A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:38:21 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Brady Fairfield Inn by Marriott  (Read 56537 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:33 am »

I think its back to the urban/suburban thing in that there are a lot of people wanting the urban lifestyle and thus urban apartments/condos, as in "I can step outside and be within easy, pedestrian friendly, enjoyable, walking distance, of lots of stuff".  

Thats whats hard to find a good selection of.

If your going to live the urban lifestyle and that often includes smaller spaces, you will want the trade off of having the ("sidewalks be your hallways, the downstairs or around the corner coffee shop be your "breakfast nook", the PAC, museums, concert venues, festivals, and nearby theaters be your "home theater/entertainment system",the parks be your yard, the sidewalk cafe's your patio, the local pub or hang out your den, the corner grocer your pantry, your "feet, bike, bus, etc." be your transportation, etc. etc.).  Our downtown is getting there with lots of new amenities (I am looking forward to the new downtown museums), hopefully an uptick in more businesses, still could definitely use more shopping and a movie theater, but yes, we still need more living right in the core to push things forward.

I think we are actually making decent progress on all fronts.  I am glad we are seeing the housing we are seeing for it very well could have been that we saw the new arena come in and a bunch of clubs and restaurants opening,,, and didn't see the housing.  Its slow progress but I think the next couple of years will see our downtown fleshed out enough that it can finally begin to pass as a small, but well rounded, urban enclave.   Our city offers pleeenty of great suburban lifestyle/housing options, but its about time our city became a real city that can offer some great urban lifestyle/housing options as well.      

In many other cities, even small to medium sized ones like Tulsa or OKC, you can to go several different, new, urban neighborhood, areas and look through multiple different apartment/condo buildings.  Here you can go to multiple suburban neighborhoods in several different suburban areas and find new, inexpensive to expensive options in each area.  Here, for urban living, there is a building here, a building there, a remodel here, a new one there, definitely more options than you had before, but still very skimpy shopping compared to a lot of other places and housing type options, and not really enough even in one area to have that "urban neighborhood" feel. Even OKC is much further ahead than we are in that respect. Though having said that I kind of like how Tulsa is developing such that a lot of our downtown urban housing is very much mixed in with and intertwined within the rest of the fabric of downtown.  There isn't a huge chunk of living in one area thats isolated from everything else, which you could say that a lot of OKCs new housing is.  But as we begin to infill more and have more mixed use buildings (like this Fairfield Inn) I think we will actually create a more "NYC on a tiny tiny scale lol" type experience.  We may actually end up being better quality than our friends down the pike, but perfection takes time  Wink    
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:25:59 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:26 pm »

My point wasn't that there aren't any apartments near downtown, only that there aren't enough and very few new apartments.  

Unfortunately, new is rarely affordable/inexpensive. 

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »

what are the < $1200 options downtown?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 12:52:53 pm »

what are the < $1200 options downtown?

Mayo Building 5th Main Street starts at $850
Renaissance starts at $865
Tribune starts at $700
Lincoln Park starts at $750
WestPort starts at $450
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »

Mayo Building 5th Main Street starts at $850
Renaissance starts at $865
Tribune starts at $700
Lincoln Park starts at $750
WestPort starts at $450

Most of those don't include utilities. When I was looking downtown/midtown is was difficult to find a decent place in the $600-700 range. I lucked out in a small, historic (and most importantly-updated and maintained) building for $625+ electric.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:26 pm »

Lots of very nice Garage Apartments in the surrounding neighborhoods in that range (mine included) and plenty of older apartment buildings with wood floors close to downtown in this same price range.

However, the thread drift was: Newer apartments in downtown for less than $1000

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:25 pm »

The Mayo building does include some utilities.  WHen I talked with them a month ago or so, there were only two bedroom units open.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 08:15:01 am »

The Mayo building does include some utilities.  WHen I talked with them a month ago or so, there were only two bedroom units open.

I've heard the 1 bedrooms have a long wait list.
OwenParkPhil
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 09:20:30 am »

I don't understand why more people don't investigate Owen Park.  There's a house on my street (it's on the Northwest corner of West Cameron and North Tacoma) that's got a new roof, new paint, nice looking interior and a decent small yard for 65K.  The payments on the mortgage might be as inexpensive as renting, and you are about two minutes from the Brady District....
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 11:35:40 am »

Well phil, owen park would land one with an 'N' or 'W' between the house number and street name and that just isn't safe.  So saith the honkeys out south. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:34 am »

Well phil, owen park would land one with an 'N' or 'W' between the house number and street name and that just isn't safe.  So saith the honkeys melanin deficient out south. 
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2011, 12:01:51 pm »

Well phil, owen park would land one with an 'N' or 'W' between the house number and street name and that just isn't safe.  So saith the honkeys melanin deficient out south. 

I would ascert that I am melanin deficient, but am most certainly not a honkey.   Smiley

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »

I don't understand why more people don't investigate Owen Park.  There's a house on my street (it's on the Northwest corner of West Cameron and North Tacoma) that's got a new roof, new paint, nice looking interior and a decent small yard for 65K.  The payments on the mortgage might be as inexpensive as renting, and you are about two minutes from the Brady District....

I wouldn't mind it, but there are a lot of people that just are not "house" people.  I have several friends that I couldn't imagine ever living in a house, it would just seem absurd lol.  Again, we are talking about people for whom the urban, condo/apartment, highrise/midrise, no yard, no muss no fuss, is the only conceivable way to go.  Even if the house was free, it would not fit their "norm" or expectations for how they want to live.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacks fan
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 01:39:00 pm »

Well phil, owen park would land one with an 'N' or 'W' between the house number and street name and that just isn't safe.  So saith the honkeys out south Scottsdale wannbe, look down their noses southies

Just saying........
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »

I wouldn't mind it, but there are a lot of people that just are not "house" people.  I have several friends that I couldn't imagine ever living in a house, it would just seem absurd lol.  Again, we are talking about people for whom the urban, condo/apartment, highrise/midrise, no yard, no muss no fuss, is the only conceivable way to go.  Even if the house was free, it would not fit their "norm" or expectations for how they want to live.

As much as I would rather live in a condo or apt, a free house is a free house.  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org