A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:44 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076614 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »

Well, guess the OK Pop museum failed to pass in the house.  Reason apparently....

Opponents say "the museum is not a core function of state government".

Well neither is fixing an old dilapidated building because it's historic and has art in it when it would have cost less to build a new, modern office building within which to "do the core functions of state government'.  Oh wait..... 

Tulsa doesn't get a museum to preserve and showcase its history and art, but if your arse is sitting in a building that does that, well it of course makes sense for the people of Tulsa and the rest of the state to spend a lot of their money to fix that.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2015, 08:00:09 am »

Well, guess the OK Pop museum failed to pass in the house.  Reason apparently....

Well neither is fixing an old dilapidated building because it's historic and has art in it when it would have cost less to build a new, modern office building within which to "do the core functions of state government'.  Oh wait..... 

Tulsa doesn't get a museum to preserve and showcase its history and art, but if your arse is sitting in a building that does that, well it of course makes sense for the people of Tulsa and the rest of the state to spend a lot of their money to fix that.

Yeah.  It's disappointing but not surprising at all. 

I hate to always shrug my shoulders but Oklahoma has managed to elect a bunch of short sighted morons to be our leaders.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:59 am »

Yeah.  It's disappointing but not surprising at all. 

I hate to always shrug my shoulders but Oklahoma has managed to elect a bunch of short sighted morons to be our leaders.

As with most things, if Tulsa wants it done Tulsa is going to have to do it on its own. The troglodytes in elected office will never do much to help Tulsa or the rest of the state outside of OKC.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2015, 09:13:55 am »

Considering how long it took for the state to bail out the American Indian Cultural Center, which is just sitting there unfinished and at one time had high hopes of being one of the premier cultural museums in the country, I didn't expect this to actually happen.  Maybe next year..

Honestly I'd rather have a really impressive science center downtown than a museum dedicated to Oklahoma pop culture.  Not that it wouldn't be a good addition but there are better options IMHO.

cbs
Citizen

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:59 am »

Honestly I'd rather have a really impressive science center downtown than a museum dedicated to Oklahoma pop culture.  Not that it wouldn't be a good addition but there are better options IMHO.

Yeah I'm definitely disappointed in our legislature voting this down, but I also thought that an OK pop culture museum could be better suited as something else. However, I don't know of anyone proposing something different.

And one legislator mentioned Woody Guthrie's ties to communism? Is that seriously a reason against OKPOP? We have national halls of fame to the abject hedonism that is common in rock stardom...
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

Decision reversed!
It will be funded!

http://m.newsok.com/article/5421558?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ShareBar-Twitter
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2015, 11:40:18 am »

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2015, 11:43:41 am »

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:20 am »

That's so creepy
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2015, 11:54:19 am »

That's so creepy

Creepy Squared
davideinstein
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2015, 01:09:39 pm »

Amen.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »

Wow, some Tulsa reps must have some blackmail worthy photos of someone.  Good outcome however it came about.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2015, 02:13:00 pm »

Here is breakdown on today's vote - with some local reps voting against it even knowing that the additional money for the Indian museum had already passed.

YEAS:   51

Banz               Fourkiller         Montgomery         Shoemake           

Billy              Griffith           Morrissette        Stone             

Brown              Henke              Mulready           Thomsen           

Cannaday           Hoskin             Murdock            Virgin             

Christian          Inman              Nelson             Walker             

Cleveland          Joyner             Nollan             Wallace           

Condit             Kirby              Peterson           Watson             

Coody, A.          Kouplen            Proctor            Williams           

Coody, J.          Leewright          Pruett             Wood               

Cooksey            Lepak              Rousselot          Wright             

Cox                Lockhart           Scott              Young             

Denney             Loring             Shelton            Mr. Speaker       

Dunnington         McPeak             Sherrer           

NAYS:   40

Bennett            Faught             McCall             Perryman           

Biggs              Fisher             McCullough         Pfeiffer           

Brumbaugh          Grau               McDaniel, R.       Ritze             

Caldwell           Hall               Moore              Roberts, D.       

Calvey             Hardin             Murphey            Rogers             

Casey              Johnson            Newell             Sanders           

Cockroft           Jordan             Ortega             Sears             

Derby              Kannady            Osborn             Strohm             

Dunlap             Kern               Ownbey             Vaughan           

Echols             Martin             Park               Wesselhoft         

EXCUSED:    8

Enns               McDaniel, J.       Renegar            Russ               

McBride            O'Donnell          Roberts, S.        Tadlock           
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:14 pm »

I was looking to see if the native american center had passed the house yet and couldn't find it.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:24 pm »

I was looking to see if the native american center had passed the house yet and couldn't find it.

That's why I was pissed.
That passed but not OK Pop.

Now...we're good!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org