't sound appealing to me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:19 pm »

The "Salt" in Saltgrass gives me pause.  From a branding standpoint, "Switchgrass", "Sawgrass", or even "Tallgrass" (RIP) give a better connotation to me.  Overly salty beef doesn't sound appealing to me.

Guess they had to pick a grass and that was it...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 08:38:27 pm »

Funny, we see more and more people hawking CBD oils, creams, lotions, and other products claimed to have CBD in them around New Mexico.  I hope they go the route of Colorado sooner rather than later to fully legalize it for recreational use.  Then we could have the Hempgrass Steakhouse chain and the signature dessert will be our brownies!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:41 pm »

After less than a second of googling I found this.

noun
any of several grasses, as Distichlis spicata, that grow in salt marshes or meadows or in alkali soil.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/salt-grass

Each winter, the Longhorn were driven to the Texas Gulf Coast to graze on the rich coastal salt grass. And when they headed for market, they followed the legendary Salt Grass Trail, known far and wide for creating the best beef in the Lone Star State. http://www.saltgrass.com/legend.asp

The History of the Salt Grass Trail Ride
A Local Legacy   
You might not think that an 88-year-old woman could handle a 70-mile trail ride, but that's exactly what Atha Marks Dimon did in 1999 during the Salt Grass Trail Ride in Texas.
By going on the ride Atha was following in her father's footsteps many years earlier. In the 19th century, pioneer cattlemen herded their cattle to Houston up from the salt grass pastures on the Gulf Coast of Texas, where their cattle had been grazing and fattening up. Times change, and since 1900, cattlemen have not needed to herd their cattle across the open land; instead they use trains.

In 1952, four old-time cowmen decided to stage a re-enactment and joined a group of people on the first Salt Grass Trail Ride. One of those four cowmen was E.H. Marks. In 1999, Marks's daughter, Atha Marks Dimon (at the age of 88), her daughter Athene, her grandson Boyd Vaughan, and great-grandson Reagan Vaughan, rode the Salt Grass Trail -- 70 miles from Brenham to Houston -- in memory of the original cattlemen.

The people that have gone on the trail ride include bankers, fire fighters, even middle school students. The trail ride has caught on, and now more than 6,000 riders participate. http://www.americaslibrary.gov/es/tx/es_tx_trail_1.html

The first Saltgrass Steak House opened in March 1991 along the Katy Freeway (I-10) in Houston.[3] It sits along the historic trail where cattle herders would drive their livestock south to graze on the salt grasses of the Texas Gulf Coast. Every year, as team of riders travel the trail before the opening of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo they pass by the original restaurant.[4]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltgrass_Steak_House

Now we all know more than we ever wanted to know. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »

After less than a second of googling I found this.

noun
any of several grasses, as Distichlis spicata, that grow in salt marshes or meadows or in alkali soil.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/salt-grass

Each winter, the Longhorn were driven to the Texas Gulf Coast to graze on the rich coastal salt grass. And when they headed for market, they followed the legendary Salt Grass Trail, known far and wide for creating the best beef in the Lone Star State. http://www.saltgrass.com/legend.asp

The History of the Salt Grass Trail Ride
A Local Legacy   
You might not think that an 88-year-old woman could handle a 70-mile trail ride, but that's exactly what Atha Marks Dimon did in 1999 during the Salt Grass Trail Ride in Texas.
By going on the ride Atha was following in her father's footsteps many years earlier. In the 19th century, pioneer cattlemen herded their cattle to Houston up from the salt grass pastures on the Gulf Coast of Texas, where their cattle had been grazing and fattening up. Times change, and since 1900, cattlemen have not needed to herd their cattle across the open land; instead they use trains.

In 1952, four old-time cowmen decided to stage a re-enactment and joined a group of people on the first Salt Grass Trail Ride. One of those four cowmen was E.H. Marks. In 1999, Marks's daughter, Atha Marks Dimon (at the age of 88), her daughter Athene, her grandson Boyd Vaughan, and great-grandson Reagan Vaughan, rode the Salt Grass Trail -- 70 miles from Brenham to Houston -- in memory of the original cattlemen.

The people that have gone on the trail ride include bankers, fire fighters, even middle school students. The trail ride has caught on, and now more than 6,000 riders participate. http://www.americaslibrary.gov/es/tx/es_tx_trail_1.html

The first Saltgrass Steak House opened in March 1991 along the Katy Freeway (I-10) in Houston.[3] It sits along the historic trail where cattle herders would drive their livestock south to graze on the salt grasses of the Texas Gulf Coast. Every year, as team of riders travel the trail before the opening of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo they pass by the original restaurant.[4]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltgrass_Steak_House

Now we all know more than we ever wanted to know. 

Great Googling!  Atha sounds a bit like one of our neighbors out here in Cimarron, Linda Davis of the CS Ranch.  She's still a part of the ranch operations in her late 80's and still an active EMT.

Sorry, typical TNF thread drift.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org