A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:11:26 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5320, Well intentioned but will it do anything?  (Read 13477 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 02:01:52 pm »

Sounds like a strong advocacy of drunk-like driving.  Go, Team!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

Sounds like a strong advocacy of drunk-like driving.  Go, Team!!

"drunk-like" driving.  We should pass some laws against that too!

Used to live up north in the late 80s early 90s.  Watched people drive to work all the time with the newspaper folded on the steering wheel.

People do things that distract them from driving.  It is wrong and their are laws against it.  20 years ago, if you were talking on the phone while driving, or juggling cats, or reading the paper, you could be pulled over and sited for driving while distracted.  Now we want specific laws that allow citation even if the driver does not appear to be distracted.

Then of course we get into a sticky situation because the very law enforcement officer that pulls you over is instantly guilty of the same crime you just committed.  Every time I do a ride-along with TPD I am amazed at my buddy's ability to accelerate through traffic while typing the plate # in on his laptop, calling in the stop on his radio, and reading the computer screen. 

Laptops, two-way communications, and cell-phones are a huge distraction for cops too!  If we pass laws making such distractions illegal to drivers, we also take away the tools necessary for modern law enforcement.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »

Distracted driving should take care of the situation but it doesn't.

Everyone thinks they are masters at multitasking.  They are not.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »

No different than "Don't Lay That Trash On Oklahoma" or "Healthy Kids" or any other discretionary campaign which has come out of the Governor's Mansion in the last 30-40 years.  Each Gov. or their spouse has had some sort of pet PR campaign.  It's what they do.  

I don't think personal wellness is one of the worst messages they could have picked.  Wasn't health care reform supposed to make health care more affordable?  That had all sorts of support.  Best way I know to keep health care expenses in line is a proactive approach.

That said, there are probably better uses for our money and this campaign is pretty sophomoric.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 07:00:07 am »

After three years in Tulsa I have noticed one thing, the additional 50 pounds I put on. This morning was the beginning of my workout to get rid of that 50+... It was not due to a sign on the road with a number, it was due to a mirror on a wall, and a wife that looks 30.

Put a smoking hot chick in front of a 250 pound man, tell him he can have her if he sheds some pounds. I bet that would work better.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:39 am »

No different than "Don't Lay That Trash On Oklahoma"

Dump it in Texas!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:52 am »

After three years in Tulsa I have noticed one thing, the additional 50 pounds I put on. This morning was the beginning of my workout to get rid of that 50+... It was not due to a sign on the road with a number, it was due to a mirror on a wall, and a wife that looks 30.

Put a smoking hot chick in front of a 250 pound man, tell him he can have her if he sheds some pounds. I bet that would work better.

Good luck.

I recently dropped 35 lbs with a treadmill and Weight Watchers.  WW wasn't my choice.  When your wife joins, you join.  I was shocked how well it works.

Oh, and the normal foods Okies eat?  WW really shows you how bad those are and you learn to stay away from them.

However you do it, I wish you well.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:10 am »

Rowing and cycling have worked quite well for me.  I am very kinetic when it comes to exercise, so outdoor exercise works best for me.  I've taken it a step further than most do though by racing quite a bit and doing endurance challenges.  With some goals I've got for this cycling season, it's required a lot of indoor time on my bike training rig this winter.  I've logged around 800 miles in the last five weeks, unfortunately about 600 of those have been in my dining room which now resembles a bike shop and training studio  Wink

One thing which has worked for me as far as sloughing weight and keeping it off effectively aside from 1 to 4 hour workouts is being ultra careful about cutting out processed foods and avoiding preservatives and other additives as much as possible rather than worrying about carbs, protein, or fat intake or strict calorie count.  I am fortunate I'm not a huge sugar craver so that is in my favor somewhat.  I lost 20 pounds quite rapidly last summer when I really started watching that and cooking as many meals at home as possible.

Look at it as a lifestyle change and it's a lot easier.  Look at it as a "diet" or "phase" and it gets a lot harder.  Those two words imply something temporary and some sort of sacrifice or extra hard work.

