A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:34 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does professional soccer have a future in Tulsa?  (Read 45654 times)
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 11:48:13 am »

I was also thinking that the stadium would include a building fronting a street that includes retail and restaurant space open year around (think how Greenwood businesses were sort of incorporated into the ballpark) and the field could be open to the public when not in use for a formal event.  But yeah, should have a staging area and a commitment to find ways to use it for things other than soccer games to keep it active year around.

Agreed! If it were to be in the parking lot district, you essentially have a clean slate to create something really cool that could inform future development. As an architect, this would be the coolest project to tackle - One of the most difficult things is to create density from basically nothing. It's fragile too because you can't just force new context to exist, it has to listen and speak to the city.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:50 pm »

Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium
Mockup version of Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium, if it were to be used for Oklahoma State High School Football Championships. #American_Football #Field #Football #High_School #Oklahoma #OSSAA #Skydance_Bridge #Stadium #State #Union_Station

Despite the land acquisition setback, Funk Jr.'s stadium timeline remains on-track. The new location for the stadium, when finalized, will not have the originally planned real estate and commercial developments. The PCOM site also had a complicated clearing and cleanup process, which would have taken up to two years before building could begin.

The Energy also recognizes that Taft Stadium is not viable long-term because it does not meet United States Soccer Federation standards. Taft is only 67 yards wide, three yards short of the minimum USSF standard. Funk Jr. confirmed that the club is unable to host U.S. Open Cup games at Taft because the pitch is too narrow.--Excerpts: Oklahoman, July 8, 2017

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:54:23 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2018, 10:55:01 am »

From my office I can see them installing the sinking mound.  My iphone doesn't take good enough pics to make it worthwhile to post.  But it seems to be going quickly.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 08:06:40 am »

Athletic are making an announcement on Thursday, including a different venue this season.  Any speculation or insight?
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:18 pm »

Holy cow, I'm an oracle.  I mentioned the sinking mound for OneOk and then they do it.  In another thread I suggested Veterans Park for the Athletic, and today they announce they'll be playing their games there this season.  I think its a great move!  I'll be buying tickets for sure!
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 10:22:49 am »

https://twitter.com/BradLundokc/status/1008530653737050117

Top five markets for Thursday's WC opener:

1. Tulsa - 3.0
2. Austin - 2.6
3. Birmingham - 2.4
4. San Francisco - 2.4
5. New Orleans - 2.3

5:46 PM - 16 Jun 2018
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:26:33 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
rebound
City Father

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:08 am »

https://twitter.com/BradLundokc/status/1008530653737050117

Top five markets for Thursday's WC opener:

1. Tulsa - 3.0
2. Austin - 2.6
3. Birmingham - 2.4
4. San Francisco - 2.4
5. New Orleans - 2.3

5:46 PM - 16 Jun 2018

Where is the link to the raw data on this?   I need to understand the numbers better.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 11:07:44 am »

Below is not a detailed statement of methodology per se, but I believe the numbers will always skew a bit in favor of eastern standard time based on morning times these matches are played.
Also, Tulsa may have a skewed advantage in older fans who watch on network tv versus streaming.
Still.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/tv-ratings-down-for-world-cup-opener/2018/06/15/0c4766a6-70db-11e8-b4d8-eaf78d4c544c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8b9abd07e6fd
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:33:19 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2018, 11:16:45 am »

I have paid monthly dues for now eight plus years for two kids to play soccer. They have played for TSC, Blitz, Nationals, and WSA. The overwhelming majority of kids who play competitive soccer live in south Tulsa, Jenks, Bixby, or Broken Arrow.

Why do we only consider downtown locations for a new stadium?

There are struggling shopping centers on two corners of 71st and Memorial. The area is packed with everything needed for a stadium to work. Hotels, transit, parking, and restaurants to get money out of fans before and after games.

Tell me why this isn't a better choice for a soccer stadium than downtown.

Baseball belongs downtown while soccer belongs in the burbs?
Sure, why not.  Southeast Tulsa sounds like a great place to take a lousy, uncompetitive USL franchise.
And while we're at it, take the Roughnecks out of your name, please.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:18:26 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2018, 11:29:01 am »

Baseball belongs downtown while soccer belongs in the burbs?
Sure, why not.  Southeast Tulsa sounds like a great place to take a lousy, uncompetitive USL franchise.
And while we're at it, take the Roughnecks out of your name, please.

Really?  Not sure how you got that out of what he said (long ago), but it does seem like soccer would draw just as well out east as it would downtown.  Or maybe even closer in at the fairgrounds.  Downtown is fine, but are you sure it would hurt it not to be there??

As for starting times - affecting viewership, how much of a hit did it take by not having the US team in the game?   Almost like being a Green Bay fan when the Eagles and Patriots are playing in the Superbowl...

