A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:37:39 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ODOT proposes retrofitting Creek Turnpike and Memorial Dr to DDI  (Read 7678 times)
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 12:20:10 am »

Two miles west of Memorial is Yale.  The right of way for Yale is wide enough for 4 lanes but the rich folks there don't want a bridge over the river.

Seems Tulsa could use a north-south express route between Riverside and Sheridan --- Could Yale be done similar to Metcalf in KC/Overland Park.  Fewer big intersection stops with service road business and side street access on each side of Yale --- antiquated?   15th to 81st  OR  31st to 81st any good?       
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 12:22:56 am »

ADOT built a Diverging Diamond Interchange that opened last year. Made a huge difference in the traffic flow from the old roundabouts that were there. The roundabouts were built 20 years ago but were quickly overloaded in just a few years.

https://azdot.gov/projects/central-district-projects/i-17-ti-reconstruction-happy-valley-rd-and-pinnacle-peak-rd/happy-valley-rd

What do we have at the I-44, U.S. 75 interchange just west of the river? 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 07:54:56 am »

Those are different. Here is the one at Lindsey & I-35

https://goo.gl/maps/o1dmCkxU9TGoqt1p6

I-17 through Phoenix has a lot of those types of interchanges because they can fit it smaller areas.

I-17 & Northern

https://goo.gl/maps/1wHZuo7AJvhfWkAfA

That type of intersection is known as an SPUI (Single Point Urban Interchange)

That type of intersection is good for newly designed bridges or updated bridges, as the requirement for a large bridge deck comes into play.  Using the DDI in this instance makes sense because little interchange reconfiguration is required compared to what might be needed for an SPUI.  Since the exit here exits at grade (where the expressway crosses over the arterial) it would take too much work to convert that into an SPUI.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:00:24 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 12:02:01 pm »

The DDI seems to be the best solution for the Creek Turnpike/Memorial Dr. interchange. The reconstruction will take a little while, but the end result will be worth it. As others have pointed out the bigger problem is north and south of it. I don't know what would fix that. My opinion, rip out those little center median strips, make 3 lanes of traffic each direction and put a continuous center turn lane down the middle.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 03:11:26 pm »

The DDI seems to be the best solution for the Creek Turnpike/Memorial Dr. interchange. The reconstruction will take a little while, but the end result will be worth it. As others have pointed out the bigger problem is north and south of it. I don't know what would fix that. My opinion, rip out those little center median strips, make 3 lanes of traffic each direction and put a continuous center turn lane down the middle.

Memorial is 3 lanes in each direction from just south of the Creek to 111th.  The abrupt end southbound at 111th where the inside lane becomes a left turn only lane causes some interesting traffic dynamics.  There should be some better signage to indicate the left turn only.  Longer left turn lanes for northbound traffic at 111th, 101st, the Creek and at 91st would help since the present ones fill up and block through traffic.  I don't think there is enough room for another lane under the Creek. 
https://goo.gl/maps/GCjS6xeB7jaAsZiEA  Go to street view to look under the bridges.  I can't get Google Maps to share a link in street view.

A continuous center turn lane would be a mistake, in my opinion.  It would invite drivers in both directions to take the center lane well before their turn with predictable standoffs.  Also, limiting the number of places to turn left across 3 lanes of traffic without a traffic light is a good thing.  We don't need any more traffic lights along this stretch.  Next time you're here, stop by this area most any time during daylight hours to see the crazy things drivers do in this area.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 04:22:08 pm »

Memorial is 3 lanes in each direction from just south of the Creek to 111th.  The abrupt end southbound at 111th where the inside lane becomes a left turn only lane causes some interesting traffic dynamics.  There should be some better signage to indicate the left turn only.  Longer left turn lanes for northbound traffic at 111th, 101st, the Creek and at 91st would help since the present ones fill up and block through traffic.  I don't think there is enough room for another lane under the Creek.  
https://goo.gl/maps/GCjS6xeB7jaAsZiEA  Go to street view to look under the bridges.  I can't get Google Maps to share a link in street view.

A continuous center turn lane would be a mistake, in my opinion.  It would invite drivers in both directions to take the center lane well before their turn with predictable standoffs.  Also, limiting the number of places to turn left across 3 lanes of traffic without a traffic light is a good thing.  We don't need any more traffic lights along this stretch.  Next time you're here, stop by this area most any time during daylight hours to see the crazy things drivers do in this area.

I looked at the street view where Memorial goes under the Creek after reading about the DDI. I was thinking more of from the Creek south for the center turn lane, but yeah I get trying to teach Tulsa drivers something new. I'm just so used to the center turn lane from living out here for so long.

