A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:29 am
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076707 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #675 on: July 13, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

Me likey!
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #676 on: July 13, 2016, 01:59:21 pm »

Will go well with this.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #677 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »

Sure, build the big duct tape tornado to go with our stainless steel cinammon roll and the bizarre OKPOP building. Then if we could get the big Indian built somewhere inside the IDL, Tulsa would have to be tops in the country for the most pancakes architecture within a downtown area.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #678 on: July 13, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »

I like it, though the scale seems off for the Brady District.  Something 4 stories would be less overpowering than 6 stories as shown. 

Does any part of downtown have an architectural review board?  If not are there any parts that you think should?  I know OKC has one for Bricktown to keep that same scale and aesthetic, same goes for Lodo in Denver.  Is it worth keeping the Brady looking like a brick warehouse district even with the new development or should it not be restricted?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #679 on: July 13, 2016, 04:34:11 pm »

My first impression of the POP Center was wow, how ugly can it get.

That is still my impression.  It would look good somewhere where no one in the Tulsa Metro would ever have to look at it.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #680 on: July 13, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »

I like it too, the exterior surfaces are going to be important to the overall success of the building.

Not everything has to look the same.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #681 on: July 13, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »

So, Townsend, from that vantage point, I'm guessing that you (and Ibanez and Hoss and erfalf and Red Arrow) do NOT feel as though the OKPOP museum building is giving you a hug across right field?
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #682 on: July 13, 2016, 05:14:26 pm »

My first impression of the POP Center was wow, how ugly can it get.

That is still my impression.  It would look good somewhere where no one in the Tulsa Metro would ever have to look at it.

Easy solution:  Increase the setback distance from Elgin (by a few miles).    Smiley
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #683 on: July 13, 2016, 05:15:21 pm »

Sweet God...seriously?

So, Townsend, from that vantage point, I'm guessing that you (and Ibanez and Hoss and erfalf and Red Arrow) do NOT feel as though the OKPOP museum building is giving you a hug across right field?

No, that building is a punch right to the baby maker.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #684 on: July 13, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »

Sweet God...seriously?

It looks like a giant Lego monster.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #685 on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:17 pm »

I love it.  Grin

But yes, the kind of finishes will make a big difference and also interested to see how the first floor meets the sidewalk (lots of windows versus blank walls etc).  When you have a museum like this you will have a lot of blank wall space somewhere in order to have all the neat displays and such inside, but you don't have to have blank walls all the way around at ground level.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
johrasephoenix
« Reply #686 on: July 13, 2016, 09:15:52 pm »

Looks pretty interesting.  But William's right - what matters for the experience of "being" in the Brady is how it interacts at the street level - which at this point we don't know.  

It's also worth noting that the folks backing the Oklahoma Historical Society have a pretty solid track record of pulling off awesome projects.  Universal Ford, Philbrook downtown, AHHA, Guthrie Green, are all pretty awesome.  I'd lean towards benefit of the doubt.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #687 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »

I love it.  Grin

But yes, the kind of finishes will make a big difference and also interested to see how the first floor meets the sidewalk (lots of windows versus blank walls etc).  When you have a museum like this you will have a lot of blank wall space somewhere in order to have all the neat displays and such inside, but you don't have to have blank walls all the way around at ground level.

Yeah, I want the base, the first floor, to be brick and glazing right to the sidewalk like the older buildings in the area, and have the modern elements and surfaces grow out of and above the brick. It has real potential.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #688 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:16 pm »

Yeah, I want the base, the first floor, to be brick and glazing right to the sidewalk like the older buildings in the area, and have the modern elements and surfaces grow out of and above the brick. It has real potential.

I think that's how it is currently designed. At least, that's how it appears from the renderings above.

It's a (or appears to be a) very nice building representing an architectural style not really seen in Tulsa. It's certainly much better looking than the other proposal.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #689 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »

Easy solution:  Increase the setback distance from Elgin (by a few miles).    Smiley

OK, just as long as those few miles don't put it anywhere near Bixby.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org