A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:24:43 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 71536 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 10:19:33 pm »

Now you're just being a troll.
Maybe you should go back to the shooting sports.

With an attitude like that, you're hardly advancing your cause...

Oh well, I don't have a dog in this hunt.  One or the other will survive.  I suspect your anguish over this is because now that the Roughnecks FC are now a reality, you feel the Athletics will struggle.  We'll see.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:33 pm »

But hey, if that's working out for you - onward and downward!!

That seems to be the direction you want to take the conversation.
Pity.

You said it yourself - the opportunities dating back 20 years...well, they actually go back further - well into the 70's, but the number you use is a reflection of your age and what is "real" in that shorter time frame.  The city has not "blown" it - the concept has not reached the "critical mass" necessary to gain enough support to make it happen yet - for whatever reason or reasons.

I had to re-read this one... listen, H-bomb... Major League Soccer is less than 20 years old and Tulsa was one of 18 "finalists" in a bid dating back to 1994.  Any opportunities to join MLS that "actually go back further - well into the 70's" would be firmly in the domain of Miss Cleo.  Just sayin'

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:32:08 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »

I suspect your anguish over this is because now that the Roughnecks FC are now a reality, you feel the Athletics will struggle.  We'll see.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/crude-is-nice/article_884bcc5b-c49f-509a-b4eb-0c3301aead53.html

http://theheatisoff.yuku.com/topic/469/Tulsa-We-Already-Have-A-Hockey-Team-Crude-Oil#.VA_W7mMge9Q

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »

OK, so you trot out 13 year old articles relating to the Crude and Oilers.  Apples and oranges.  Crude were juniors (16-18 year olds who can't be paid to play).  Your point is?....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:36 pm »

OK, so you trot out 13 year old articles relating to the Crude and Oilers.  Apples and oranges.  Crude were juniors (16-18 year olds who can't be paid to play).  Your point is?....

One team played at the fairgrounds, the other downtown.

The Athletics can't pay their players if they want to use current TU and ORU players... NCAA rules.

The NPSL season is short; the Roughnecks will start a month earlier than the A's and will finish a month and a half later.
After a year or two of this, it's not hard to see the potential for problems... I think our guys deserved better than getting stuck in a situation where their only logical way out is to leapfrog the Zombie Roughnecks and make a jump to the NASL... http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/tulsa-athletics-officials-in-discussions-with-nasl-for-pro-soccer/article_516c8411-c551-5d95-b8d2-7e7f13be80cb.html

Just so you know, there's alot more bad blood between USL Pro and the NASL than there is between the CHL and AHL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:29:51 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 11:32:12 pm »

One team played at the fairgrounds, the other downtown.

The Athletics can't pay their players if they want to use current TU and ORU players... NCAA rules.

The NPSL season is short; the Roughnecks will start a month earlier than the A's and will finish a month and a half later.
After a year or two of this, it's not hard to see the potential for problems... I think our guys deserved better than getting stuck in a situation where their only logical way out is to leapfrog the Zombie Roughnecks and jump to the NASL...

The problem with the Crude had nothing to do with having to compete with the Oilers because they really weren't.  Monte WANTED a junior team.  He knew what it was and knew he couldn't get CC dates because the Oilers had a contract with the City.  The final nail in the Crude coffin was the ownership.  Hell, the old owner of the Oilers (your friend Jeff Lund) damn near ran that team into the ground until the Steven Brothers saved it a couple of seasons ago.

And just so YOU know...there is no bad blood between the AHL and the CHL.  The CHL realizes that the AHL is AAA hockey and most teams at that level are getting financial backing from their parent clubs (OKC gets money from Edmonton...why do you think they survive with those horrific attendance numbers?).  CHL knows it's AA hockey and most clubs don't have anything other than 'unofficial' affiliations with any club in a higher league, much less NHL teams.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:34:36 pm by Hoss » Logged

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 12:08:19 am »

And just so YOU know...there is no bad blood between the AHL and the CHL.

Didn't say there was.  Assumed there wasn't, actually.

There's bad blood between the NASL (D-2) and USL Pro (D-3).
There's bad blood between Brad Lund and Bob Funk Jr in OKC.

Both Lund and Funk Jr wanted a USL Pro team in OKC... Lund's group bought an amateur level USL club hoping that would give them an inside track; USL instead chose Funk Jr... unbeknownst to the USL, Lund's group was also pursuing an NASL club simultaneously, despite signing a USL contract with a non-compete clause... once Lund was granted an NASL expansion team for 2015, the USL sent cease-and-desist letters and a couple of lawsuits followed.  Both Lund and Funk Jr. started trying to get a team in Tulsa, because they both felt the rivalry could put their prospective groups over the top.  Lund's lead investor defected to Funk Jr's OKC Energy about six months ago, and it seems OKC's NASL group is stuck... just so you know, I'm about as big a fan of Brad Lund as you are of Jeff.

Oh, and that Roughnecks FC commercial idea?
I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery... of course, we filmed ours after our first season had ended... the commercials aired during the FA Cup and a couple of the USA World Cup games.

And so the soap opera goes on...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:30:11 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:50 am »

Oh, and that Roughnecks FC commercial idea?
I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery...

You invented the TV commercial promoting a soccer team?

Wow. I apologize for everything.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:12 am »

You invented the TV commercial promoting a soccer team?

No.

Nice strawman you made there, though.

Athletics fans and the Ultras did this last year.  https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=614227443116

Compare.
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Roughnecks-Need-Fans-for-Commercial-Shoot.html?soid=1115895323242&aid=AqWysG2ZbKg

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:07 am »

That seems to be the direction you want to take the conversation.
Pity.

I had to re-read this one... listen, H-bomb... Major League Soccer is less than 20 years old and Tulsa was one of 18 "finalists" in a bid dating back to 1994.  Any opportunities to join MLS that "actually go back further - well into the 70's" would be firmly in the domain of Miss Cleo.  Just sayin'

Oh, thank you!!  I just love it when you walk right in, and sit right down.....

Soccer fans are so stimulation starved from their game that they are trying to make it into something it isn't.  They want to emulate something with excitement, energy, a little touch of "danger" - kind of a gladiatorial type sport - like UFC!!  I think they are succeeding....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=893549154025609&fref=nf

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 09:12:07 am »

seriously rufnex...

Is there a sports team in Tulsa that DIDN'T shoot a promotional TV commercial?

Power is nothing till you use it.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 11:09:35 am »

I really like going to the Athletics games, something about the experience feels very "Tulsa". I hope Tulsa will support two teams but if only one can survive I'm Tulsa till I die.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 11:10:00 am »

seriously rufnex...

Is there a sports team in Tulsa that DIDN'T shoot a promotional TV commercial?

The late 66ers?
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:08 am »

There are only two things I can't stand in this World. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures. And the Dutch!  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »

There are only two things I can't stand in this World. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures. And the Dutch!  Grin

Wow, an Austin Powers reference in a TN thread.  What is the world coming to?   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org