A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:42:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1077090 times)
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #1605 on: January 05, 2020, 06:37:32 pm »

There's also the Hyatt Place Hotel under construction in the 400 South Boston building at 4th and Boston in the Deco district.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1606 on: January 05, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »

Thinking about the next wave of developments, not a ton of information and/or confidence in these just yet:

Arts District
- GKFF mixed-use project at Easton & Boulder
- Hanson Brothers mixed-use project/brewery at Cameron & Main
- Renovation of Philbrook Downtown into the Bob Dylan Archive (still bummed we aren't going to see a new building for this..)
- GreenArch II office building at Archer & Greenwood

Blue Dome
- Santa Fe Square office building??  They have stated that is the next phase, then the residential portion
- PAC Annex residential and grocery store??
- OTASCO project at 3rd & Cincinnati finishing up by the end of the year

East Village
- Redevelopment of the NORDAM site by Brickhugger??

Deco District
- Renovation of the Reunion Building (4th & Main) into apartments
- Renovation of the Holarud Building (3rd & Main) into offices

Soccer stadium announcement is on the horizon as well.  USL has required its clubs to have a plan in place by 2020.  I think they're looking at potential site in SW quadrant of IDL that would link up Cathedral District parking and Arena District, but there's also at least one site being considered outside IDL.  I would think Nordam site makes most sense by far, but no clue if that's on the table.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1607 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:41 am »

Soccer stadium announcement is on the horizon as well.  USL has required its clubs to have a plan in place by 2020.  I think they're looking at potential site in SW quadrant of IDL that would link up Cathedral District parking and Arena District, but there's also at least one site being considered outside IDL.  I would think Nordam site makes most sense by far, but no clue if that's on the table.

A potential soccer stadium has been discussed on here before and the consensus seems to be that while it could be nice and in theory is much better than empty parking lots, it would be an overall waste of space and would kill any potential walkability or neighborhood cohesiveness. Some argue that it is even worse than a parking lot because while a parking lot might be financially feasible to turn into a mixed-use building, demolishing a soccer stadium will pretty much never be economically viable to do the same. That's a big footprint for something that will be used once or so per week most of the time.

Just outside the IDL would be better and even further away could be much better (There's a big open spot on the SW corner of 15th and Yale!).

As exciting as it might be for the club, a new soccer field is such a waste of resources. I wish they'd make some sort of deal with TU. TU doesn't even need Chapman stadium to hold the 500 people who show up for games. They could just play at the soccer field if there's a conflict (Then it might looked packed out for a football game for once!). Besides, there's a pretty significant chance TU's football program won't even be around in 10 years. They went all-in on it in 2004 and it never panned out in terms of revenue to pay the bonds.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1608 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:01 am »

The building on the corner of 6th and Denver also is being renovated into something... they're adding a fire escape on the south side of the building. Looks like the inside are in the midst of being re done.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #1609 on: January 06, 2020, 12:32:28 pm »

The building on the corner of 6th and Denver also is being renovated into something... they're adding a fire escape on the south side of the building. Looks like the inside are in the midst of being re done.

I bet what you are referring to is the former Community Care building.  Tulsa County has purchased it and is in the process of renovating it.  Here's some renderings from GH2 Architects
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1610 on: January 06, 2020, 01:29:35 pm »

I bet what you are referring to is the former Community Care building.  Tulsa County has purchased it and is in the process of renovating it.  Here's some renderings from GH2 Architects

I didn't realize they were changing the aesthetics of that building, looks nice for a government complex. I always thought City Hall could use some improved signage, especially up high so it can be seen like other businesses. Maybe incorporate a Tulsa flag logo.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1611 on: January 06, 2020, 02:08:11 pm »

Nice!! That's a huge improvement from what the building looks like now.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1612 on: January 06, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »

A potential soccer stadium has been discussed on here before and the consensus seems to be that while it could be nice and in theory is much better than empty parking lots, it would be an overall waste of space and would kill any potential walkability or neighborhood cohesiveness. Some argue that it is even worse than a parking lot because while a parking lot might be financially feasible to turn into a mixed-use building, demolishing a soccer stadium will pretty much never be economically viable to do the same. That's a big footprint for something that will be used once or so per week most of the time.

Just outside the IDL would be better and even further away could be much better (There's a big open spot on the SW corner of 15th and Yale!).

As exciting as it might be for the club, a new soccer field is such a waste of resources. I wish they'd make some sort of deal with TU. TU doesn't even need Chapman stadium to hold the 500 people who show up for games. They could just play at the soccer field if there's a conflict (Then it might looked packed out for a football game for once!). Besides, there's a pretty significant chance TU's football program won't even be around in 10 years. They went all-in on it in 2004 and it never panned out in terms of revenue to pay the bonds.

