A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:48:57 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351711 times)
shaddow
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:35 am »

Maybe townhomes down 19th by the parking garage, or on the east side of "Trenton" adjacent to the parking garage and tower.  Single family homes elsewhere on similar-sized lots as the rest of the neighborhood.  The vocal Swan Lake neighborhood would also not balk as much about a possible 15+ story tower if the rest of the development is mostly houses providing a buffer for the historic district, the boundaries of which are St. Louis and 19th.  

What do you guys think of the market for townhomes and condos in and around these areas? It seems a lot are still available and many have lease and lease to own options and aren't moving too fast. We just sold our house in Owasso and are looking to move to this area and have been looking at these types of houses as well as traditional midtown houses.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2011, 09:53:34 am »

I think the market for townhomes will increase in the next couple of years. Whether you choose one of these or a more traditional home I think you will enjoy the mid-town area.
shaddow
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:56 am »

I think the market for townhomes will increase in the next couple of years. Whether you choose one of these or a more traditional home I think you will enjoy the mid-town area.

Yea, we are trying to figure out if the its slow because of the market in general or just Tulsa doesn't have much of a tradition of this type of housing. We are thinking about renting in one of the redone buildings downtown for a year or so and see how things play out if we don't find the right house in time to move out.

When we moved here in the mid 90's we were always in and around this area (midtown, brookside, white city, riverside) and really liked it then tried south tulsa and hated it, then have lived in owasso for much of the 2000's and want to get out of the suburbs and back to downtown/midtown.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2011, 10:15:15 am »

Yea, we are trying to figure out if the its slow because of the market in general or just Tulsa doesn't have much of a tradition of this type of housing. We are thinking about renting in one of the redone buildings downtown for a year or so and see how things play out if we don't find the right house in time to move out.

When we moved here in the mid 90's we were always in and around this area (midtown, brookside, white city, riverside) and really liked it then tried south tulsa and hated it, then have lived in owasso for much of the 2000's and want to get out of the suburbs and back to downtown/midtown.

Midtown is more expensive which is one of the reasons you saw a lot of homes for sale as some people couldn't afford their mortgages and the ones who wanted to buy in midtown are priced out.  Neighborhoods like Riverview, Swan Lake, Yorktown and Renaissance have seen fewer homes for sale, and the ones that are sell more quickly because they are midtown but cheaper than Maple Ridge, Terwilleger Heights, Brookside, etc.  With gas prices higher and the Tulsa economy in much better shape I think you will see midtown become a hot market again and more of those larger, more expensive homes selling and also more infill like we saw in 2006-08.  If you can find something in the Riverview or North Maple Ridge neighborhoods that is where I would buy because their value is getting ready to skyrocket sandwiched between the river, downtown and Cherry Street/Utica Square. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:17:06 am by SXSW » Logged

shaddow
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2011, 10:30:09 am »

Midtown is more expensive which is one of the reasons you saw a lot of homes for sale as some people couldn't afford their mortgages and the ones who wanted to buy in midtown are priced out.  Neighborhoods like Riverview, Swan Lake, Yorktown and Renaissance have seen fewer homes for sale, and the ones that are sell more quickly because they are midtown but cheaper than Maple Ridge, Terwilleger Heights, Brookside, etc.  With gas prices higher and the Tulsa economy in much better shape I think you will see midtown become a hot market again and more of those larger, more expensive homes selling and also more infill like we saw in 2006-08.  If you can find something in the Riverview or North Maple Ridge neighborhoods that is where I would buy because their value is getting ready to skyrocket sandwiched between the river, downtown and Cherry Street/Utica Square. 

Thanks for the input. We have looked at the condos that are for sale at 19th and Boston with the rooftop decks, they look pretty nice. Just still a bit uneasy about how niche a market the condos will be if we ever have to sell. They kind of almost rule out anyone with kids so young professionals and empty nesters will be the majority of whats left. The condos on Cheery Street are, in comparison, a much more proven commodity, but still we wonder, with so many for sale in Tulsa, how the market for these will play out.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:02 am »

Thanks for the input. We have looked at the condos that are for sale at 19th and Boston with the rooftop decks, they look pretty nice. Just still a bit uneasy about how niche a market the condos will be if we ever have to sell. They kind of almost rule out anyone with kids so young professionals and empty nesters will be the majority of whats left. The condos on Cheery Street are, in comparison, a much more proven commodity, but still we wonder, with so many for sale in Tulsa, how the market for these will play out.

