A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:23:11 am
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous, distracted, various, and inimitable  (Read 143811 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2022, 06:44:53 pm »

You can also check out Summit Racing for parts as well. I use them instead of Rock Auto, because while Rock Auto may have a lower price they nail you on shipping. I bought a couple of air filters for a Ford Expedition and the cost of shipping was more than the cost of the filters.

Summit example:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k7238
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2022, 07:07:56 am »

You can also check out Summit Racing for parts as well. I use them instead of Rock Auto, because while Rock Auto may have a lower price they nail you on shipping. I bought a couple of air filters for a Ford Expedition and the cost of shipping was more than the cost of the filters.

Summit example:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k7238

Rockauto is just a drop-shipper so they simply put the warehouses they have access to online and add a few % to the price. This is good and bad - you can get good prices but you also can get returned parts, damaged parts, poor packaging and shipping, wrong parts, wrong brands and so on. We deal with a lot of the same warehouses - we have to QC everything that comes in and reject a lot of stuff - when you order from a drop-shipper this now becomes your problem. Some of the warehouses we deal with actually keep Rockauto logo'd tape to use on boxes they ship out for them so Rockauto can create an illusion about what they are. Summit and JEGS are similar as 90% of the stuff on their site is a drop-ship BUT they aren't as bad as Rockauto primarily because they're more picky on who they deal with and more responsive if things go sideways on an order. Amazon is useful for auto parts too if you have part numbers.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2022, 08:36:24 am »

Rockauto is just a drop-shipper so they simply put the warehouses they have access to online and add a few % to the price. This is good and bad - you can get good prices but you also can get returned parts, damaged parts, poor packaging and shipping, wrong parts, wrong brands and so on. We deal with a lot of the same warehouses - we have to QC everything that comes in and reject a lot of stuff - when you order from a drop-shipper this now becomes your problem. Some of the warehouses we deal with actually keep Rockauto logo'd tape to use on boxes they ship out for them so Rockauto can create an illusion about what they are. Summit and JEGS are similar as 90% of the stuff on their site is a drop-ship BUT they aren't as bad as Rockauto primarily because they're more picky on who they deal with and more responsive if things go sideways on an order. Amazon is useful for auto parts too if you have part numbers.

Summit and JEGS are really good. Most people think of them as just hot rod parts, but I have found things from them quite often for regular vehicles. The other thing I like them for is specialty tools that I would never buy from Harbor Freight. Every now and then if I happen to be in the garage and UPS shows up with something from either Summit or JEGS and I'm working on something on the Miata they give me a funny look thinking that I had a hot rod and not a sports car.

Amazon has been pretty good as well. I have purchased a starter and an alternator there and the thing I liked was I didn't have to have a core to return and I found a shop here to rebuild the old ones and then put them on the shelf so if I have a problem again I can do a quick change and not have to chase parts.

Growing up in Tulsa I miss the days of Fairway Auto Mall, Whitlock and Guy Henshall parts stores because when you went there, the people behind the counter actually knew what the hell they were selling, and a lot of them could cross reference things without looking it up.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2022, 01:23:07 pm »

Growing up in Tulsa I miss the days of Fairway Auto Mall, Whitlock and Guy Henshall parts stores because when you went there, the people behind the counter actually knew what the hell they were selling, and a lot of them could cross reference things without looking it up.

There was NAPA store on Memorial between 41st and 51st that was pretty good too.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2022, 08:14:49 pm »

There was NAPA store on Memorial between 41st and 51st that was pretty good too.

I keep forgetting about NAPA. I've used them quite a bit as well because the people there do seem to know what they're doing.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2022, 03:46:56 pm »

Kind of a one note reply to several comments;

O'Reilly and NAPA are probably the two I use most, but I have a long list of warrantee-able parts at most of the local ones.  I do as much of my own work as possible, and have old cars, and family cars, that are always having some kind of little thing go wrong, plus I do a LOT of pre-emptive, preventative maintenance - just keep the headaches to a minimum!  Just wish I had my 61 Beetle again...could support some locals....

Rockauto is oddball place - I was able to find a couple of window regulators a few weeks ago, and even with shipping, save more than half!   Then there was the steering gear that would have cost 25% more with shipping...lol.

Amazon has been stellar for select items, like Cummins.  If local Cummins doesn't have it, can mostly get it on Amzn with free shipping!  Like ALL things, gotta know what you are looking at!

