A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:33:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WNBA for Tulsa?  (Read 49172 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: July 17, 2009, 10:13:30 am »

Found someone who posted this on another forum I frequent:

Dear Premium Seat Holder,

CONFIDENTIAL:

We have some exciting news for the City of Tulsa and want you to be among the first to know that city officials and a group of private investors are working to bring a WNBA team to Tulsa. We would like to extend an exclusive invitation to you as a BOK Center premium seats ticket holder to join us along with other community leaders for a reception at the arena for this exciting announcement on Wednesday, July 22. This will be your opportunity to personally meet WNBA President, Donna Orender, who will be attending this exclusive event. Currently, a group of investors is making strides in securing the necessary capital to bring a franchise to Tulsa and is in negotiations with the BOK Center to secure a lease agreement. The WNBA would bring 17 women’s professional basketball games to Tulsa and put our city on a national stage with New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and other major cities.

Bringing the WNBA to Tulsa is a civic investment that will add to the quality of life and benefit the growth and revitalization of downtown. It will provide positive encouragement and influence to young women, men and aspiring athletes.

We need your support in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our city. Please join us on July 22 as we welcome President Orender and learn more about what the WNBA means for Tulsa. Your invitation is attached with more information on how to RSVP.

We look forward to having you join us.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:31:31 am »

Leela: Femputer, be reasonable. Sure men are annoying and they wreck up whatever planet they're in charge of, but most of these men are sorta my friends. They don't deserve to die.
Femputer: Hmm. Perhaps men are not as evil as Femputer thinks.
Thog: But they make fun women's basketball.
Femputer: What? Did you explain how the women's good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk?
Ornik: Yes. They still laugh.
Femputer: The men must die.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:33:58 am »

Having a sister who plays basketball, I know that they can be every bit as exciting as men's games.

---Robert
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:58:14 am »

We already have the requisite gay bars downtown to support the fans.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:56 pm »

Most of the horse shows are at the fairgrounds...

Power is nothing till you use it.
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080722_226_B1_hWOMEN242874

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:53 pm »

We already have the requisite gay bars downtown to support the fans.

?

I would rather watch mens basketball or soccer.  Matter of fact I would rather the city and any possible corporate sponsors put their time and effort nurturing MLS in Tulsa. I am willing to bet far more people would be willing to watch that than Womens Basketball.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:38:06 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:37:53 pm »

?

I believe he's referring to the rampant lesbianism this will bring to our fair city.

I can't be positive.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

I believe he's referring to the rampant lesbianism this will bring to our fair city.

I can't be positive.

The lesbian bars aren't downtown.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:40:54 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »

The lesbian bars aren't downtown.

Not supporting his argument, just interpreting.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »

Townsend, do you think they would allow flannel shirts and Doc Martens for uniforms in the WNBA?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
forevertulsa89
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 06:31:03 pm »

Sorry couldn't help myself.  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSmEA2FrZs
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 09:39:55 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGI7R0u3TQ

USRufnex
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:04:00 pm »

?

I would rather watch mens basketball or soccer.  Matter of fact I would rather the city and any possible corporate sponsors put their time and effort nurturing MLS in Tulsa. I am willing to bet far more people would be willing to watch that than Womens Basketball.

Evidently, this effort isn't originating from Tulsa corporate sponsors.....

WNBA to Tulsa? Money matters
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20090721_413_0_AWNBAf333251

Two Oklahoma City businessmen -- Bill Cameron and David Box -- are leading the investment group that will try to bring a team to Tulsa. They are expected to meet the media Wednesday to discuss their efforts and the funds needed to make it happen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:11:08 pm by USRufnex » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 08:44:45 am »

Several thoughts:

1) Tulsa investors?

If Oklahoma City businessmen want to invest in Tulsa, have at it.  I am a little disappointed that the lead group in this is from OKC, but investors are investors.  Just another sign that Tulsa plays follow the leader in most respects to OKC now I'm afraid.

A press conference today will announce who the Tulsa businessmen are.  Look for Mitchell Garret to be among them, just a guess.  But he had a stake in the 66ers and purportedly enjoyed being a pro-sports owner and the elbow rubbing it afforded him.

2) Survival of the League:

I have little to no interest in the WNBA, a view shared by many other people apparently, but if private money thinks it will succeed and tax payer money is not involved - that's not really my concern (I'm not that interested in the NBA either so . . .).  However, it should be pointed out that teams in Charlotte, Cleveland, Houston, Miami and Portland folded.  They just walked away from the league and stopped operating.  2 others relocated.  13 teams now exist.   It is apparently a risky business model.  I hope we are not set up for failure.

