A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:55 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Shock  (Read 16583 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: June 30, 2015, 07:14:20 am »

I will admit. Winning makes you pay attention. I have not been to a Shock game but they are starting to peak my interest.
I had high hopes when they brought in Coach Richardson and after his dismal addition to the team. My hopes of ever seeing this team do anything worthwhile sunk even lower.
But this new Coach and lineup seems to be gelling into quite a formidable team. I'm sure they will start to see a boost in attendance and finally start getting some National attention and Television coverage.
I also was unaware that this team won three WNBA Championships at Detroit with Coach Bill"Thug"Laimbeer. He was just here with his team the New York Liberty. And they lost.
So kudos to the true Shock fans for sticking through the tough times to finally get to the fun and winning times.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:17:21 am by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:56 am »

Tulsa's community support for the WNBA Shock has been positive:

2010:  Tulsa Shock: Games 17  Total - 81,811 Average  4,812
2011:  Tulsa Shock: Games 17  Total - 82,069 Average  4,828
2012:  Tulsa Shock: Games 17  Total - 88,453 Average  5,203
2013:  Tulsa Shock: Games 17  Total - 93,055 Average  5,474
2014:  Tulsa Shock: Games 17  Total - 94,626 Average  5,566 

Sources:   http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/08/19/Research-and-Ratings/WNBA-gate.aspx

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?page_id=5915

. . . . . Note:  2015 figures are in process.

The Tulsa Shock has held their own despite an on court record that hasn't been the best in previous years.  Phoenix has had a spike in attendance with the acquisition of Britney Griner.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:16 am »

When the Shock relocated to Tulsa from Detroit, most of the players, who were free agents, declined to relocate.  Then we hired Richardson, who knew nothing about the women's game or its players, or how to coach women, etc, etc.  Then, despite several losing seasons and coming in last in the league, Tulsa never got a number one draft pick. (It's hard to rebuild when you're starting from scratch and can't get a break.)

We started making incremental improvements under Kloppenberg, who does know the women's game and it's players, but never quite got all the pieces together.  Finally, we got Fred Williams, who's an amazing coach, and some brilliant draft picks (Diggins, Sims, et al) and acquisitions (veterans Paris, Pierson and Christmas).  This year, the Shock were tearing up the competition, and playing tenacious, fun, fast-paced basketball.

However, the unlucky streak continues as we've now lost both starting guards, Odyssey Sims (hopefully, she'll come back soon) and Skylar Diggins (out for the season), to knee injuries.  We'd already lost Glory Johnson (previously a starting forward) who's sitting out this year due to pregnancy.  Another veteran, Tiffany Jackson Jones is benched due to injuries.  Basically, we've played the last few games with 9 players, most of them with only one or two years experience in the league.

Despite all this, we're still playing decent ball.  The veterans are showing their leadership, and the younger players are stepping up.  If Odyssey Sims can get healthy, this team is still a monster.

Fingers crossed.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 03:22:37 pm »

And just when things are turning around.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/shock/from-the-blogs-season-ticket-holders-launch-campaign-to-save/article_0d3e93bf-9d8e-5522-899f-100dd47caf9f.html

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »

Unfortunately, they averaged higher attendance in Detroit. Now, they were winning big in Detroit until they moved. But still, when you move a team and find a net 3k attendance drop... It is bad.

Hope the rumors aren't true. But not looking good. More bad news - it sets the perception of Tulsa support for a pro team back...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:40:38 pm »

So if they leave, are you going to miss the lesbian bars, flannel,  Doc Martins and horse shows downtown? Doesn't seem like there was much support for the WNBA 6 years ago.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13894.0
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:09:45 am »

So, let me understand... this team is finally WINNING and the OKC-based majority owners are looking at throwing in the towel?  Now?

From 2011...
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/wnba/shock/story/2011-09-07/Tulsa-owners-committed-Shock-not-folding-after-dismal-year/50304836/1
"This is the only major league franchise in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and when we start winning the fans are going to break down this door," said minority owner Stuart Price, who says the franchise started out with a five-year plan.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:11:32 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
davideinstein
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:56:42 pm »

Time to put more effort into getting an MLS team.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:28:00 pm »

Kind of a dick move but I get it. Dallas is a huge market and has the potential to be a big money maker for the owners. It takes money to get the best players and I'm sure the draw of living in Dallas/Fort Worth will be a easier sell than Tulsa for the players.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/shock/tulsa-shock-majority-owner-bill-cameron-announces-plans-to-move/article_3f774a7d-356b-540b-8ed5-a27315a07318.html

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:31:08 pm »

Nope. Not possible. The ownership group of both the Shock and the Thunder are committed to including Tulsa blah blah blah...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 08:51:14 pm »

I love Stuart Price calling his former BFF, Cameron, a liar.  The minority ownership group has now sued Cameron for basically being a d-bag.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:01:51 am »

And John Klein summed it up better than anyone. Except maybe Joe Friday. "Just the facts Ma'am"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnklein/john-klein-shock-failures-were-about-the-team-not-tulsa/article_05b21cd0-5f96-59f8-8204-97f3f4b4641d.html

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:39 am »

So, let me understand... this team is finally WINNING and the OKC-based majority owners are looking at throwing in the towel?  Now?

Tulsa was just their stepping stone, and now that they spelled that out, its not likely Tulsans will maintain the same loyalty.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »

Any other takers to fill their spots at the BOK center?

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »

I guess I can now skip attending my first Shock game.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org