A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:36:37 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Lobby or How I Chose God Over Country  (Read 102925 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

OKC-Based Hobby Lobby Fights Health Care Mandate On Morning-After Pill

http://www.newson6.com/story/19524320/hobby-lobby-fights-health-care-mandate-for-morning-after-pill

OKLAHOMA CITY - Christian-oriented Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. has filed a federal lawsuit over a mandate in the health reform law that requires employers to provide coverage for the morning-after pill.
The Oklahoma City-based chain sued Wednesday in federal court, claiming the government is forcing the business owners to "violate their own faith."

The business says it could be fined more than $1 million a day for not complying with the law.

Hobby Lobby calls itself a "biblically founded business" that is closed on Sundays.

Ok, based on this theory they could quit paying taxes too. And, if corporations are people, there's a chance in hell here...

I say, boycott Hobby Lobby for being unAmerican. And I have supported the Greens ....up to this point.

edit: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/09/12/835861/craft-store-sues-contraception/ better journalism for those that care about the poor...not like these Christian corporatists.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:21:59 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »

They have chosen to play in the secular sandbox of retail business.  That might apply if they were a church.  They aren't.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:44 am »

When did birth control become a Constitutional right to be paid for by one's employer?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:59 am »

When did birth control become a Constitutional right to be paid for by one's employer?

It remains a choice..... that's what freedom is about.

You're not a woman. (sometimes)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:49:47 am »

Oklahoma Pastors Deliver Petitions to Hobby Lobby

http://www.ktul.com/story/19655526/okla-pastors-to-deliver-petitions-to-hobby-lobby?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oklahoma City (AP) -

Christian pastors plan to deliver petitions to Hobby Lobby officials in protest of the Oklahoma-based company's lawsuit challenging health care guidelines that require the coverage of the morning-after pill.

The pastors plan to deliver the petitions Thursday to the Oklahoma City headquarters of the arts and crafts chain. More than 80,000 people signed petitions launched by the national organizations Faithful America and UltraViolet.

Earlier this month, Hobby Lobby filed a federal lawsuit challenging a mandate in the nation's health care overhaul law that requires employers to provide coverage for the morning-after pill and similar drugs.

Faithful America's petition urges Hobby Lobby officials not to use their Christian beliefs to deny women access to birth control. Petition signers vow not to shop at Hobby Lobby until the lawsuit is dropped.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »

Senators Seek to File Brief in Hobby Lobby Suit

http://kwgs.com/post/senators-seek-file-brief-hobby-lobby-suit

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — More than a dozen Republican members of Congress hope to file a friend-of-the-court brief in Hobby Lobby Stores Inc.'s lawsuit that challenges the federal government's requirement that health insurance cover the morning-after pill.

The group submitted a request Thursday to file briefs in support of Hobby Lobby's lawsuit. The Oklahoma City-based arts and crafts chain says a provision in the health care reform law that requires the coverage of birth control violates the company founders' deeply held Christian beliefs.

Those who signed on to the request include Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell, Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe and Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch.

The court filing says the brief would explain how Hobby Lobby is protected under the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

A judge has not yet ruled on the request.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:04 am »

Judge Rejects GOP Request in Hobby Lobby Lawsuit

http://kwgs.com/post/judge-rejects-gop-request-hobby-lobby-lawsuit

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A federal judge won't allow several Republican members of Congress to file a brief in favor of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.'s lawsuit challenging a provision in the federal health care law requiring insurance coverage of the morning-after pill.

U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton denied a request Monday from more than a dozen Republicans who hoped to file a friend-of-the-court brief in support of Hobby Lobby's lawsuit against the federal government.

Heaton wrote that the group's interests "coincide wholly" with Hobby Lobby, which argues that covering the morning-after pill violates the Christian beliefs of the company's founders.

Those who signed on to the request included Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell, Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe and Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:17:31 am »

Overtime and minimum wage are not constitutional rights, and neither is Obamacare.  For that matter protection from  hiring discrimination is not a constitutional right.  Workplace safety.  Sexual harassment.  Employers not making fabricated with holdings or paying with company store credits...  none of that is a constitutional right.

Challenging the mandate on religious grounds and as an unconstitutional extension of governmental powers was fine.  Legit legal questions.  Which the Court heard and ruled on.  But this is taking religious freedom way, way too far.  The issue is not whether government should mandate certain health coverage.

The argument boils down to:  i believe in X.  I own business Y.  The government cannot enforce laws against Y because it violates my religious belief X.

Can a Jewish owned for-profit then refuse to hire Muslims or serve women on their periods?  Can a mormom owned business refuse service to Indians because they believe they are a cursed race? What about a Kosher packing plant refusing inspectors on religious grounds? 

