A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:42:00 am
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351650 times)
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #435 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:35 pm »

That corner will be the epicenter of transit when the 11th St. BRT is installed. I think it would be neat if the abandoned auto shop accross the street was bought by the city and made a sort of transit hub (not a park and ride obviously, not enough room, but something).

Funny story:

https://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-property.php?account=R12025930604700&return=close

I don't know what the City has planned, but they bought it from Videon last October. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #436 on: December 24, 2019, 02:51:40 pm »

Took some pictures of the former Corner Cafe on my way home from work today.  It looks great, IMO.

Agree, it is a huge improvement at that corner.  The 11th St/Rt 66 corridor really needs a streetscape project.  TREES, lighting, sidewalks, etc.  Hopefully the city turns their attention to this area once the Cherry Street streetscape project is finished. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #437 on: December 24, 2019, 03:01:11 pm »

11th street is due to get a rehab with bike lanes and on street parking starting in January I believe.  I wish I could find what its supposed to look like.  Would indeed be nice if the sidewalks were also redone with lights, trees, burying the lines, etc.

Am having a hard time with the neon signage I want to put up on the new building we are working on over by Buck Atoms.  The signage has to be 12' above the sidewalk and at least 15 feet from the lines, and when your building is right up to the sidewalk and there are a bunch of electric lines also over the sidewalk... bit tricky.   But I guess having the lines there on 11th does give the area an old retro feel you don't see in many cities. (many first world cities)  Though we are used to them here and don't even notice them, outsiders do notice and mention it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #438 on: December 26, 2019, 11:16:57 am »

Funny story:

https://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-property.php?account=R12025930604700&return=close

I don't know what the City has planned, but they bought it from Videon last October. 

Haha, I should get paid for my ideas, lol. I hope it is something interesting for sure.

As for streetscaping, I asked the engineer at the Cherry Street rehab meeting about burying the power lines, and it always comes down to cost. He said he would love to do it, but the money just isn't there. My thought was that they are tearing the crap out of the street anyway, and it's one of the busiest pedestrian districts in town, but there was just no appetite for it, he said. If it can't get done there, it's not happening anywhere. Drives me crazy that something so obvious can't get done.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2020, 09:19:37 am »

Street rehabilitation work to begin on Cherry Street on Monday

"Phase one of the $5.7 million Improve Our Tulsa project began in the summer with road work along the eastbound lane of 15th Street from Utica Avenue to Lewis Avenue. Later this month, the eastbound lanes will be reopened so work can begin on the westbound lanes.

The work is expected to be completed by late summer, according to the city."

"In addition to installing a new 6-inch water main, the city plans to improve the storm water drainage system, repair sidewalks and build intersection bump-outs with curbs and gutters.

Plans also call for restriping the crosswalks at every collector street between Utica and Peoria avenues. Each crossing will come with two flashing beacons.

The improvements also include back-in angle parking on the north side of 15th Street and parallel parking on the south side of the street between Quaker and Trenton avenues."

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/street-rehabilitation-work-to-begin-on-cherry-street-on-monday/article_141e5dcb-584b-5f5c-972a-e55a74add453.html

Very glad that Cherry Street is getting some improved pedestrian infrastructure. Trying to walk is a nightmare currently, hopefully these will improve the experience.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #440 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:49 pm »

^ I wonder if this rehabilitation will include/allow for some street trees?  I think some trees would really improve this stretch of road.  Something like Dickson Street in Fayetteville would be nice. 
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #441 on: January 03, 2020, 02:29:01 pm »

^ I wonder if this rehabilitation will include/allow for some street trees?  I think some trees would really improve this stretch of road.  Something like Dickson Street in Fayetteville would be nice. 

^^I probably spent a little too much time hanging around Dickson in school. Great example though!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #442 on: January 05, 2020, 12:44:30 pm »

I hope so!  Trees are desperately needed along 15th.  The east-west orientation means this corridor gets blasted by the hot sun during the summer and shade would be very welcome (even if it takes a few years for the trees to grow!). 

