A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:32:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Dangerous Cities for Driving - Yep we're on the list  (Read 14092 times)
GG
Philanthropist

« on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:14 pm »

Here are the 15 cities that ranked the worst:

15. Oklahoma City, Okla.
Population: 551,789
Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 13.41
Total fatalities: 74
Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 13.5

14. Birmingham, Ala.
Population: 228,798
Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 13.55
Total fatalities: 31
Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 15.2

13. Tulsa, Okla.
Population: 385,635
Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 14.00
Total fatalities: 54
Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 18.5

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/15-dangerous-cities-for-driving.html

Trust but verify
TMS
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

Is this any surprise to anyone living and driving in Tulsa?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:55:23 pm »

Is this any surprise to anyone living and driving in Tulsa?

Nope!  We are too polite to use our horns.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »

81st Street eastbound from Riverside is like a racetrack to see who can pass who at the traffic lights because of the merging lanes. In-between lights, they tailgate you as punishment for not letting them pass until the next traffic light.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:12:30 pm »

In-between lights, they tailgate you as punishment for not letting them pass until the next traffic light.

How slow are you driving?

TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:44 pm »

How slow are you driving?
40mph..........good point. That's too slow.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:16 am »

40mph..........good point. That's too slow.

Depends on where you are, which lane you are in, and if it takes you a half mile to get up to that speed.

I have followed traffic which was not racing to the next red traffic light only to have the light turn green then red again.  That won't usually happen downtown where the lights are closely spaced.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:39:09 am »

81st Street eastbound from Riverside is like a racetrack to see who can pass who at the traffic lights because of the merging lanes. In-between lights, they tailgate you as punishment for not letting them pass until the next traffic light.

Where do the lanes merge?  East side of Harvard?
TMS
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:21 am »

That's just it, there are sooo many lane merges, construction, wheel-jarring bumps unexpectedly along the way... this city's street department is just something else!  No wonder drivers are getting impatient with each other.

Oh, I remember the Tulsa World, an editorial a few weeks ago, that said in the city's defense, 90% of the streets in Tulsa were not having any repairs made to them. Now there's a fine example of how you can say anything with statistics.  Sure, 90% of our streets are going without repair, because of the sheer number of neighborhood streets.  But out of all of Tulsa's main arteries (41st, 31st, Utica, Garnett, etc.) what percentage of those are having work done to them, all at the same time (and for a long long time, too).  It's so very frustrating. I just think we as taxpayers deserve so much better.

I had an incident with another city department recently that was, well, it was just literally astonishing, the level of incompetency that was shown. But even more notable is the waste of taxpayer funds it involved. And this is just little ol' me... I wonder how much more incompetency and waste is multiplied all over the city.  Sad.  : (

..just my $0.02 worth

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14:00 pm »

That's just it, there are sooo many lane merges, construction, wheel-jarring bumps unexpectedly along the way... this city's street department is just something else!  No wonder drivers are getting impatient with each other.

Oh, I remember the Tulsa World, an editorial a few weeks ago, that said in the city's defense, 90% of the streets in Tulsa were not having any repairs made to them. Now there's a fine example of how you can say anything with statistics.  Sure, 90% of our streets are going without repair, because of the sheer number of neighborhood streets.  But out of all of Tulsa's main arteries (41st, 31st, Utica, Garnett, etc.) what percentage of those are having work done to them, all at the same time (and for a long long time, too).  It's so very frustrating. I just think we as taxpayers deserve so much better.

I had an incident with another city department recently that was, well, it was just literally astonishing, the level of incompetency that was shown. But even more notable is the waste of taxpayer funds it involved. And this is just little ol' me... I wonder how much more incompetency and waste is multiplied all over the city.  Sad.  : (

..just my $0.02 worth

Did you expect you weren't to be inconvenienced while the city does upgrades to its woefully inadequate infrastructure?  It amuses me.  Usually the very same people complaining about the construction work are those same people who complain about how crappy our roads are.  And while I'm not saying you do this, I know many that do.  Do you think there's not an inconvenience while we wait?  I remember when they were six-laning the BA from I-44 to BA and how much of a pain that was.  When it got finished I remember how people lauded the expressway.  These were likely also the same people who put a pox on the contractors doing the road construction.  Sure, it's a pain, but look what happens in the long run.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:19:39 pm »

We finally beat OKC though. We're 13th, those grandma's are 15!

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:35 pm »

Where do the lanes merge?  East side of Harvard?
Just east of Lewis, IIRC. I thought the speed limit was actually 45 down there, but it's been quite a while since I've been in that particular area.

Edit: No, it's Harvard now. I forgot about the reconstruction between Lewis and Harvard some years back.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:33:16 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:08 am »

Did you expect you weren't to be inconvenienced while the city does upgrades to its woefully inadequate infrastructure?  It amuses me.  Usually the very same people complaining about the construction work are those same people who complain about how crappy our roads are.  And while I'm not saying you do this, I know many that do.  Do you think there's not an inconvenience while we wait?  I remember when they were six-laning the BA from I-44 to BA and how much of a pain that was.  When it got finished I remember how people lauded the expressway.  These were likely also the same people who put a pox on the contractors doing the road construction.  Sure, it's a pain, but look what happens in the long run.
I can't think of any length of time since I've been driving in Tulsa (around 92) that 44 hasn't been under construction.  It's things like that that really give the perception that everything is constantly under construction.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 11:21:53 am »

I can't think of any length of time since I've been driving in Tulsa (around 92) that 44 hasn't been under construction.  It's things like that that really give the perception that everything is constantly under construction.

By '92 I think the BA had been under widening construction for 5 or 7 years.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 01:14:08 pm »

I wonder why so many FL cities made the grade? Most of them are retirement areas for the elderly. It just makes me wonder if advanced age drivers  plays a part in driving safety. Huh

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org