A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:31:50 pm
Poll
Question: Will you open carry?  (Voting closed: October 31, 2012, 07:41:15 am)
Yes - 2 (9.5%)
No - 12 (57.1%)
Don't have a permit - 6 (28.6%)
Plan on getting a permit and yes - 1 (4.8%)
Plan on getting a permit and no - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Open Carry begins Nov. 1st  (Read 31377 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

Pretty simple: don't carry concealed or open into a posted public facility such as an arena or government building. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:50 am »

So this officer form Bixby seems to believe an officer can only request to see the permit when they are responding to a crime . . . . I don't think that's what the statute says and it concerns me he is planning to educate other officers.  I know you guys read all the detail way more than me, so am I missing something?   Mostly it bugs me because people read this and then think they can argue with an officer about showing their permit . . . then things will get ugly fast. 

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/officer-believes-education-key-open-carry-law/nSjc7/

(Section 1290.8.B) “The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand.”

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

So this officer form Bixby seems to believe an officer can only request to see the permit when they are responding to a crime . . . . I don't think that's what the statute says and it concerns me he is planning to educate other officers.  I know you guys read all the detail way more than me, so am I missing something?   Mostly it bugs me because people read this and then think they can argue with an officer about showing their permit . . . then things will get ugly fast. 

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/officer-believes-education-key-open-carry-law/nSjc7/

(Section 1290.8.B) “The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand.”

He'd best get to reading the statute then...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »

A point my instructor made was that LEO's are some of the worst at understanding the SDA.  Interpretation can vary from one to another.  To me, there's not a whole lot open to interpretation.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

LEO's can request to see your license at any point when they have reason to believe you are carrying, which should be as soon as you have contact with them since you are required to inform them at that point if you are carrying.  I have also found that when you inform them, it's best to inform them by handing them the license, they get kind of jumpy when you tell them you are carrying and then you go for your wallet.  What they cannot do, however, is take the gun for any reason unless you have committed a crime or are suspected of committing a crime.  To date I've only had one officer take my gun, and that was the first time I had contact with one and I told them I had the gun before getting out the license, he held onto it while I got the license then returned it.  Not really legal on his part, but I understand his hesitation at that point in time and it didn't hurt me any to give it up for a second while he verified, besides, it gave me a chance to show off my Desert Eagle (he was impressed). The only other flack I've gotten over it is when I was a witness for an accident and I informed the officer of it and he asked me where my car was.  I'm assuming he was about to tell me to put it in there, at which point I probably would have refused, but since I was parked a mile away he dropped it.  I know a lot of people with PI license will carry open, particularly in the bonds business, and I have considered getting mine because of the increasaed flexibility in carry, especially if I ever go back into bounty hunting.  For now, though, the open carry gives me the option to carry more since it's really a pain to carry a DE concealed.  Or take off my jacket when wearing a shoulder holster if it gets warmer than anticipated. 
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »

Been noticing new "no guns" signs being posted at businesses all over the place.
Is there any place that doesn't have one posted now?
<sarcasm>Thank you new law</sarcasm>.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »

Been noticing new "no guns" signs being posted at businesses all over the place.
Is there any place that doesn't have one posted now?
<sarcasm>Thank you new law</sarcasm>.

Reasor's was going to until quite a few proponents of the law got verbal and told Reasor's management they no longer had their business if they did so.  There are only about 140,000 license holders currently.  I bet just a small percentage of those will open carry.

As I've said for my purpose, all it does is keeps me from worrying if someone can discern if I'm carrying or not, whether I'm printing or my firearm on my belt is exposed when I don't expect it to be.  I have no intention of walking around with my gun on full display.  For me, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »

Cmon.  It's a new way to accessorize.

I'm thinking about holstering a a ray-gun just to screw with people.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »

Cmon.  It's a new way to accessorize.

I'm thinking about holstering a a ray-gun just to screw with people.

First two are just pimp guns.

Ray gun might be fun - I like the one the guys had in Men in Black.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 11:41:57 am »

Editorial

Oklahomans Packing Heat

Published: November 2, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/opinion/oklahomans-unconceal-their-loaded-handguns.html?nl=todaysheadlines&adxnnl=1&emc=edit_th_20121103&adxnnlx=1351961271-TDQhxfkU9N5jHj1YypG0jQ&_r=0
Two dozen men with guns entered an Oklahoma City diner promptly at midnight on Wednesday, intent on inaugurating a pernicious new law allowing the state’s 142,000 citizens with concealed-handgun licenses to begin wearing their loaded weapons publicly. “I just feel more secure and safe,” Joe Wood, an aircraft mechanic, told The Oklahoman newspaper, his Taurus PT145 pistol ready for action against any sudden attack by the eggs and burgers.

Other Oklahomans’ sense of security and safety was not on the midnight menu, though law enforcement officials made their objections clear when “open carry” was signed into law in May by Gov. Mary Fallin, a Republican. A previous version was vetoed in 2010 by Gov. Brad Henry, a Democrat, over such questions as how to sort out licit gun wielders from perpetrators at a crime scene.

Statehouse proponents, ever obeisant to the gun lobby, contend that anyone with a handgun license has to pass a strict state check of criminal and mental health records. The dangerous loophole here is that Oklahoma is grossly delinquent in such oversight, submitting fewer than four cases last year to the federal mental health watch list.

Oklahoma is the place where “going postal” became an unfortunate American cliché a generation ago after 14 co-workers were shot dead by a postal worker who then killed himself. It is the 15th state to legalize open carry on the fatuous promise that public safety will be enhanced. The only obvious purpose is to allow macho gun enthusiasts — not true sportsmen — to display the intimidating power of the gun before the rest of the public, as was the case two years ago when protesters showed up at political gatherings with holstered weapons.

Business owners are in a muddle over whether to exercise their right under the new law to put up polite “no guns allowed” signs for the sake of the family crowd, or to allow guns at the table, plain as salt and pepper shakers. The law proclaims that inebriated people must never strap on their guns. But even the owner of the diner where open carry was inaugurated wonders about that one. “What it is that scares me is Fridays, Saturdays, the bar crowd — people come sometimes drunk,” Renee Masoudy, the owner, said.

You do realize that this type of publicity inhibits economic base expansion....
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »

You do realize that this type of publicity inhibits economic base expansion....

How about the other 44 states that allow it?

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

How about the other 44 states that allow it?

44? 14 maybe.... I don't care about them....they're not lacking in education, health and general population welfare.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 12:59:52 pm »

44? 14 maybe.... I don't care about them....they're not lacking in education, health and general population welfare.

44...try again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »

21 people made a statement by 'voting'.  It is very likely the same who post on this forum.  I know there are others reading, but not posting.  I would guess we are bullying the rest of them out of the way - or offending them out of the way....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 02:11:18 pm »

Here's a puzzle:
A man visiting his doctor at St. John Medical Center had a derringer that fell out of his jacket and discharge.
TPD confiscates his CC permit with the intent of having OSBI revoke it, ostensibly on the grounds that the hospital has signs forbidding guns.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Gun-discharges-at-St-John-Medical-Center/cLbsZNYGsEq6JhdVtN5eAQ.cspx

But the law doesnt forbid carrying in a non-government building just because they have signs posted.  My understanding is they can ask you to leave, and file a trespassing complaint if you dont.
Is there more to this, or did TPD jump the gun (so to speak)?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org