A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:51:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767563 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #540 on: September 28, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »

You don't even read the crap you write.

Thats because he's a jackass
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #541 on: September 28, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »

Thats because he's a jackass

You're insulting jackasses...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #542 on: September 28, 2014, 11:17:50 pm »

I think if we took kimchi's brain and shoved it up a gnats donkey, it would look like a bb in a boxcar.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2014, 06:36:16 am »

I tell ya what after watching that video on post #477 about the features of "The Gathering Place" it seems to me to be more like a State Fair Midway and over glorified Childrens playground. According to newspaper articles and display maps and models about what is going to be there it says: A Lodge, Adventure Playground, Great lawn, Lakeview Lawn, Blair Pond, Childrens Mist Hill, Childrens Swing Hill, Boathouse, Childrens SkyGarden, 4-Seasons Garden, Childrens Skate Bowl, Museum Hill, and a Sports Court. The jogging Trails will run thru it all on the far western side of The Gathering Place I guess they will be left as they are untouched. According to the video on post number 477 they will have climbing walls & climbing nets, paths that circle all around the area and it'll be about 100 acres in size. I would rather have the place less crowded with objects and more green space, more natural space and less of a playground environment. maybe when it's all done it'll look better. JMO.

You realize that the same entity that funded and made the jogging trail improvements that you like so much is the same entity that is mostly funding and driving the AGPFT? There is no reason to be adverse here...none whatever...zilch complaints at all, this will be an amazing asset for Tulsa and you will go and enjoy yourself in spite of yourself. Sit back and watch and wait. Don't take Riverside drive during the construction and if you do, don't F'ing complain because we told you well in advance that Riverside Drive will be closed.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:27 am »

This will be one of the best things to ever happen to this city!

Decades ago there was a roundtable discussion with then mayor Susan Savage and a bunch of young Tulsans to discuss what we needed as a city. I was living in St. Louis but I had family and several friends that participated.  A couple of the young (at least back then  Wink ) participants actually worked for Savage at the time, so they thought they had at least some degree of a sympathetic ear.

The conciseness, was that Tulsa's festivals and organized events were what really brought us together as a city and attracted/retained young folks.  Mayfest, Reggae Fest, Octoberfest, Outdoor Amphitheater events, Tulsa Run, and dozens of others.  The amphitheater was too small for anything meaningful, and concerts in the ballpark were quite dismal.  There was nowhere for a real festival like you found in other cities. 

So, there was this campaign to convince the mayor, and the chamber, that Tulsa needed a festival grounds.   

I think everyone was very excited because the Savage agreed to take the recommendations into consideration, but ended up pushing this idea for a $200 million swim complex instead, that to this day, no one can figure out where that came from.   It really pissed off a lot of my friends and I think it lead to at least one of them resigning.

I moved back to Tulsa in 2000 and learned that Mayor LaFortune was also approached unsuccessfully with this exact concept, as was Taylor, and the Blair property was always the primary option, because it was considered a huge untapped resource.  I remember when the police would tape-off the Blair property for the 4th of July so that people wouldn't use the lawn.  Thousands lined up on it's edge to watch the fireworks.  Must have been quite a site from the air to see thick bands of humanity huddled together on the edge of a huge unused green space. 

This idea has been a long time coming.  It's probably the largest common-sense development this city has ever seen.  Lots of new folks responsible for making it real, but also some of the same.  A few less hairs, and a few more grey hairs on most, but it's finally happening. Of course in my opinion (and others as well) it should have happened before the Ballpark, and BOK, both of which have been great assets.

There are no negatives to this.  The concept is excellent.  The location is perfect. The timing (while perhaps a couple of decades late) is still good.  I can't imagine anyone being against this for any valid reason.  It will have a positive impact on this city beyond any public project we have ever undertaken. 