Sorry, a for-profit business has to comply with the law regardless of the owners religious beliefs.  Otherwise every corporation would be owned by a shell with the most profitably advantageous religious beliefs. I know we have a legal fiction of businesses being people... but now legal entities for profit have religious beliefs? 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40:54 am »

Overtime and minimum wage are not constitutional rights, and neither is Obamacare.  For that matter protection from  hiring discrimination is not a constitutional right.  Workplace safety.  Sexual harassment.  Employers not making fabricated with holdings or paying with company store credits...  none of that is a constitutional right.

Challenging the mandate on religious grounds and as an unconstitutional extension of governmental powers was fine.  Legit legal questions.  Which the Court heard and ruled on.  But this is taking religious freedom way, way too far.  The issue is not whether government should mandate certain health coverage.

The argument boils down to:  i believe in X.  I own business Y.  The government cannot enforce laws against Y because it violates my religious belief X.

Can a Jewish owned for-profit then refuse to hire Muslims or serve women on their periods?  Can a mormom owned business refuse service to Indians because they believe they are a cursed race? What about a Kosher packing plant refusing inspectors on religious grounds? 

Sorry, a for-profit business has to comply with the law regardless of the owners religious beliefs.  Otherwise every corporation would be owned by a shell with the most profitably advantageous religious beliefs. I know we have a legal fiction of businesses being people... but now legal entities for profit have religious beliefs? 
and this is why we need a like button in here
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »

Unless that enterprise is owned by an Indian tribe then they can discriminate all they want in their hiring practices.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

US urges court to deny Hobby Lobby lawsuit request

http://kwgs.com/post/us-urges-court-deny-hobby-lobby-lawsuit-request

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The federal government is urging a judge to deny a request by Hobby Lobby Stores to block enforcement of the new health care law's requirement that employers provide coverage for the morning-after pill and similar drugs.

Last month, Hobby Lobby filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Oklahoma City that alleges the mandate is unconstitutional. The company seeks an injunction to prohibit it from being enforced, claiming that the mandate will force the Oklahoma City-based chain's owners to violate deeply held religious beliefs under threat of heavy fines.

In its response, government attorneys say the arts and crafts supply company cannot claim to exercise religion in an effort to avoid laws designed to regulate commercial activity.

A hearing is set on Nov. 1 before U.S District Judge Joe Heaton.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »

Oklahoma City Judge Resets Hearing for Hobby Lobby Arguing Health Care Law

http://www.ktul.com/story/19973377/okla-hearing-set-in-hobby-lobby-health-care-claim

An Oklahoma City judge listened to both sides Thursday in the case involving Hobby Lobby who wants to block enforcement of part of a new health care law, which would require them to cover insurance costs for the morning-after pill and the week-after pill.

According to our sister station in OKC, while there was no decision today the judge will look over both sides arguments and make a decision soon. He set no time frame for his decision.

Lawyers for the Oklahoma-based Hobby Lobby Stores say the federal law is unconstitutional and violates the company's owners' religious beliefs by forcing them to fund the pills, which they say effectively cause an abortion. The company says failure to provide such insurance could lead to fines of up to $1.3 million a day.

Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner also pledged his support for Hobby Lobby's refusal of the provision.

"My firm belief is that employers should not be required to provide coverage for items that they object to based on religious positions," said Doak. "This is regardless of being a for-profit, secular corporation or being a privately-owned business or association."

Commissioner Doak has been a fierce opponent of the Affordable Care Act in its entirety since its inception.

The U.S. District Court in Oklahoma City is scheduled to hear the company's arguments in favor of an injunction Thursday.

The government says Hobby Lobby is a secular employer that by definition does not exercise religion.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:43:38 pm »

Judge Denies Hobby Lobby Morning-After Pill Suit

KOTV.com

A federal judge has rejected a request by Hobby Lobby Stores to block part of the new federal health care law that requires it to provide the morning-after and week-after birth control pills.

U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton handed down the ruling Monday in U.S. District Court.
The Oklahoma City-based arts and craft supply company sued the government in September and asked for an injunction preventing enforcement of portions of the law. Its Christian owners say they believe use of morning-after and week-after birth control pills are tantamount to abortion because they prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in a woman's womb.

But in a 28-page decision, Heaton ruled that Hobby Lobby is a secular company and its owners have not shown that the regulations would burden their religious beliefs.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:31 pm »

Judge Denies Hobby Lobby Morning-After Pill Suit
KOTV.com

One option would be to shut down Hobby Lobby.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »

One option would be to shut down Hobby Lobby.

Well yes, that would be one option.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org