A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:33:40 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why some major retailers pick Tulsa over Oklahoma City  (Read 16394 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:55 pm »

Just ran across this while looking for something else.

I bet this bit really pissed the OKC folks off:

Tulsa also has more of a big-city feel than Oklahoma City, Webb said.

“It seems more like the Dallas or Austin areas of Texas — more cosmopolitan, less rural,” he said.

Link
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:09:51 pm by Ibanez » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »

Just ran across this while looking for something else.

I bet this bit really pissed the OKC folks off:

Tulsa also has more of a big-city feel than Oklahoma City, Webb said.

“It seems more like the Dallas or Austin areas of Texas — more cosmopolitan, less rural,” he said.

Link

Reading some of the comments is hilarious.  They seem to think that because they have an NBA basketball team, it automatically makes them 'more cosmopolitan'.

They wouldn't have an NBA team without Hurricane Katrina.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:30:01 am »

Heh....Here's a gem.....

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2015/#/canal-bricktown-oklahoma-city_85215_600x450.jpg

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:33:48 am »

Their downtown is nicer (for now at least) and they have more people.  Their sprawl is worse than ours, but their suburbanites seem to like their OKC core better than Tulsa suburbanites who complain constantly about parking, or crime, or whatever other nonesense they can come up with for why they hate our urban core.  Having the Thunder downtown and the whole city's support of them kind of seems to bring them together.  We don't have that unfortunately.  I'd say OKC has a closer resemblance to Dallas, and Tulsa has a closer resemblance to Austin.  Both are pretty loose comparisons though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:35:46 am by DowntownDan » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:10:14 pm »

Well, looking at that article then saw this article.... OKC getting H&M. http://newsok.com/article/5440355?slideout=1  Would much much rather have had an H&M here in Tulsa than an Urban Outfitters.  Sucks they got one of those first. Sad that it is in a mall, just doesn't seem right.   Course would still rather go to London to shop at the ones there.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:12:01 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »

Well, looking at that article then saw this article.... OKC getting H&M. http://newsok.com/article/5440355?slideout=1  Would much much rather have had an H&M here in Tulsa than an Urban Outfitters.  Sucks they got one of those first. Sad that it is in a mall, just doesn't seem right.   Course would still rather go to London to shop at the ones there.  Grin

We are getting an H&M.....

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:17 pm »

We are getting an H&M.....

Where.....?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »

H&M is a discount retailer specializing in cheaply made euro fashion knock offs. My daughter loves the place, but I fail to see anything special about it. A mall is exactly where it should be located, it would be downright depressing if that was to go into Utica.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »

H&M is a discount retailer specializing in cheaply made euro fashion knock offs. My daughter loves the place, but I fail to see anything special about it. A mall is exactly where it should be located, it would be downright depressing if that was to go into Utica.

Why on earth get a cheap T-shirt or sweats from Wallyworld and look like a bum when you can get cheap everyday clothes that look stylish? Thats the point.  Look nice everyday for almost nothing.  Spend the good money for the quality clothes for when it matters.  Perhaps thats the difference between what I see when I go to bigger cities, or to Europe, and are far more likely to see everyday people, looking a whole lot nicer than the average person walking around here.  

And hey, I always get compliments on the clothes I get there. "Nice Jacket! Where did you get it?" Suit type jackets with a modern look and tailored cut for us slim people versus the usual box type you find at the mall, and for only 40-50 bucks. Get a season or two out of them and your doing great.  What I mostly like about them is their clothes fit me.  I don't care if something is expensive or cheap, if it has a nice look and fits my tall skinny butt I am all about it lol. We went to the mall last week, went into numerous stores.  Spent hours looking and looking and looking. Didn't find one single pair of 29W-34L jeans, pants, etc. Nada. Sucks.  And I don't starve myself into a grumpily little turd to have a slender waist and then look like I am wearing a freaking mumu!  Tongue I want Jackets and shirts that fit.  H&M fits, and if I get paint on something, which is inevitable. No big deal. Didn't cost anything anyway.  

Again, why on earth get a cheap T-shirt, sweats or jeans from Wallyworld and look like a bum when you can get cheap stylish clothes for everyday that look great instead?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:32:10 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:39 am »

Why on earth get a cheap T-shirt or sweats from Wallyworld and look like a bum when you can get cheap everyday clothes that look stylish? Thats the point.  Look nice everyday for almost nothing.  Spend the good money for the quality clothes for when it matters.  Perhaps thats the difference between what I see when I go to bigger cities, or to Europe, and are far more likely to see everyday people, looking a whole lot nicer than the average person walking around here.

One of the things I like about Oklahoma is being able to wear jeans and a T-shirt without being arrested by the style police.  I don't wear ripped up trashed out stuff although that seems to be the style for some. FWIW, I buy my T-shirts a JC Penney's when they are on sale and get my 569 Levi's where I can when they are on sale if they have some reasonably decent colors. I don't know why they don't make the 569s in plain old indigo blue.  In cooler weather I add a long sleeve heavy weave cotton shirt.

Again, why on earth get a cheap T-shirt, sweats or jeans from Wallyworld and look like a bum when you can get cheap stylish clothes for everyday that look great instead?

I don't care to wear the "stylish" look. It's not me.  I'm happy in jeans and a T-shirt.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:16:45 am »

One of the things I like about Oklahoma is being able to wear jeans and a T-shirt without being arrested by the style police.  I don't wear ripped up trashed out stuff although that seems to be the style for some. FWIW, I buy my T-shirts a JC Penney's when they are on sale and get my 569 Levi's where I can when they are on sale if they have some reasonably decent colors. I don't know why they don't make the 569s in plain old indigo blue.  In cooler weather I add a long sleeve heavy weave cotton shirt.

I don't care to wear the "stylish" look. It's not me.  I'm happy in jeans and a T-shirt.

You're under arrest, you have the right to remain silent, anything you wear can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:59:08 pm by TheArtist » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:34:33 am »

Your under arrest, you have the right to remain silent, anything you wear can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion...

Catch me if you can.   Grin

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:39 am »

And hey, I always get compliments on the clothes I get there. "Nice Jacket! Where did you get it?" Suit type jackets with a modern look and tailored cut for us slim people versus the usual box type you find at the mall, and for only 40-50 bucks. Get a season or two out of them and your doing great.  What I mostly like about them is their clothes fit me.  I don't care if something is expensive or cheap, if it has a nice look and fits my tall skinny butt I am all about it lol. We went to the mall last week, went into numerous stores.  Spent hours looking and looking and looking. Didn't find one single pair of 29W-34L jeans, pants, etc. Nada. Sucks.  And I don't starve myself into a grumpily little turd to have a slender waist and then look like I am wearing a freaking mumu!  Tongue I want Jackets and shirts that fit.  H&M fits, and if I get paint on something, which is inevitable. No big deal. Didn't cost anything anyway.  

That's fine and I am glad you find it valuable for you, but it's still just a discount store.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 06:53:31 am »

I've always thought that Tulsa "feels" more like a Midwestern city like KC while OKC is decidedly a southwestern city.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:08 am »

I've always thought that Tulsa "feels" more like a Midwestern city like KC while OKC is decidedly a southwestern city.

Tulsa has always seemed like Omaha or a smaller and less run down Kansas City while OKC is a much smaller and more run down Dallas.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org