Fairway Auto Mall on 21st was my go to place for quite a while.  IIRC, they were one of the places bought out by O'Reilly's when they first came to town.  My Cutlass file has several Fairway receipts, then transitions to O'Reilly...when they used the large format green receipt.  Then a bunch of small format green receipts...    My Sears Lifetime Warranty on the shocks is toast!  Should have tried to get it in for new shocks before they bellied up!

Harvard Auto Parts was Green Light dealer I went to quite a bit too - have several of theirs for the Cutlass...

So, I have been moaning and groaning a little bit about O'Reilly, but still no truly big problem with them  Went and got the Precision Chassis pitman arm yesterday.  Mevotech.

I do need to get some time to turn attention back to the Cutlass, though.  Last time I started it a couple years ago there was a very loud banging sound from deep inside the engine!   Rod bearing maybe??   Will have to see...  I can and will get the engine running.  And I found a guy, Precision Transmission, in Amarillo who definitely can do a TH-350 correctly, if I mess it up, so those are the only 'problem areas' that I would like to have backup if needed.   Amarillo guy has some great yourube videos if you are into auto mechanic-ing stuff.   It's like an ASMR event for transmission teardown...!

And if anyone ends up with a Dodge and/or Cummins diesel, there are several very good places for parts!   Geno's Garage (TurboDieselRegister, too.)   Thoroughbred Diesel (any diesel pickup), and Cummins online and store in town - Cummins price, but they are helpful.

So my latest project - and I will stop after this, I promise!  Twenty year old Buick 3.8L I just got a couple months ago.  So far, this just reinforces why the entire family stopped buying GM in 1987!   It runs ok, I guess, but as with SO many GM empty promises, it is NOT a Buick!!   If that design clown show they are now wants to know what a Buick is, go find an old 1968 Buick Electra 225.  Drive it around.  Then go hang your head in shame for the wholesale sellout you have become!   Even as complainy as I am about the Grand Marquis, they are still better than the slop GM is slinging around today!  I will drive this for a while, just cause it was cheap enough to put up with for a while.  Direct comparison after hundreds of miles driving so far;  Buick 3.8 liter, V-6;  17 mpg, overall.  As compared to 27 yr old and a 15 yr old, Grand Marquis, 4.6 liter, V-8, that run rings around the smaller, lighter Buick, 19 mpg overall.  And that is SWMBO mileage - I get 2 mpg better always!   Pathetic.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2022, 04:16:26 pm »

Just wish I had my 61 Beetle again...could support some locals....

I was never a fan of the early Beetle's suspension.  Super Beetle was OK. Both were reasonably reliable if the prescribed maintenance was performed.  Americans that treated them like American cars soon found they weren't. I believe the engine valves needed frequent attention.

So my latest project - and I will stop after this, I promise!  Twenty year old Buick 3.8L I just got a couple months ago. ...   Even as complainy as I am about the Grand Marquis, they are still better than the slop GM is slinging around today!  I will drive this for a while, just cause it was cheap enough to put up with for a while.  Direct comparison after hundreds of miles driving so far;  Buick 3.8 liter, V-6;  17 mpg, overall.  As compared to 27 yr old and a 15 yr old, Grand Marquis, 4.6 liter, V-8, that run rings around the smaller, lighter Buick, 19 mpg overall.  And that is SWMBO mileage - I get 2 mpg better always!   Pathetic.

I had a '98 Buick Regal GS with the Supercharged (not Turbocharged) 3.8 L engine.  It was peppy for a '98 and handled OK with the Touring Suspension.  Mixed driving and staying near the speed limit, it usually got mid 20s for gas mileage.  The tranny died at 205K miles in 2015.  I inherited a 2003 Chevy Astro from my mom which I still have.  Electra 225 is a bigger car than I want(ed).   If you like the L O N G wheelbase, there are some 2022s out there.  BMW 7, Audi 8, and Mercedes S.  BMW and Mercedes are both a fraction of an inch longer than the 225.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2022, 04:42:37 am »

I was never a fan of the early Beetle's suspension.  Super Beetle was OK. Both were reasonably reliable if the prescribed maintenance was performed.  Americans that treated them like American cars soon found they weren't. I believe the engine valves needed frequent attention.