I've actually been back three times, Nov '17/Nov '19 and March '20 was the most recent and have driven out in that area. I have a nephew that lives at roughly 151st and Yale in McMansionville. They can't understand why I stay downtown instead of with them or in that area. Last trip I went to watch his son play in a baseball tourney out at Indian Springs Baseball complex. After one trip down Memorial I started taking the Beeline out to 151st and then over to Yale.

I actually drove from Phoenix to Tulsa and back in March of '20 and was reminded of how people drive the minute I crossed from Texas into Oklahoma on I-40.

If you really want to confuse people, make a street six lanes wide, two going south, three going north with a center turn lane in between. Now, make the center turn lane a reverse lane during rush hour.

https://goo.gl/maps/5BTHg2N4tx116XfQ8
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:42:19 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 10:00:40 am »

Is this just horrible reporting by someone that has no clue about the info they've been given or is this accurate? They will run Memorial over the top of the Creek?

So ODOT is proposing a new type of interchange: the diverging diamond.

It'll mean Memorial will go over the Creek Turnpike, and drivers will cross over to the other lane before crossing back to the right side, with stoplights to direct traffic. The idea is to eliminate left turns to make people safer.

https://www.newson6.com/story/60ec9650c67a1e0bee9df184/diverging-diamond-interchange-proposed-for-creek-turnpike-memorial-drive-intersection

Found my answer, Kristen Weaver didn't read the info from ODOT

ODOT proposes to construct a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) at Memorial Drive (US-64) and the Creek Turnpike (US-64/US-169).  This innovative interchange configuration enhances the operation of a traditional diamond by moving the arterial street traffic to the opposite side of the roadway at the on- and off-ramps. See More Information on Diverging Diamonds, for general information on this type of interchange.

For the Memorial Drive and Creek Turnpike interchange, ODOT wanted to improve the congestion without affecting adjacent properties.  The proposed DDI at this location will be a “retrofit” meaning it will be constructed within the existing interchange footprint.  The existing bridge on the Creek Turnpike over Memorial Drive will remain in place, and no additional right-of-way will be purchased.  The adjacent multi-use trail and current sidewalk connectivity will be enhanced by providing signalized crosswalks throughout the interchange.
You can view details of the design on the Interactive map. More information is provided below.

https://us64us169.transportationplanroom.com/what-is-being-built
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:14:20 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 12:46:02 pm »

Is this just horrible reporting by someone that has no clue about the info they've been given or is this accurate? They will run Memorial over the top of the Creek?

https://www.newson6.com/story/60ec9650c67a1e0bee9df184/diverging-diamond-interchange-proposed-for-creek-turnpike-memorial-drive-intersection

Found my answer, Kristen Weaver didn't read the info from ODOT

https://us64us169.transportationplanroom.com/what-is-being-built

She probably got confused by the illustrations which would appear to have Memorial going over the Creek.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2021, 02:21:51 pm »

She probably got confused by the illustrations which would appear to have Memorial going over the Creek.

Kind of figured that. I have to remember that news stories and common sense don't always go together.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 01:54:53 pm »

Someone mentioned the original highway plan for Tulsa and I found a map of Oklahoma from 1978 that shows the proposed routes at that time. I'll see if I can get a better scan of it later.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 04:40:23 pm »

Those are different. Here is the one at Lindsey & I-35

https://goo.gl/maps/o1dmCkxU9TGoqt1p6

I-17 through Phoenix has a lot of those types of interchanges because they can fit it smaller areas.

I-17 & Northern

https://goo.gl/maps/1wHZuo7AJvhfWkAfA

There is something that has the "look and feel" of DDI in St Louis Area, I-270 and Dorsett Road.  Whatever it is, it is brilliant for traffic flow!  Long overdue!!

And since it is such a great idea, OK will probably not do it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 08:19:21 pm »

Someone mentioned the original highway plan for Tulsa and I found a map of Oklahoma from 1978 that shows the proposed routes at that time. I'll see if I can get a better scan of it later.

I remember exiting I-44 at Memorial when our family moved here in 1971. We were a caravan of 3 cars, 2 pulling trailers, with walkie-talkie communications.  On the way to 111th, I asked dad if we were still in Oklahoma. :-)

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 10:06:52 am »

I drove thru one a couple times last week in Asheville and it worked well but was seriously strange the first time thru.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:56 am »

Kind of figured that. I have to remember that news stories and common sense don't always go together.

With print media having immediate video on their websites, TV news shows are becoming less relevant.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org