Edit; I would love to have one of those Nielsen meters - but I am afraid my watching patterns would break their models...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:56 am »

Really?  Not sure how you got that out of what he said (long ago), but it does seem like soccer would draw just as well out east as it would downtown.  Or maybe even closer in at the fairgrounds.  Downtown is fine, but are you sure it would hurt it not to be there??

As for starting times - affecting viewership, how much of a hit did it take by not having the US team in the game?   Almost like being a Green Bay fan when the Eagles and Patriots are playing in the Superbowl...

Edit; I would love to have one of those Nielsen meters - but I am afraid my watching patterns would break their models...!

When you're losing home matches to the tune of 0-5, 1-5 and 0-3, it literally doesn't really matter where you play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=169&v=vAFsvu9dJ5s

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2018, 12:05:49 pm »

When you're losing home matches to the tune of 0-5, 1-5 and 0-3, it literally doesn't really matter where you play.

Still not over the new Roughnecks are we?   Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2018, 12:12:33 pm »

Phoenix is pretty much that all over...dry and dusty.

Tulsa doesn't seem to be doing too great...is that their scores?   So, Fairgrounds it is!!   Or Alsuma!

Edit;  don't take it too hard - if the market were here to support them better than it does now, stadiums would happen.   They always do...  It is what it is for now, and maybe will get better, but maybe not.  It's all about the foosball here...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:14:51 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2018, 04:01:39 pm »

Via OKCTalk.com
Published on 07-07-2018 06:33 AM

Soccer stadium planned for far North OKC (as a part of the Chisholm Creek development)

Plans have been submitted that show the intention to build a soccer stadium and related facilities as a part of the Chisholm Creek development on the south side of Memorial Road between Pennsylvania and Western.

Although the application was submitted by an engineering company on behalf of an unknown client, the obvious implication is that this could be the future home for Oklahoma City's professional soccer team, The Energy.

Plans show stands on all four sides of the stadium. Given the size and extent of the grandstand, it appears capacity would be between 5,000 and 10,000.

Also indicated are a small office building, controlled entry gates at each corner of the property, drink stands, restroom buildings, a video scoreboard, press box, ticket booth, VIP parking, and a removable stage at the south end of the field. The configuration appears to allow for future expansion of the east and west granstands.

The planning application describes a “multisport and entertainment complex in order to accommodate team sports such as soccer, rugby, track and field and concert events”. The site plan designates two different options for a food truck park.

The property is 13.11 acres and very near an 80-acre park being consctructed by the city to the south.

The Oklahoma City Energy are owned by Prodigal LLC which is headed by Bob Funk Jr.

The team was launched in 2014 and played its first season in Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuiness High School. In 2015, the team moved to a newly renovated Taft Stadium which is owned by the Oklahoma City Public Schools.

There has been much talk among fans that the current season would be the last at Taft, as the field is unusually narrow for a soccer facility and the Energy is the last team in their league to be playing at a high school stadium.

The United Soccer League, of which The Energy is a member, has a stated goal of having each of its clubs playing at soccer-specific stadium by 2020.

The Energy have been averaging about 4,000 spectators per game this season, with their largest crowd being 6,757.

Looking for a long-term home, Funk had sought to purchase the 37-acre former Producers Coop property just south of Bricktown in 2016. The plan, which ultimately fell through, was to use 10 acres for a new soccer stadium and partner with investors to develop a mix of hotels, retail, housing and other uses on the balance of the property.

Funk has expressed the desire for the Energy to ultimately join Major League Soccer (MLS) within 6 to 9 years. Previously a plan had been discussed to open a new stadium with near 10,000 seats and the capability to add 10,000 more as part of an MLS bid.

If the Energy were to occupy this Chisholm Creek stadium, it would likely be a temporary home. Funk had previously expressed the desire to locate somewhere near the Oklahoma River. Engaging the large hispanic population on the near southside has been seen as an important long-term goal.

Several professional soccer franchises have utilized 'pop-up' stadiums as a way of creating a dedicated soccer facility for their teams in a quick and efficient manner while continuing to work on longer term plans.

Chisholm Creek is a 190-acre mixed-use development featuring TopGolf, Cabela's, and many other retails and restaurants and bars. Recently, Uncle Julio's recently opened to long lines and several other restaurants are under construction including Birra Birra, Hopdoddy, Firebirds and Chalk.

Negotiations are close to being finalized for Oklahoma's first Alamo Drafthouse and construction will start soon on Costco just to the east of Chisholm Creek on the southeast corner of Memorial and Western.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:27:12 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2018, 08:38:29 pm »

Stay tuned; you will be hearing more from Oklahoma's two USL's entries (Tulsa Roughnecks FC & Oklahoma City Energy FC) on soccer specific stadiums.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org