A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:32:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767272 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #660 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:39 am »

I drove by there today. Hard to envision how a sidewalk would look there. I am also not sure I want any more stops/slow downs on Riverside.

You need to get into the urban mindset.  A stoplight at every intersection.  Kind of like Memorial down here by us.

Grin

davideinstein
« Reply #661 on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:50 am »

I drove by there today. Hard to envision how a sidewalk would look there. I am also not sure I want any more stops/slow downs on Riverside.

Highway 75 is an option.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #662 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:57 am »

You need to get into the urban mindset.  A stoplight at every intersection.  Kind of like Memorial down here by us.

Grin

There is definitely an undercurrent to the whole discussion where a lot of people simply don't want to give up Riverside as a de-facto highway to downtown.  But there is no getting around it, if the pedestrian (or generally non-auto) traffic along Riverside is to safely increase, the cars will have to slow down.  It wouldn't take a light at every corner, but a couple of well-placed ones timed at, say, 35 mph would fix most of the issue.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #663 on: December 03, 2014, 11:10:34 am »

There is definitely an undercurrent to the whole discussion where a lot of people simply don't want to give up Riverside as a de-facto highway to downtown.  But there is no getting around it, if the pedestrian (or generally non-auto) traffic along Riverside is to safely increase, the cars will have to slow down.  It wouldn't take a light at every corner, but a couple of well-placed ones timed at, say, 35 mph would fix most of the issue.

As it is now, Riverside has a light at every intersection with a major arterial between 101st & 15th with the exception of 21st since there are merge on/off lanes there.  One more stoplight there wouldn’t really be a hardship for most commuters.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #664 on: December 03, 2014, 10:55:16 pm »

Highway 75 is an option.

No, its not an option. It's another route that is in perpetual road construction hell. My beef is with why we have to keep messing with what was working just fine. It was such a nice road to cruise down.

But let's add another stop light (then another, etc.), and another "venue", and hey, why not a car dealership just north of 71st so we turn Riverside into freakin Memorial Ave. Real convenient for commuters that work downtown.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2014, 10:59:45 pm »

Grin

Maybe that is why I would like one, just one, arterial to be NOT like every other one. So now you turn Riverside into a road navigating around a playground.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #666 on: December 04, 2014, 03:52:18 am »

Just curious, why is it that most major cities have sidewalks that are next to major thoroughfares that have speed limits at 40 to 45 mph and have a distance of 8' between the curb and privacy walls for homes or open space, don't have the carnage that everyone is afraid of? Maybe they should think of controlling the car traffic along Riverside Drive with the traffic lights to keep the speed at 35mph, much like three main arterials in Phoenix, 7th street, Central Ave, and 7th Ave, were you have four lanes of traffic with a center turn lane, that during the morning there is "No Left Turn" going into town, and in the evening, there is "No Left Turn" going out of town. It works quite well, and if you hit it right (not hard to do) you can drive 7 miles without stopping.

I believe that "A Gathering Place" is a great thing for Tulsa, but there is some common sense ideas for traffic control, and pedestrian safety that it seems that no one has seen on all of the trips to other cities for ideas.

By the way, Tempe Arizona is looking at putting in a street car system, and at the moment the cost is $200 million dollars for 3 miles of street car.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/letters/2014/12/02/tempe-streetcar-buses/19803493/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/28/tempe-streetcar-track-cost-million/19640929/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:53:50 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #667 on: December 04, 2014, 08:20:49 am »

Wonder what His Honor thinks about the sidewalk at Denver and Riverside? It sits right on the curb, no buffer and is highly utilized by pedestrians crossing to the park and commuters racing in and out of downtown and has been this way for more than 20 years.

I have never heard of a car jumping onto the sidewalk there.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #668 on: December 04, 2014, 08:42:38 am »

Wonder what His Honor thinks about the sidewalk at Denver and Riverside? It sits right on the curb, no buffer and is highly utilized by pedestrians crossing to the park and commuters racing in and out of downtown and has been this way for more than 20 years.

I have never heard of a car jumping onto the sidewalk there.

Must be because there is no water fountain.

Grin

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #669 on: December 04, 2014, 12:22:23 pm »

But let's add another stop light (then another, etc.), and another "venue", and hey, why not a car dealership just north of 71st so we turn Riverside into freakin Memorial Ave. Real convenient for commuters that work downtown.

Is that what's being built North of Luby's?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #670 on: December 04, 2014, 01:39:22 pm »

No, its not an option. It's another route that is in perpetual road construction hell. My beef is with why we have to keep messing with what was working just fine. It was such a nice road to cruise down.

"My beef is with why we have to keep messing with what was working just fine"

That, in a nutshell, has been the problem with the thinking in Tulsa for the last 20 years and look were we are;  Behind OKC and most other similar cities, at least relative to where Tulsa was in the past.  "Just fine" isn't good enough.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #671 on: December 04, 2014, 02:05:15 pm »

"My beef is with why we have to keep messing with what was working just fine"

That, in a nutshell, has been the problem with the thinking in Tulsa for the last 20 years and look were we are;  Behind OKC and most other similar cities, at least relative to where Tulsa was in the past.  "Just fine" isn't good enough.

guido didn't describe it quite right - it was much more than "just fine".  It was one of those little things that added together with others makes a city an interesting destination point.  Riverside Drive used to be an exceptional, quirky, nice road feature in an otherwise homogenous, boring landscape of roads/traffic lights.  Tulsa screwed the pooch in a BIG way with the unrestrained rush to "development" and ruined it.  OKC has/had nothing like it.  Most cities don't - they sold out to the traffic light mentality decades ago.

It was our version of the Seattle Troll.... but with real value as a transportation lane that actually got people to an fro.   Now,.... well, it's just another road....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #672 on: December 04, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »

Is that what's being built North of Luby's?

Dude, I was kidding. Are you telling me something is going in over there?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #673 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:35 pm »

Dude, I was kidding. Are you telling me something is going in over there?

Something is under construction. Technically 71st and peoria.
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #674 on: December 05, 2014, 08:01:55 am »

It's a Taco Bueno.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/fortherecord/for-the-record/article_095bbec9-21fb-5b7e-bec3-d052b419d237.html
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org