I wondered the same thing and passed on a townhouse instead buying a bungalow which I have extensively renovated near Cherry Street.  I think the townhouses will start selling, especially the ones off 15th.  I think Tulsan's would be more open to buying something like this either detached or duplex:

than this:

But unfortunately there aren't as many examples of the former available...yet.  I'd love to see more street/sidewalk facing rowhomes/townhouses with garages behind (not to the side) like these:

Imagine Boulder Ave though Uptown between 18th and 16th with townhomes like these both sides...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:59:53 am by SXSW » Logged

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

I love that last example you gave. Those are my favorite kind of rowhouse, and I think they would add a NYC/Chicago feel in and around downtown. I would nonhesitantly (I don't know if that's a word)  buy one of those should we ever build any.
dbacks fan
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2011, 03:42:13 pm »

I love that last example you gave. Those are my favorite kind of rowhouse, and I think they would add a NYC/Chicago feel in and around downtown. I would nonhesitantly (I don't know if that's a word)  buy one of those should we ever build any.

16th Boston, on the west side of Boston. Across the street from Don Jurick's place. Also 16th and Baltimore, and 16th and Main
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:46:51 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »

I love that last example you gave. Those are my favorite kind of rowhouse, and I think they would add a NYC/Chicago feel in and around downtown. I would nonhesitantly (I don't know if that's a word)  buy one of those should we ever build any.

Same here.  I think many would feel better buying a home like that than one of those lofts where the front door is next to the garage off a shared driveway.  The Uptown-Riverview area is ripe for this type of development.  I'd like to see townhomes and condos surround Veterans Park someday, and redevelopment of the older apartments along Riverside into higher densities.  If there is going to be riverfront "development" in Tulsa, let it be a redevelopment of the existing Riverview area which is basically a more residential extension of downtown.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »

By the way, not every CVS looks the same Wink

Looks like trolley tracks and an overhead wire.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

I wondered the same thing and passed on a townhouse instead buying a bungalow which I have extensively renovated near Cherry Street.  I think the townhouses will start selling, especially the ones off 15th.  I think Tulsan's would be more open to buying something like this either detached or duplex:

than this:

But unfortunately there aren't as many examples of the former available...yet.  I'd love to see more street/sidewalk facing rowhomes/townhouses with garages behind (not to the side) like these:

Imagine Boulder Ave though Uptown between 18th and 16th with townhomes like these both sides...

I don't care for either of the first two.  If I had to live in "the city" either of the bottom two would be acceptable.

One of my cousins lived in Boston in the late 70s in this building.  It was OK.  It needed a bit of renovation to be nice as far as the building was concerned.  It was not too far from the real "Cheers" bar. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Commonwealth+Avenue,+Boston,+MA&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=60.288153,129.990234&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Commonwealth+Ave,+Boston,+Massachusetts&ll=42.352789,-71.073808&spn=0.006985,0.015868&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.352789,-71.073808&panoid=tTNjaoLVqRlZscUJvYq3SA&cbp=12,115.91,,0,-17.5
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:30:20 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:19 am »

Things I learned yesterday:

1. There is a small grocery store going into an existing structure downtown
2. 1st Street Lofts has been re-designed to accommodate smaller apartments to keep costs down for renters interested in living DT but can't spend a house payment
3. The new hotel at the old city hall will be completed first and then the apartments at the YMCA will start work
4. The reconciliation building by the John Hope Franklin Park will start raising capital this Summer
5. There is a Tulsa Geoscience Center at 517 S Main Street, 3rd Floor; Energy America Education Institute
    - it's cool because it's all hands on for kids to get them interested in science
    - I recommend going by with your 4thish-5thish graders (open to all ages though)
    - they'll have a display at Mayfest at 6th and Main in the KidsZone

That's what I could pop off from memory in a few short minutes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:24 am »

Things I learned yesterday:

1. There is a small grocery store going into an existing structure downtown
2. 1st Street Lofts has been re-designed to accommodate smaller apartments to keep costs down for renters interested in living DT but can't spend a house payment
3. The new hotel at the old city hall will be completed first and then the apartments at the YMCA will start work
4. The reconciliation building by the John Hope Franklin Park will start raising capital this Summer
5. There is a Tulsa Geoscience Center at 517 S Main Street, 3rd Floor; Energy America Education Institute
    - it's cool because it's all hands on for kids to get them interested in science
    - I recommend going by with your 4thish-5thish graders (open to all ages though)
    - they'll have a display at Mayfest at 6th and Main in the KidsZone

That's what I could pop off from memory in a few short minutes.

Major epiphany you had there.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:30 am »

Major epiphany you had there.  Grin

I apologize if all that has already been discussed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:43 am »

I apologize if all that has already been discussed.

Yanking yer chain buddy.  That's a lot of good info in one day.  Was there a development forum or something you went to?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org