A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:34:05 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Route 66 Museum on Riverside  (Read 31832 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2021, 02:23:47 pm »

A few stories of housing on top of a retail layer with a nice patio overlooking the river would be nice. Like Artist said though, it's not high traffic or well connected, but at least it does have great visibility, trail access, and a decent local density in the surrounding neighborhood. I just want more riverside hangouts. Yard bar/sand bar is great, but no reason it should be the only business taking advantage of the river.

I think Sand Bar/Yard Bar can’t have any competing F&B places within a certain radius.  Obviously doesn’t affect this site but is a challenge for building more critical mass at 19th & Riverside.  17th & Riverside would be a good spot if outside that radius, it has an existing parking lot and is across the street from the Cosmopolitan.  I envision a lot of the older apartments along Riverside north of there will be redeveloped so between 11th and 21st will be a livelier area.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2022, 03:08:58 pm »

RFP due date was last month - four proposals, two are being evaluated in more depth.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-receives-four-proposals-for-route-66-mixed-use-development-evaluation-process-begins/article_856b74a0-82b1-11ec-ab15-4bf213ca105a.html

Sounds like Ross Group might have gotten a little ahead of themselves by claiming they had the site and were ready to break ground.

Just in case anyone missed what was said prior to the RFP deadline:

https://ktul.com/news/local/interactive-route-66-museum-drive-in-theater-pushing-for-a-2022-groundbreaking

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/route-66-alliances-proposed-boutique-hotel-interpretive-center-may-not-happen-heres-why/article_3e34dfd0-722c-11ec-99ec-8fd8bbfed39b.html
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2022, 03:44:02 pm »

Which two are moving forward?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:37 pm »

Which two are moving forward?

No official word about that yet - I'm sure there will be more info that comes out about the proposals here soon.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2022, 10:28:10 am »

This is pretty cool.  If built like these renderings this will be a destination.

ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2022, 11:30:13 am »

Very interesting concept... I'll give them credit for that! I think we need to beautify "Route 66" a bit before I'd pay money to rent a car and drive it. Not sure it's worth money to drive by AutoZone and KC MotorSports lol
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2022, 04:29:01 pm »

I dunno. It's better that some designs but still forgettable and the Carvana-wannabe tower isn't actually as nice as a Carvana tower and those all pale in comparison to the VW Autostadt.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2022, 04:33:29 pm »

Very interesting concept... I'll give them credit for that! I think we need to beautify "Route 66" a bit before I'd pay money to rent a car and drive it. Not sure it's worth money to drive by AutoZone and KC MotorSports lol

Maybe not but used car lots, auto parts stores, head shops, large balls of twine and cheap motels is all Route 66 ever was. I'd rather it be car-centric than a bunch of trinket hipster stores.

/ no offense to trinket hipster stores  Grin
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2022, 05:41:24 pm »

Maybe not but used car lots, auto parts stores, head shops, large balls of twine and cheap motels is all Route 66 ever was. I'd rather it be car-centric than a bunch of trinket hipster stores.

I don't guess it's called the Mother Road because it was Public Transit dominate.

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2022, 11:31:55 pm »

This is pretty cool.  If built like these renderings this will be a destination.

Head scratcher to me why the Discovery kids museum didn't have more of a destination architecture like this.  When I drive by it on Riverside, it could be a credit union headquarters, a field clinic of St. John's, Gateway Mortgage North or similar.  I can't imagine why the Children's Discovery museum powers that be didn't consider an exterior that would grab the imagination before ever entering the building.  It's not a bad rectangular box, but I'm sure or I hope the architects would have made it more magical than it it is on the outside if left to their own.    
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2022, 11:36:01 pm »

/ no offense to trinket hipster stores  Grin

They should rehab the old fenced-off Arkansas River Bridge making it part of this complex --- a pedestrian mall with a permanent cafe, temporary retail kiosks and sitting areas. 
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2022, 06:10:18 am »

They should rehab the old fenced-off Arkansas River Bridge making it part of this complex --- a pedestrian mall with a permanent cafe, temporary retail kiosks and sitting areas.  

How about somewhere permanent to have car shows? Not car "displays" but a place for local clubs to be able to host shows - large ones like 300-1000 cars? Now that would be a destination. A large hotel at the venue and food shops would absolutely clean up as would the city in tax money.

Route 66 needs to be cars, food, more cars, more food, and weird-ašš roadside attractions.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:29:05 am by tulsabug » Logged
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2022, 06:13:14 am »

Head scratcher to me why the Discovery kids museum didn't have more of a destination architecture like this.  When I drive by it on Riverside, it could be a credit union headquarters, a field clinic of St. John's, Gateway Mortgage North or similar.  I can't imagine why the Children's Discovery museum powers that be didn't consider an exterior that would grab the imagination before ever entering the building.  It's not a bad rectangular box, but I'm sure or I hope the architects would have made it more magical than it it is on the outside if left to their own.    

A giant dinosaur coming out of the top of the building would have been cool. Maybe take some notes from the Indianapolis Childen's Museum:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:18:55 am by tulsabug » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2022, 08:29:44 am »

I’ve thought the same thing, nice building and I’m glad it’s there (and great for local kids) but could’ve been more of a destination.  I guess if they ever expanded to the south they could cantilever the building across Crow Creek which would be pretty cool. 

I’ll say it: Selser Schaefer is a better design architect than KKT.

Dspike
Activist

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2023, 08:48:31 am »

Project has been withdrawn...

“We made the mistake of submitting a project that simply cost far more than it would ever be worth after further future construction analysis project costs,” Honea and Elliott said. “The only way we could serve as good stewards of the incentive capital provided by the city, county and state, would be to make drastic changes to the scope of the project, which we believe would have put members of the selection committee in the awkward position of determining how much change is too much change, so we have decided to withdraw our proposal.”

The six-story development was to have included retail space, dining, and a 40-room hotel and interpretive center with 17,000 square feet of outdoor terrace and amphitheater space.

Plans for the top three floors of the building called for 55 apartments, including one-story, two-story and studio units.

The proposal also envisioned a multi-story classic car vending machine, which was to have been built in front of the hotel and interpretive center.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/developer-withdraws-plans-for-route-66-mixed-use-project-near-old-11th-street-bridge/article_1d7f3718-f368-11ed-b7c5-a3d189e177a1.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org