A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:43:55 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New highway dividers.  (Read 45497 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

They "deflect" that energy right back into the person who hits it, resulting in higher fatalities and chance of injury.

If you hit it head on, yes.  Otherwise there is still momentum at an oblique angle, greatly dissipated.  Same angle striking a cable; you are brought to a complete stop immediately, where the G-forces are more likely to be lethal.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

If you hit it head on, yes.  Otherwise there is still momentum at an oblique angle, greatly dissipated.  Same angle striking a cable; you are brought to a complete stop immediately, where the G-forces are more likely to be lethal.

Not true according to the information I previously posted (which comes from the Feds)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 08:24:38 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/sapulpa-motorcyclist-dies-in-wreck-with-cable-barrier-on-u/article_5a054f0b-8b15-5105-86d8-6a87ababcc9a.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 09:38:56 am »

Those troopers apparently didnt say if a helmet would have been relevant to his injuries.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »

Those troopers apparently didnt say if a helmet would have been relevant to his injuries.

Someone on a motorcycle at highway speed without a helmet who leaves to road, I'm not sure if it matters which of the 98 ways that ends in death. Could've died running into a beany baby barrier.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 09:09:12 am »

I'm sure a helmet would have protected the head after it was decapitated from the cable barrier......

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:33 am »

I'm sure a helmet would have protected the head after it was decapitated from the cable barrier......

Keeps it all centrally located for easy scoop shovel retrieval... there is no winning in that kind of scenario.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:02 am »

The contracts for repairing these in perpetuity must be lucrative; why else would we continue to do something that consistently doesnt work?

A motorcyclist was killed Sunday afternoon when he was hit head-on by an SUV that leapt a cable barrier dividing the eastbound and westbound lanes of the Keystone Expressway.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/update-motorcyclist-killed-in-head-on-collision-on-u-s/article_81738347-b4e4-5d21-98ce-ee70f8433f23.html

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:37 pm »

10 years ago some of you thought I was talking out my donkey on how bad these are.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=7094.0
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

10 years ago some of you thought I was talking out my donkey on how bad these are.

If the Suburban was already rolling when it got to the barrier, the barrier may have just been an incidental player in this mess rather than a cause.  It was shocking to see the Harley bagger inside the Suburban via the windshield.  I believe that's what you call a million-to-one shot.

Oh, but cable barriers do still suck.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:12 am »

On a very early ABATE Toy Run - about number 4 or 5, IIRC - after toys were delivered, and everyone left the bar across from Jack's, one of the participants was going through the inner dispersal loop and had some trouble keeping it straight and level on the road.  The passenger panicked and either tried to step off, or was thrown from the back of the bike (not sure which), sliding down the guard rail barrier there and basically was cut into halves.  Any bike incident can turn serious to the point of grim in a flash.  As can car wrecks.  

Having said that, the cables seem like a much easier way for things to go very badly, very quickly, in a bigger variety of vehicles.  And maintenance has to be just pure stupid - another gravy train kickback event for someone's cronies!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:55:54 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 09:22:33 am »

Oh, but cable barriers do still suck.

Someone at KOTV found a new use for cable barriers:

Police say four men smashed a door to the convenience store on 51st just west of Memorial, News On 6 was told. They tried to pull an ATM machine using a cable barrier, but the cable broke.
The men apparently weren't sure what to do after the cable broke, looked at each other and drove off, police said
http://www.newson6.com/story/36993859/thieves-steal-cigarettes-from-tulsa-gas-station

Im guessing cut-and-paste, but still...

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2019, 05:22:00 pm »

Police determined McCurley was under the influence of methamphetamine and talking on his cellphone when his westbound 1999 Chevrolet Suburban struck the center cable barrier, rolled and slid into eastbound traffic, colliding with the motorcycle. Ayers was pronounced dead on scene, and McCurley and Rodriguez were taken to St. John Medical Center. Rodriguez, 36, survived.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/tulsa-man-gets-years-in-fatal-motorcycle-crash/article_a54e5101-3108-58fb-97c1-2676489d33b0.htm

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2019, 09:09:07 pm »

In Phoenix, when they built several highways from 1998 to 2004, they initially installed these cheese graters along the center median, and then later went on to convert most all the highways to Jersey Barriers when they converted them to highways with HOV lanes. Cable barriers are okay, but they don't completely prevent crossover accidents, and sometimes are worse. Cars can go through them, get snagged and cause rollover accidents, and if a motorcyclist hits one, well just think about it. They work most of the time, but there are times that they don't. When you see a Chevy Tahoe hit one and get shot back into traffic as it rolls over, you question the logic, not that it happens often, but it does happen.

Just my $.02.

Pointed this out almost five years ago. Said it before and I'll say it again, I have seen cars go under/over/through/spun back into the freeway and decapitate and mutilate motorcyclist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org