3) Financial Security:

In 2003 the WNBA was supported by  $12,000,000 in funding from the NBA.  Purportedly the NBA is now losing money as ticket prices are reduced and corporate sponsorships cut way back.  The WNBA, according to David Stern, will break even this year.

http://sports.in.msn.com/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3038218
http://tvnz.co.nz/basketball-news/nba-getting-through-tough-times-2539976

Likewise, I will trust the knowledge of investors putting up millions betting on the league over internet naysayers who claim it will fail.  I tend to agree with the latter as a gut reaction, but really don't know anything.  I'm guessing those actually considering putting cash up know more than I.

4) Quality Jobs:

Professional men's basketball gets funding from the State quality jobs act in Oklahoma City.  Does professional women's basketball get such money in Tulsa?  The salary cap for the team is around $900,000 with players earning between a minimum of $35,500 and a cap of $100,000 (exclusive of bonuses and wages earned in the off-season playing over seas, Olympics, sponsorships/appearances, etc.).   The roster has been cut from 13 to 11 players to stave off economic hardships.  

Revenue of the WNBA was $85,000,000.  The average NBA team is worth $330mil and the league does $3.2 Billion a year in revenue (MLB $6.2B, NFL $6 bil).  So I understand it isn't the same thing (or even close),  but by the definition of the law these are quality jobs. They pay above average, include insurance, and are creating positions.  

Now, include the created exception for the NBA, that professional sports counts, and they should qualify as a quality job.  I doubt the WNBA in Tulsa gets the $50mil the NBA got in OKC . . . and I still think it's bogus.  But there it is.

5) 17 home games.  Average attendance for a WNBA game varies wildly by franchise, from 12,000 in Washington to 3,500 in Chicago.  The league average is trending slightly upward around 8,000.  Only Chicago averages less than 6,500 and the vast majority of teams are at 8,000 +/- 500 fans.  The Tallons averaged ~6,500 fans.
http://womensbasketballonline.com/wnba/attendance/sbsatten.pdf

So lets assume 6,500 fans 17 days a year paying an average of $20 each (the ticket prices are similar to the Tallons, it appears.  $15 for cheap seats, $30 for middle of the row, and $90+ for the really nice ones.  Based on my limited survey.  FWIW, many arenas are also selling parking passes with tickets for $15 - $50.  We whine about $5 parking 2 blocks away).  That's $2.2 million in ticket revenue for the BOk center, concessions, and 100,000+ people in downtown Tulsa.  And, seeing that it only occupies 17 dates, it shouldn't interfere with scheduling of other events at the BOk center  (NBA has 40+ dates).  

6) Other teams:

Other cities with teams include:  Atlanta, Chicago, Conn., Detroit, Indianapolis, NYC, DC, LA, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Seattle.  Not a list of slackers.

Other cities are looking to get teams also, some in the works for about a year and the league seems open to all overtures.  Toronto, Nashville, Denver and Baltimore have all expressed interest in or since 2008.    Again, not a list of slackers.

7) Big time city?

No, I don't think having an WNBA team puts one on the map the same way the NBA or even the litany of other sports OKC hosts that get it on ESPN from time to time (ie. Softball world series).  I could not have told you for sure what cities had a team or not.  Frankly, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the season was going on right now.

Frankly, I'd prefer AAA baseball.  I'd REALLY like to see an MLS franchise.  It's not because the WNBA is a women's sport, while it might play into it on a subconscious level (bias admitted, sorry) - it is the lack of everyone else's interest that matters.  It doesn't draw the coverage other sports do.  MLS has a Kx with ESPN and you can catch a game almost every night (WNBA has a contract to, not sure why I never see the games).  AAA baseball is well known everywhere and has known parties in it.  On a national levle, no one really cares about the WNBA.   As messed up as that is, it is attention from other people that make it "big time" or not.

Now, it is big time for Tulsa.  A typical AF2 team has $1.2mil in revenue and pays players ~$.  A WNBA team apparently has six times that amount of revenue (84mil league revenue / 13).   AF2 players make $200 a game, WNBA players ~$1500.

So I don't think this puts Tulsa on the worlds sports map.  Frankly, I think it does less than the University of Tulsa's athletic programs do (on national TV ~10 times a year).  But it certainly won't hurt.  More things going on in Tulsa means more to do.  If we can support a WNBA team maybe MLS looks closer at us, maybe the new stadium and other interest brings in a AAA franchise.  

Cool Name:

If we manage to get the franchise, which I think I'm looking forward to (and will probably attend a game or two a year... as I do the Tallons and Oilers), we will need a name!

A)  Oklahoma X or the Tulsa X?   Ahh this great debate.  I'd vote for Oklahoma on instinct, but since OKC has an NBA team will people associated it automatically with OKC?  And if so, do we care?

B) Name.  The radio stations have been shooting some horrible pun/offensive names.  There has to be some good ones out there!

KRMG WNBA short stat article:
http://krmg.com/blogs/krmg_sports_with_rick_couri/2009/07/will-the-wnba-come-to-tulsa.html

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org