Does TU Soccer currently play on the field just west of Delaware north of Bama Pie?  I like the idea of having Chapman Stadium also used for soccer.  I think the area along 11th through TU is on the verge of redevelopment into a more pedestrian-oriented streetscape that ties into the new Rt 66 developments further west.  Having more people in that area for both soccer and football/basketball games is good for that.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1613 on: January 06, 2020, 05:23:46 pm »

Does TU Soccer currently play on the field just west of Delaware north of Bama Pie?  I like the idea of having Chapman Stadium also used for soccer.  I think the area along 11th through TU is on the verge of redevelopment into a more pedestrian-oriented streetscape that ties into the new Rt 66 developments further west.  Having more people in that area for both soccer and football/basketball games is good for that.

Chapman's field isn't actually wide enough and it's not grass.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1614 on: January 06, 2020, 08:06:55 pm »

It’s not really a debate - there will be plans for a brand new soccer-specific stadium announced soon. 
https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/feasability-study-on-outdoor-performance-venue-expected-to-be-made/article_2f4925e7-aa23-5e3e-a92d-5a4a70b1a0a1.html

The Chamber has been talking about it for years. They want it to be downtown. And the new ownership didn’t buy a team to have them play in a baseball park.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/tulsa-roughnecks-fc-announce-new-ownership-group/article_84e204f3-979e-5093-87b7-1121b7145b5a.html

In a press release, the new ownership group says it would continue playing at ONEOK Field, while looking at, “our long-term soccer-specific stadium strategy.”

My point is: put it on your list of downtown/core developments to watch for in 2020.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #1615 on: January 06, 2020, 08:12:48 pm »

It’s not really a debate - there will be plans for a brand new soccer-specific stadium announced soon.  
https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/feasability-study-on-outdoor-performance-venue-expected-to-be-made/article_2f4925e7-aa23-5e3e-a92d-5a4a70b1a0a1.html

The Chamber has been talking about it for years. They want it to be downtown. And the new ownership didn’t buy a team to have them play in a baseball park.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/tulsa-roughnecks-fc-announce-new-ownership-group/article_84e204f3-979e-5093-87b7-1121b7145b5a.html

My point is: put it on your list of downtown/core developments to watch for in 2020.

Interesting... So... that study referenced in the first link was supposed to be available about 9 months ago??  And was "essentially done" 10 months ago??  A quick Google search turns up a bunch of links to news about the funding and beginning of the study.  Since March 2019 and the above-linked Tulsa World article... crickets.
Would it be impertinent to ask about the results of the study?   Cost estimates?  Potential demand?  Possible construction sites?  All of those topics were supposed to have been addressed.

FWIW, the second link mentions they want a soccer-specific stadium, but I don't think it says anything about downtown.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:26:48 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1616 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:02 pm »

They’re doing that thing where they hold their plan back until all parties are aligned. There was some mention somewhere of feasibility studies - they want the numbers to pencil out. Also the change in ownership presumably delayed things.

My understanding is that a stadium would require 17 acres—more than a city block—so unless I’m missing something it’s either a site around 11th and Denver (the Chamber’s preference), Nordam (just my guess), or outside downtown—like the West Bank concrete plant where GKFF maintains a purchase option.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #1617 on: January 06, 2020, 08:35:25 pm »

They’re doing that thing where they hold their plan back until all parties are aligned. There was some mention somewhere of feasibility studies - they want the numbers to pencil out. Also the change in ownership presumably delayed things.

There was some mention somewhere of feasibility studies???  Yeah, that's what the linked Tulsa World story was about... the feasibility study.  They (the creators/keepers of the feasibility study) told us the feasibility study was essentially done and would be made public as soon as April (2019, NOT 2020).  The change of ownership should be irrelevant to the feasibility study.  The study shows what it shows. Where is it? 

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #1618 on: January 06, 2020, 08:39:32 pm »

My understanding is that a stadium would require 17 acres—more than a city block—so unless I’m missing something it’s either a site around 11th and Denver (the Chamber’s preference), Nordam (just my guess), or outside downtown—like the West Bank concrete plant where GKFF maintains a purchase option.

11th and Denver???  Wow, that would be another huge swing and a miss (not at all surprising that would be the Chamber's choice). 

BTW, yes, 17 acres is more than a city block. A lot more.  17 acres takes up more than 6 downtown Tulsa city blocks.  I'd love to see how they propose to assemble 17 acres around 11th and Denver.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:54:16 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1619 on: January 06, 2020, 08:44:12 pm »

Ask the Chamber. They’re a private entity so I guess they’ll show us when they want to. My guess is that the ongoing dispute over the hotel assessment may have something to do with it.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/tulsa-hotelier-seeking-to-stop-hotel-assessment-fails-to-provide/article_27d55a93-deaf-5b38-820e-3217e3280394.html
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org