A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:05 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPOP Museum new home  (Read 58357 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 08:58:53 pm »

Perhaps I just read too many comments in the TW, but it seems that whenever something "different" gets built ( think BOK center), it's the negative responses that stick. I believe the folks that know that it's a good thing don't feel the need to defend it. I'm sure this building will be fully embraced by the city eventually, I just have to look past the negative responses. It's part of the problem of being on the outside, down here in Dallas, looking in!
Hey D-TT, this forum is filled with so many Negative Nancies.  The stuff they posted about the failure of the BOK is legend.  The stuff they posted about the failure of the Drillers Stadium was over the top.  Let a new restaurant open and some of them are so sure they know better than the persons who spent the money to open it.  And it seems no one does it exactly like they would do it. It is amazing that Tulsa is still a fully functioning entity because it seems to keep on keeping on in spite of their sage advice. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Herb Albert
Citizen

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:31 am »

I love to read the comments! I get some pretty good laughs from them sometimes. My favorite comment from yesterday was - "Oh great, looks like we are loosing yet ANOTHER parking lot". Hahahaha! That's kind of the idea! Do you think they would build a building without taking parking into consideration? So funny. It's going to be a long while until Tulsa can get over the fact that it is actually ok to walk a block or two or three to get where you are going. Maybe you'll see something you never would have noticed along the way.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 07:34:03 am »

I was thinking it needed to be more radical, haters be danged.  Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:43 am »

Hey D-TT, this forum is filled with so many Negative Nancies.  The stuff they posted about the failure of the BOK is legend.  The stuff they posted about the failure of the Drillers Stadium was over the top.  Let a new restaurant open and some of them are so sure they know better than the persons who spent the money to open it.  And it seems no one does it exactly like they would do it. It is amazing that Tulsa is still a fully functioning entity because it seems to keep on keeping on in spite of their sage advice. 

The BOK center design is pretty underwhelming and a bit of a copy of so many "trendy" arenas built around the US around that era. It was tax-payer funded so people had the right to hate the design. I'm still unimpressed by the look of it. It's great it is successful, but it and the Cimarex building are bold eye sores in an already ugly part of downtown.

Almost all of the restaurant reviews on here are positive. Even HopBunz and Maxxwell's had good ratings on here. Torero's is the worst rating I think I've seen and it didn't last long.

I don't see many hating on this OKPOP museum, especially if it looks like the rendering when completed. It is a great attractive design and looks like  a nice fit right there.

This forum is all about criticism when design doesn't meet expectations of the taxpayers, who are often footing the bill (like in this case or BOK Center!), or when it doesn't meet acceptable minimum design standards for what we want Tulsa to be (What Tulsa Now was founded on). I honestly don't see too many "Negative Nancies" on here except for the guy who is always (understandably) griping about the lighting. I see far more "attaboys" for great design like this place or Santa Fe Square renderings or NOLA's. There's a lot of great things to celebrate, but if we can't get on here to criticize and discuss, why have this board? Some of us don't want Tulsa to end up with too many Cimarex towers, generic-looking CVS's on Cherry Street or riverfront shopping centers.

Comments on News articles tend to be far more negative and unproductive/inaccurate like the Newson6 link above where they gripe about parking. I'll take constructive criticism of tulsanow.org over that any day.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:34 am »

Perhaps I just read too many comments in the TW, but it seems that whenever something "different" gets built ( think BOK center), it's the negative responses that stick. I believe the folks that know that it's a good thing don't feel the need to defend it. I'm sure this building will be fully embraced by the city eventually, I just have to look past the negative responses. It's part of the problem of being on the outside, down here in Dallas, looking in!

It is better to not read the news article comments. Fortunately, Tulsa World removed those and put them separate on fb. I don't know how some of those people can constantly complain about most everything, but they don't represent most people.

I don't think anyone will hate on this design. It's kind of a game-changing design, far better than the original rendering, and it will take an ugly edge of downtown and turns it into something you'd expect to be in downtown Seattle or LA. The pergola on the roof makes it look like there might be some sort of restaurant or bar/venue up there which is a really nice idea.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:10 am »

It is better to not read the news article comments. Fortunately, Tulsa World removed those and put them separate on fb. I don't know how some of those people can constantly complain about most everything, but they don't represent most people.