Best of luck to you.  Certainly, I've gone to the more extreme end, but I've always been competitive and have raced about everything imaginable under the sun so it was only a matter of time before I found something else I could race  Wink if I could go from being an overweight smoker to a somewhat competitive cyclist and rower after the age of 40, I think anyone is capable of it especially considering I was never really a very good athlete to begin with.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:10 am »

Rowing and cycling have worked quite well for me.  I am very kinetic when it comes to exercise, so outdoor exercise works best for me.  I've taken it a step further than most do though by racing quite a bit and doing endurance challenges.  With some goals I've got for this cycling season, it's required a lot of indoor time on my bike training rig this winter.  I've logged around 800 miles in the last five weeks, unfortunately about 600 of those have been in my dining room which now resembles a bike shop and training studio  Wink

One thing which has worked for me as far as sloughing weight and keeping it off effectively aside from 1 to 4 hour workouts is being ultra careful about cutting out processed foods and avoiding preservatives and other additives as much as possible rather than worrying about carbs, protein, or fat intake or strict calorie count.  I am fortunate I'm not a huge sugar craver so that is in my favor somewhat.  I lost 20 pounds quite rapidly last summer when I really started watching that and cooking as many meals at home as possible.

Look at it as a lifestyle change and it's a lot easier.  Look at it as a "diet" or "phase" and it gets a lot harder.  Those two words imply something temporary and some sort of sacrifice or extra hard work.

Best of luck to you.  Certainly, I've gone to the more extreme end, but I've always been competitive and have raced about everything imaginable under the sun so it was only a matter of time before I found something else I could race  Wink if I could go from being an overweight smoker to a somewhat competitive cyclist and rower after the age of 40, I think anyone is capable of it especially considering I was never really a very good athlete to begin with.

Hear hear.  We've started referring to him as "Sweetass" too.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:25 am »

I once went on a 14 day diet.

All I lost was two weeks.

Power is nothing till you use it.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 12:17:44 pm »

Hear hear.  We've started referring to him as "Sweetass" too.

Oops, I thought you were calling him "sweatass". My bad
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:44 pm »

Bike riding is fantastic stuff!  I stopped somewhere along the way and gained 40 lbs., too.  Yuck.

Guess I just need to get back with it.  Tulsa has an incredible riding/walking system available now that wasn't there when I was riding steady.  It is exceptional in the nation - my opinion.  Usual "bike trail" is a stripe of paint at the edge of the road.

Anyone ride Freewheel??  (I did the first 6 before stopping.)  Have several centuries and one century and a half.  Probably couldn't ride 5 miles today.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »

Bike riding is fantastic stuff!  I stopped somewhere along the way and gained 40 lbs., too.  Yuck.

Guess I just need to get back with it.  Tulsa has an incredible riding/walking system available now that wasn't there when I was riding steady.  It is exceptional in the nation - my opinion.  Usual "bike trail" is a stripe of paint at the edge of the road.

Anyone ride Freewheel??  (I did the first 6 before stopping.)  Have several centuries and one century and a half.  Probably couldn't ride 5 miles today.

Freewheel, no.  Maybe some day.  Logistically it's not a great time of year for me to take a whole week off.  I also really don't have much of a desire to ride 500 to 600 miles in a week due to some shoulder issues which become more pronounced on longer rides.  I did something like 6 or 7 centuries last year, two were sub five hour.  On the goal list this year is "The Deuce" at Tulsa Tough.  Back to back centuries in under 10 hours.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

I enjoyed doing the centuries in about 7 or 8 hours.  Too much work to do it any faster.

Freewheel this year is going to be about 450 miles, plus or minus.

It was a lot of fun, with the obligatory major thunderstorm/tornado.  Don't know if the tradition continues today or not.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

I enjoyed doing the centuries in about 7 or 8 hours.  Too much work to do it any faster.

Freewheel this year is going to be about 450 miles, plus or minus.

It was a lot of fun, with the obligatory major thunderstorm/tornado.  Don't know if the tradition continues today or not.

Funny you say that, as they do get pelted just about every year and tornado warnings are a fact of life on it.  I've had several people try to talk me into RAGBRAI which is Iowa's version of FreeWheel.  Starting at the Missouri River and ending at the Mississippi.  More of a party atmosphere and it's about 15,000 cyclists.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org