A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:48:17 pm
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351725 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2019, 03:37:40 pm »

Who on earth has been saying that OKC is something to copy?  I usually look at them as examples of how NOT to do things. Most of what they have done is terrible, urban design wise.

Ironically, MidTown will be the best area in town, largely because it has been left alone.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2019, 11:11:26 am »

Who on earth has been saying that OKC is something to copy?  I usually look at them as examples of how NOT to do things. Most of what they have done is terrible, urban design wise.

Not me!!   Ever!!

Exactly - they are the example of how not to.   And their canal is certainly nothing that we want to do...make it like so many cities in Europe.  There are a lot of good examples there that we can put our twist on and make it great for Tulsa.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #407 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:36 pm »

Not me!!   Ever!!

Exactly - they are the example of how not to.   And their canal is certainly nothing that we want to do...make it like so many cities in Europe.  There are a lot of good examples there that we can put our twist on and make it great for Tulsa.

I agree. Their canal is like the themepark version of San Antonio's canal, which is already the Vegas version of European canals.

It is basically a suburbanite family fun park, with no real walkability, much less actual functional layout that could serve a real community. It's purpose is to bring in bachelor parties and folks having a night out. It does that well, but we need to dream a little bigger to address urban sprawl while also creating an interesting urban destination. Even if I lived in apartments above Bricktown, I'd rarely if ever go to the kitcsh chains around there. I'd take their MidTown over that.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #408 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »

I agree. Their canal is like the themepark version of San Antonio's canal, which is already the Vegas version of European canals.

It is basically a suburbanite family fun park, with no real walkability, much less actual functional layout that could serve a real community. It's purpose is to bring in bachelor parties and folks having a night out. It does that well, but we need to dream a little bigger to address urban sprawl while also creating an interesting urban destination. Even if I lived in apartments above Bricktown, I'd rarely if ever go to the kitcsh chains around there. I'd take their MidTown over that.

The times we have gone there, it was something we really wanted to like - love the idea of a canal - but it just wasn't all that great.    Even Chicago's river with it's lower level is more interesting...even if a lot more dangerous!

Side clarification moment;
I think my comment could have been taken way wrong - went back to read it and it sounded like I was saying OKC canals were like European - and that is directly opposite of what I meant!!   There are very good examples there to learn from and put our own interpretation onto.  There are sections of the Erie Canal that are very cool and would be good example, too!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #409 on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:18 am »

OKC is the poster-child of sprawl.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #410 on: April 16, 2019, 12:33:50 pm »

It is larger than Houston in area, but 1/4 (or less) of its population.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »

It is larger than Houston in area, but 1/4 (or less) of its population.

Being I lived in Houston for about 4 years, this is true.  Dense and a lot of sprawl.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2019, 08:33:29 pm »

NE city limit is at mile 147 on the turnpike.  Past Luther.   Almost to Wellston...few miles away.   

What an ignorant thing to do...they should pull that nonsense back and let the towns out there develop.  Wellston area is growing very fast - could be another Bixby.  Or Glenpool.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2019, 11:58:20 am »

The Louisiane building would be perfect for a small scale grocery store/restaurant.

The 10 Tulsa restaurants Scott Cherry misses the most
https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/dining/scott-cherry-s-tulsa-restaurants-he-misses-the-most/collection_19447fe5-718b-5948-b0cc-c4403ab35ed8.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2019, 08:14:11 pm »

Rendering of 1515 Lofts on Cherry Street next to the new Bruce G Weber at 15th & St Louis

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:19:55 pm by SXSW » Logged

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2019, 07:31:59 am »

uhhh, I hope those finishes aren't final. I don't mind developing mid-rises on Cherry street, but this is way out of character and just plain ugly. It's like the whole thing is modeled after an auto dealership.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2019, 08:53:46 am »

uhhh, I hope those finishes aren't final. I don't mind developing mid-rises on Cherry street, but this is way out of character and just plain ugly. It's like the whole thing is modeled after an auto dealership.

Looks in line with the recent condo additions behind this development.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:19 am »

Where was the Golden Drumstick/Middle Path Cafe?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2019, 04:39:39 pm »

Where was the Golden Drumstick/Middle Path Cafe?

11th and Yale I'm told

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:19 am »

Took a quick picture of the progress on the new lofts on Cherry street. Still got a ways to go  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org