I don't think anyone will hate on this design. It's kind of a game-changing design, far better than the original rendering, and it will take an ugly edge of downtown and turns it into something you'd expect to be in downtown Seattle or LA. The pergola on the roof makes it look like there might be some sort of restaurant or bar/venue up there which is a really nice idea.

You are right on about the BOK center - it is bu$$ ugly, but has been very successful, so that brings it's own funky 'beauty' to it.  I mean, really, who wouldn't want to have a crashed spaceship in their backyard??  I want one!!  Anyone who says no is lying!!

OKPop is gonna bring a nice touch to the area.  I absolutely hate that so many buildings are using so much glass instead of true design elements, but that is the period of time we are in right now in architecture schools, and I think they did a pretty good job given the limits/constraints of melty sand!

Glass is like the commercial building equivalent of large garage door in front of a house as architectural element.  They both suck.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 09:46:19 am »

You are right on about the BOK center - it is bu$$ ugly, but has been very successful, so that brings it's own funky 'beauty' to it.  I mean, really, who wouldn't want to have a crashed spaceship in their backyard??  I want one!!  Anyone who says no is lying!!

OKPop is gonna bring a nice touch to the area.  I absolutely hate that so many buildings are using so much glass instead of true design elements, but that is the period of time we are in right now in architecture schools, and I think they did a pretty good job given the limits/constraints of melty sand!

Glass is like the commercial building equivalent of large garage door in front of a house as architectural element.  They both suck.

I'm a fan of the BOK, I think because just seeing SOMETHING being built downtown, while on the bus to Booker T, was the coolest thing for me. It actually had some sort of an impact on me to want to become an architect! Not because of the design, but more for the impact it would have on, what was at the time, a pretty barren part of downtown, and at least started a conversation there.
Unfortunately the stuff being built adjacent have been a whiff design wise, but hey, it's SOMETHING. We could definitely do better, and I think fortunately folks have taken note and have pushed for more thoughtful design, though understandably it does come down to money so we have constraints. I actually think someone needs to come in and re-skin that exterior of cimarex.

I like the comment on glass here because you are right, EVERYONE in architecture school felt the need to make everything glass! I do appreciate transparency, but staying true to materials can be just as successful, as well as having a good mix of them. Thankfully this OKPOP museum looks to be doing just that!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 11:24:32 am »

I'm a fan of the BOK, I think because just seeing SOMETHING being built downtown, while on the bus to Booker T, was the coolest thing for me. It actually had some sort of an impact on me to want to become an architect! Not because of the design, but more for the impact it would have on, what was at the time, a pretty barren part of downtown, and at least started a conversation there.
Unfortunately the stuff being built adjacent have been a whiff design wise, but hey, it's SOMETHING. We could definitely do better, and I think fortunately folks have taken note and have pushed for more thoughtful design, though understandably it does come down to money so we have constraints. I actually think someone needs to come in and re-skin that exterior of cimarex.

I like the comment on glass here because you are right, EVERYONE in architecture school felt the need to make everything glass! I do appreciate transparency, but staying true to materials can be just as successful, as well as having a good mix of them. Thankfully this OKPOP museum looks to be doing just that!

You are an architect?   But in Texas??   Oh, wait... Baja Oklahoma!   There...I got it right....

I felt the BOK center should not have been built until we were willing to keep up maintenance on the original Civic Center - it languished for decades, then we are gonna spend a b$ttload of money on something else...  Well, now we have both - finally did do some remodeling to Civic Center.  And the Crashship kinda grows on ya after a while...like Stachybotrys or a small moss on the north side of an oak tree.  Anyway, I still think it looks like a crashed spaceship, but it is developing its own 'niche' in the downtown.  And while it can never be said to be 'attractive', it has established its place and looks good there - it 'fits'.   It is an attraction of it's own, bringing a touch of modern to the whole Route 66 mystique - bridging the old to the new...  Route 66 is having a hey-day now and it needs new to complement the old.  And a little quirky is a good thing.   Especially since so much of the old is gone...

