A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:09 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace Clothing Building/Old Arby's  (Read 108490 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »

I've heard a rumor (unsubstantiated) that the Tulsa World is planning to demolish the downtown Arby's building (324 S Main) to avoid paying taxes and downtown improvement district fees.  

Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Obviously, the TW does not have a good track record on preserving historic buildings.  And I would argue that they have caused more damage than good to downtown.

I don't want to spread a false rumor.  However, I also don't want to be caught off-guard by another weekend demolition of a historic building downtown.

So, does anyone have any actual knowledge out there?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:06:11 am by cannon_fodder » Logged
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:39 pm »

I've heard this rumor too, and it really bothers me. For one, it's a decent (not great) looking building that adds to the urban, dense feel of main street. What worries me the most though is that I think it would just become another parking lot.

I would be perfectly okay if they were tearing this bring down to build something else. But if it's a parking lot or garage, then I hope not.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

Since they tore down two other buildings and turned them into parking lots with the siting Mayor and a couple of thousand other people opposing it, if they want to, they'll do it.

The lack of trying to do ANYTHING with the upper floors is somewhat of an indicator.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:30:27 pm »

That's actually a great looking building imo.  It seems to be in decent shape as well.  I can't imagine someone thinking of tearing it down. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »

That's actually a great looking building imo.  It seems to be in decent shape as well.  I can't imagine someone thinking of tearing it down. 

That hasn't seem to stop many in the past. Sad, isn't it?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »

This evening has been the first in a while that I have actually been home early (before 9 or 10 pm) from working on the Art Deco Museum.  Been going there early in the mornings, Saturdays and Sundays for quite a while now, spending a lot of my own money (while not working my real job and thus not getting paid)... all while to try and create something positive for the city and downtown.  I know a lot of other people who are also working hard and risking money, time and effort to try and make a go of it downtown as well.  So I can't help but think, Why isn't the TW, who has a LOT more resources than little ol me, doing something with this building?  Why aren't they coming up with creative ideas to do something with it?  Why aren't they allowing others (YP start-ups and other creative types), to do something in the building? etc.  Imo, whats good for the city and others is good for me and my business and any other business potential or ideas I have in the future.  They have to know it would be good for them if they DO something positive with the building.  But I suppose that what is required is a modicum of time and creative thought in order to think slightly outside the "usual business model" box that they are used to and thus those potential ideas are simply unseen, unknowable quantities that never get a chance. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:12:13 pm »

Perhaps we need to make a big deal out of the fact that TW isn’t a good neighbor or corporate citizen.  Especially if they are knocking it down to lower their ballpark assessment as has been alleged.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »

Perhaps we need to make a big deal out of the fact that TW isn’t a good neighbor or corporate citizen.  Especially if they are knocking it down to lower their ballpark assessment as has been alleged.

Especially since they advocated for the ballpark to begin with, if I'm not mistaken.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »

From Google Street View, it would be a shame to tear it down.  Anyone know the inside condition?  What would it take to bring it up to code.......

No, I'm not in the market for a building.  I'm just curious about the financial decisions in a case like this.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »

No, I'm not in the market for a building.  I'm just curious about the financial decisions in a case like this.

I can't answer your question but I do know they are not interested in leasing the space. Well I should say they have not been interested in the last 6ish months.

On an unrelated note that Arbys should have the normal hours instead of the shorter ones. With a little promotion I am sure it would be a good move.

Thank you,
Robert Town
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:52 pm »

Raise the assessment and they can't afford to make it a parking lot. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 11:09:33 pm »

Raise the assessment and they can't afford to make it a parking lot. Wink

I think you have that backwards.  Isn't the assessment based on square footage?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:52:17 pm »

I think you have that backwards.  Isn't the assessment based on square footage?

Ok, tax the value of the land itself enough and they can't afford to make it a parking lot.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:44:52 am »

Ok, tax the value of the land itself enough and they can't afford to make it a parking lot.

Now you are going to hurt little guy development too.

There needs to be a way to discourage surface parking but as long as people are willing to pay whatever it takes to park, it will be difficult.  It may be time for......... government regulation/zoning to prohibit new surface parking.  I would prefer a financial incentive but I just don't see it working.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 06:19:51 am »

No more tear downs. This seriously pisses me off.  Angry Angry Angry

One step forward and two steps back. By the time the Brady is fully infilled there won't be any buildings left in the CBD.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org