. . . and what makes it even better is that it's not tied to any politician trying to build a monument to themselves!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »

It's private money that's correct- but I wish they would build something else with it other than a big playground. Maybe when it's done it will have more to it but from what I read about it and from I seen on the video in post 477 it's going to be  a jam-packed place full of bells and whistles- There is an $80 Million dollar expense to build 4 dams too, not to mention the up keep of the area when it's finished... OK, so everyone here is excited about it, I find it hard for me  to get excited about this project that's all.  I just feel the donations could be better spent on something else, or split the funds use half the money  for a Gathering Place Park  with large green areas and less frills- and use the rest of the money for other river projects/improvements like improving the west bank of the river, building a full jogging trail on the west bank down to Jenks, things like that. But that's just me & my thoughts. Huh
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:34:33 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »

It's private money that's correct- but I wish they would build something else with it other than a big playground. Maybe when it's done it will have more to it but from what I read about it and from I seen on the video in post 477 it's going to be  a jam-packed place full of bells and whistles- There is an $80 Million dollar expense to build 4 dams too, not to mention the up keep of the area when it's finished... OK, so everyone here is excited about it, I find it hard for me  to get excited about this project that's all.  I just feel the donations could be better spent on something else, or split the funds use half the money  for a Gathering Place Park  with large green areas and less frills- and use the rest of the money for other river projects/improvements like improving the west bank of the river, building a full jogging trail on the west bank down to Jenks, things like that. But that's just me & my thoughts. Huh

Think harder, Homer.  At least try to use some thought before you spew.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #547 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:49 am »

Didn't anyone watch  that video about the Gathering Place on post #477 a few pages back? The thing is nothing but a playground for kids. The Gathering Place according to the video is broken up into 7 playground sections, there's nets to climb, bridges, a rope bridge, a pirate ship, a tiny picnic area for kids an area of little huts to play it. I would hope for something being  that extensive to be more than an playground. As I said on other posts why not use some of that loot to build a full length jogging trail on the west bank and make other west bank improvements? Why blow it all in one location, and nothing is said about parking. IMO this whole project has not been thought out fully. I hope it all turns out for the best. JMO.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #548 on: September 30, 2014, 11:43:08 am »

Didn't anyone watch  that video about the Gathering Place on post #477 a few pages back? The thing is nothing but a playground for kids. The Gathering Place according to the video is broken up into 7 playground sections, there's nets to climb, bridges, a rope bridge, a pirate ship, a tiny picnic area for kids an area of little huts to play it. I would hope for something being  that extensive to be more than an playground. As I said on other posts why not use some of that loot to build a full length jogging trail on the west bank and make other west bank improvements? Why blow it all in one location, and nothing is said about parking. IMO this whole project has not been thought out fully. I hope it all turns out for the best. JMO.

How many more dumbassed posts until you feel as though you're done?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #549 on: September 30, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »

As I said on other posts why not use some of that loot to build a full length jogging trail on the west bank and make other west bank improvements?

Because some people want a park.  It's really pretty simple.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #550 on: September 30, 2014, 05:38:44 pm »

Didn't anyone watch  that video about the Gathering Place on post #477 a few pages back? The thing is nothing but a playground for kids. The Gathering Place according to the video is broken up into 7 playground sections, there's nets to climb, bridges, a rope bridge, a pirate ship, a tiny picnic area for kids an area of little huts to play it. I would hope for something being  that extensive to be more than an playground. As I said on other posts why not use some of that loot to build a full length jogging trail on the west bank and make other west bank improvements? Why blow it all in one location, and nothing is said about parking. IMO this whole project has not been thought out fully. I hope it all turns out for the best. JMO.

There are 600 parking spots and a pond. The playground is one section. There are many trails, kayaking, dining, and other things as well.

It's like saying space mountain is disneyland.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #551 on: September 30, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

How many more dumbassed posts until you feel as though you're done?

Don't encourage..he's already over 3000...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheAnsonia
Citizen

« Reply #552 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:09 am »

Shave,

I’m borrowing from another thread, But out of curiosity, do you think young professionals like yourself would rather have a large outlet mall on the SW corner of Turkey Mountain or pristine wilderness to explore and enjoy?  Just curious if that’s one of the quality of life issues YP’s are looking for when they decide where to locate.

I'm not Shave - but no question, Turkey Mountain is a really special place. An outlet mall is not.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #553 on: October 01, 2014, 11:30:06 am »

Turkey Mountain is a really special place. An outlet mall is not.

We're not getting any 'ol outlet mall.  We're getting a "high-end" one!

fancy fancy stuff
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #554 on: October 01, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

I'm not Shave - but no question, Turkey Mountain is a really special place. An outlet mall is not.

Thank you for the input!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org