OKPop does have more real materials than the full glass carp we see so often.  They tried, but just couldn't quite completely overcome their training - but definitely a very good step in the right direction!!  And there may be hope someday for a LEED building to have greater than R-4 !!   Fingers crossed!!  Won't go so far as to say a building that actually works, since ASHRAE and LEED have made no visible move toward fixing the whole outside air coming inside thing...

Cimarex - is that the two tone brick thing with the Ross Group sign on front on Google Earth??   If so, yeah, that could use some help - the glass bricks above the door are it's only salvation that keeps it from being something that should be torn down....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:26:54 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:37 am »

This forum is all about criticism when design doesn't meet expectations of the taxpayers, who are often footing the bill (like in this case or BOK Center!), or when it doesn't meet acceptable minimum design standards for what we want Tulsa to be (What Tulsa Now was founded on). I honestly don't see too many "Negative Nancies" on here except for the guy who is always (understandably) griping about the lighting. I see far more "attaboys" for great design like this place or Santa Fe Square renderings or NOLA's. There's a lot of great things to celebrate, but if we can't get on here to criticize and discuss, why have this board? Some of us don't want Tulsa to end up with too many Cimarex towers, generic-looking CVS's on Cherry Street or riverfront shopping centers.

Ahem (cough, cough) constructive criticism.  To their credit, the city has made a lot of progress in the last few years; It just took a while to see that better lighting choices were not necessarily coming from the people selling the electricity.
Also, im very cool with the revival of neon.  No one has really gone overboard with it so thats very encouraging.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 12:08:00 pm »

Is it just the perspective, or is this building sticking out further into the right of way?

Not a complaint so much as an observation.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »

I mean, what else are we going to build the tornado museum next to. Or whatever it was going to be called.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 12:12:38 pm »

You are an architect?   But in Texas??   Oh, wait... Baja Oklahoma!   There...I got it right....

Yep! Originally from Dallas, grew up in Tulsa, went to the University of Arkansas for the architecture program, then SOMEHOW got pulled out to San Francisco for work. Realized I was not a good Californian and transferred to our Dallas office (closest to home), so pretty much come full circle. I've been following Tulsanow since a freshman in highschool in all the cities I've lived in to keep up with the development happening there. I am unapologetically proud Tulsan and love seeing how far it really has come. We are actually trying to tap into the Oklahoma market (although I am trying to contain my bias to gun for the Tulsa metro). I come up about twice a month and it just amazes me, how much has actually happened development wise. This museum is just going to add fuel to the fire and keep the train rollin'!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 01:06:42 pm »

I'm a fan of the OK POP design, it's even cooler knowing that it will have Bob Will's bus embedded in the façade.
Also I have always loved the BOK center's design. I think Peli did a good job with it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:17 pm »

Yep! Originally from Dallas, grew up in Tulsa, went to the University of Arkansas for the architecture program, then SOMEHOW got pulled out to San Francisco for work. Realized I was not a good Californian and transferred to our Dallas office (closest to home), so pretty much come full circle. I've been following Tulsanow since a freshman in highschool in all the cities I've lived in to keep up with the development happening there. I am unapologetically proud Tulsan and love seeing how far it really has come. We are actually trying to tap into the Oklahoma market (although I am trying to contain my bias to gun for the Tulsa metro). I come up about twice a month and it just amazes me, how much has actually happened development wise. This museum is just going to add fuel to the fire and keep the train rollin'!

The Brady Arts District has definitely changed the most, with plenty still to come.  It always had some good bones but ONEOK Field and then Guthrie Green really led the way in transforming the area.  Blue Dome is still plagued by parking lot-itis but has some projects on the boards that will change that in the next 1-3 years.  Once those areas are built out or close to it I'm sure the attention will shift to the "Arena District" where the city is actively planning out its next steps for development and south downtown which is pretty much a blank slate but surrounded by some really cool buildings.  Just south of downtown Riverview IMO is the next great urban neighborhood in Tulsa. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:11:11 pm by SXSW » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 01:50:07 pm »

I'm a fan of the OK POP design, it's even cooler knowing that it will have Bob Will's bus embedded in the façade.
Also I have always loved the BOK center's design. I think Peli did a good job with it.

I really like what they did with 36 Degree North.  just a shame they didn't leave that elevator functional !!   That would have been the coolest thing ever...

I would like to get an office in there...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org