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #443 on: March 02, 2020, 02:26:43 pm »

The subway building on Cherry Street has a fence around it. The east side of the building caught fire a few weeks ago but the Subway seemed to have been spared. Did they get some insurance money to tear down and rebuild the whole thing? I recall from the street repaving meetings that the Subway building owner was being uncooperative in trying to make the parking and streetscaping more pedestrian friendly.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #444 on: March 02, 2020, 05:08:08 pm »

The subway building on Cherry Street has a fence around it. The east side of the building caught fire a few weeks ago but the Subway seemed to have been spared. Did they get some insurance money to tear down and rebuild the whole thing? I recall from the street repaving meetings that the Subway building owner was being uncooperative in trying to make the parking and streetscaping more pedestrian friendly.

I noticed that fence the other day and meant to ask on here, but forgot.  I wish they would tear down this building and the strip center where Lucky's used to be and replace them with mixed use multi-story buildings.  Pipe dream I am sure, but it would go a long way in helping Cherry Street look and feel more urban.  Not to mention help out with pedestrian friendliness. 
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #445 on: March 02, 2020, 08:58:47 pm »

There are no building permits, but there are nuisance inspections visible on the city website.  Most likely the city is requiring the property owner (who owns other Subways as well) to properly secure the property with a fence while he figures out how to repair/replace.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #446 on: March 02, 2020, 11:22:35 pm »

I noticed that fence the other day and meant to ask on here, but forgot.  I wish they would tear down this building and the strip center where Lucky's used to be and replace them with mixed use multi-story buildings.  Pipe dream I am sure, but it would go a long way in helping Cherry Street look and feel more urban.  Not to mention help out with pedestrian friendliness. 

Those are two of the biggest remaining gaps along with the biggest of all, the parking lot at Lincoln Plaza.  That would be an amazing spot for mixed-use retail with office or residential above with the skyline views at that spot.

Jacobei
Citizen

« Reply #447 on: March 03, 2020, 07:11:18 am »

The scuttlebutt when I spent years working at CHoCS was that the owner of the former Hideaway/sometimes subway/ sometimes bonfire wants some crazy amount of money for the property.

That said, I think the thing that Cherry Street is missing is a small hotel.  Either the current parking lot of the Lincoln School on the corner, or the subway or the Former Lucky's site would all be great choices.  A pipe dream, I know, but one I've thought about for years now.

Edit: I Think the A&W site would be another great spot for a mixed use multi-story project.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:51:23 am by Jacobei » Logged
rebound
City Father

« Reply #448 on: March 03, 2020, 09:29:09 am »

The scuttlebutt when I spent years working at CHoCS was that the owner of the former Hideaway/sometimes subway/ sometimes bonfire wants some crazy amount of money for the property.

That said, I think the thing that Cherry Street is missing is a small hotel.  Either the current parking lot of the Lincoln School on the corner, or the subway or the Former Lucky's site would all be great choices.  A pipe dream, I know, but one I've thought about for years now.

Edit: I Think the A&W site would be another great spot for a mixed use multi-story project.

There a numerous airbnb rentals near Cherry Street.  We've used them for visiting friends and family several times.   I'm not sure the demand would be consistent enough for a hotel. 

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #449 on: March 03, 2020, 10:58:38 am »

There a numerous airbnb rentals near Cherry Street.  We've used them for visiting friends and family several times.   I'm not sure the demand would be consistent enough for a hotel. 

I don't know about Cherry Street proper but Midtown, specifically Utica Square, needs a hotel.  I'm surprised there isn't one by Hillcrest either.  There is The Campbell near TU.

The Maple is a 7 story, 109 room boutique hotel proposed by Coury Hospitality at 21st & Boston which could somewhat fill that void and also would be the closest hotel to the Gathering Place.  Not sure its current status though.

https://www.couryhospitality.com/portfolio/the-maple/

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org