The early link pin / swing-axle cars are certainly not the best riding but the short wheelbase doesn't help. Our 57 Beetle putts along fine with it's 36hp engine and isn't an uncomfortable ride all things considered. Daily is a 68 Single Cab - gotta love sitting on the front axle!
I had a '98 Buick Regal GS with the Supercharged (not Turbocharged) 3.8 L engine.  It was peppy for a '98 and handled OK with the Touring Suspension.  Mixed driving and staying near the speed limit, it usually got mid 20s for gas mileage.  The tranny died at 205K miles in 2015.  I inherited a 2003 Chevy Astro from my mom which I still have.  Electra 225 is a bigger car than I want(ed).   If you like the L O N G wheelbase, there are some 2022s out there.  BMW 7, Audi 8, and Mercedes S.  BMW and Mercedes are both a fraction of an inch longer than the 225.

I secretly loved the newer Buicks that were just rebadged Opels. I thought way too long about getting a Regal TourX. Don't tell anyone - I have to keep my street cred up.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2022, 09:14:02 am »

Suspension was HORRIBLE!!!   

The rusted out floor pan didn't help either, especially when trying to cross small creeks in winter.   But mine had GREAT heat!   Just had to learn how to wire those two flaps closed that never worked from the knob inside....

The Buick is '01 Regal.  It's ok so far.  At least I don't have the intake coolant leak....yet!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2022, 10:32:03 am »

The early link pin / swing-axle cars are certainly not the best riding but the short wheelbase doesn't help.

I was a passenger in a non-Super Beetle on a weekend trip with college friends.  The guy driving wasn't doing anything crazy but I was concerned for my safety.  I don't remember the exact excursions from controlled "flight", it was a long time ago.  A few years later, I rode with some friends in a Super Beetle. It was fine.

Our 57 Beetle putts along fine with it's 36hp engine and isn't an uncomfortable ride all things considered. Daily is a 68 Single Cab - gotta love sitting on the front axle!

36 HP is OK for around town on surface streets.  Please stay off the expressway/ramps.  The key to merging into traffic is to be going somewhere near the same speed as traffic.  Too many drivers around here think the Yield sign facing entering traffic means thru traffic will yield to entering traffic.  (I have no idea if that applies to you.)

I secretly loved the newer Buicks that were just rebadged Opels. I thought way too long about getting a Regal TourX.

I used to check out the Buicks at the Tulsa Car Show.  One of the last generations of Regal had the hood slope down so much I couldn't see it past the bottom of the windshield. I am 5' 10".  The last generation of Regals were made in China and Korea.  One, maybe both, on display were hatchbacks.  I was not interested.  Somewhere in those years, Buick tried to revive the GS. I didn't care for the interior styling and they didn't put in a more powerful engine.  Again, not interested.  Buick seems to be selling a fair amount of SUVs.  Not interested.

Don't tell anyone - I have to keep my street cred up.

OK   Grin

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:25 am »

The early link pin / swing-axle cars are certainly not the best riding but the short wheelbase doesn't help. Our 57 Beetle putts along fine with it's 36hp engine and isn't an uncomfortable ride all things considered. Daily is a 68 Single Cab - gotta love sitting on the front axle!
I secretly loved the newer Buicks that were just rebadged Opels. I thought way too long about getting a Regal TourX. Don't tell anyone - I have to keep my street cred up.

36hp? Good lord, does it go up hills?

My car has 328hp.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:36 am »

My car has 328hp.

My Astro has 4.3 L V6 with 190 HP, 250 LB-FT torque.  Old school RPMs.

My nice weather car has 320 HP, 330 LB-FT torque.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #267 on: May 11, 2022, 09:20:07 am »

36hp? Good lord, does it go up hills?

My car has 328hp.

No kill like overkill!

Sad thing is you can't even get close to going like a Tesla Roadster!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2022, 10:33:50 am »

Sad thing is you can't even get close to going like a Tesla Roadster!

With 7375 lb-ft torque and a 0 - 60 time of 1.9 sec, it would be difficult with street legal internal combustion engine vehicle.

However, around 5 sec for 0 - 60 is available for a LOT less than the $200,000 to $250,000 MSRP for the 2022 Tesla Roadster.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2022, 01:02:35 pm »

With 7375 lb-ft torque and a 0 - 60 time of 1.9 sec, it would be difficult with street legal internal combustion engine vehicle.

However, around 5 sec for 0 - 60 is available for a LOT less than the $200,000 to $250,000 MSRP for the 2022 Tesla Roadster.

Yeah....I won't ever be buying any of them.  I don't mind going slow if I can do that for a long, long, time!   

Having said that, my bus (got one) is geared so that I can literally beat ANY production car made in the history of cars for about the first 6-7" off the line!   About 59:1, low-low gear.  Rev it up, drop the clutch and it leaps into action!  For just an instant or two.  Can't do over about 58 mph at the other end, and it is one of those 0-58...eventually...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org