A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Public Schools Spending  (Read 283292 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

I could swear I've seen them both together on some show or another promoting their philosophy. I have been known to be wrong on occasion, though. Wink

Neil himself has described himself as 'a left-leaning libertarian', which is how I align somewhat.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »

So speaking of public school spending, I saw an article last night noting that the birth rates for whites has fallen below that of the "minorities." It occurs to me that we may just want to do something about the schools and systems that are leaving many of our poor minority children behind before we end up with another round of flight from the cities.

Also, any of you who have Netflix should consider watching The Pruitt-Igoe myth. It's interesting to see how a declining city, racist policies, idiotic rules, and the refusal to fund maintenance led to the project being such a disaster.

Edited to finish the effin post..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:35:13 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »

So speaking of public school spending, I saw an article last night noting that the birth rates for whites has fallen below that of the "minorities." It occurs to me that we may just want to do something about the schools and systems that are leaving many of our poor minority children behind before we end up with another round of flight from the cities.

Also, any of you who have Netflix should consider watching The Pruitt-Igoe myth. It's interesting to see how a declining city, racist policies, idiotic rules, and the refusal to fund maintenance
I happened to pick up the USA Today with that article on the front page today, still need to read it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »

It's interesting to see how a declining city, racist policies, idiotic rules, and the refusal to fund maintenance led to the project being such a disaster.

Sounds like they studied Oklahoma.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

Second verse, same as the first.

We always seem to be at the business end of a pointy finger with someone saying "shame".

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/budding-scientist/2012/02/01/u-s-state-science-standards-are-mediocre-to-awful/
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »

Wow, we're behind Arkansas. Let that sink in for a minute.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »

Wow, we're behind Arkansas. Let that sink in for a minute.
And Mississippi
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »

Second verse, same as the first.

We always seem to be at the business end of a pointy finger with someone saying "shame".

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/budding-scientist/2012/02/01/u-s-state-science-standards-are-mediocre-to-awful/

Tulsa's quality of life is sinking. This is a huge liability.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #263 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »

Whole lot of blue states at C or worse.  Sort of blows this meme out of the water:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #264 on: November 15, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »

Whole lot of blue states at C or worse.  Sort of blows this meme out of the water:

That's college education.  It still stands.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2013, 11:32:21 am »

Tulsa School Superintendent Seeks Technology Improvements

http://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/tulsa-school-superintendent-seeks-technology-improvements#.UQAdsctFYC0.facebook

Tulsa’s School Superintendent  Keith Ballard says our kids are being left behind. He is reviewing plans for a school bond proposal to address the technology needs of the Tulsa Public Schools district.

Ballard says board members will soon go over the needs in detail.  The proposal could result in a bond issue submitted to voters.

Ballard says, "We're continuing to collect date and to draw up plans that would allow for technology opportunities for our students and I think it's an exciting initiative that we have going."

An advisory group says the Tulsa Public Schools system is out of date.

"My advisory groups are telling us that our kids are being denied the opportunity to learn through technology and that we need to modernize our technology approach," says Ballard.

The board members will hear a proposal at their February 4th meeting.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »

If their solution ends up being buying every kid an iPad, this may he the first time in my life I feel the need to vote against school funding...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:17 pm »

If their solution ends up being buying every kid an iPad, this may he the first time in my life I feel the need to vote against school funding...

I'd support that if they discontinued printed text books.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:23 pm »

I'd support that if they discontinued printed text books.

I don't know. My son has an iPad and we get him his books (not his text books but the reading books he needs for language arts) on his iPad and it works great. No hunting at bookstores, no waiting for Amazon to ship. No book to misplace. It's cheaper and easier. Text books could work too.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »

I don't know. My son has an iPad and we get him his books (not his text books but the reading books he needs for language arts) on his iPad and it works great. No hunting at bookstores, no waiting for Amazon to ship. No book to misplace. It's cheaper and easier. Text books could work too.

I think we're on the same side.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org