A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:54 am
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351652 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2017, 03:24:20 pm »

This article about Cherry Street is interesting including how it reclaimed the name and was rejuvenated starting in the early 80s:
Throwback Tulsa: Cherry Street’s success was a long time coming
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-cherry-street-s-success-was-a-long-time/article_c2a01d08-4070-55e6-906c-f2220d5a813f.html

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2017, 03:26:46 pm »

Main Street Tavern on Cherry Street sounds confusing.  This space seems to operate with 2-year expiration date.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2017, 03:26:59 pm »

This article about Cherry Street is interesting including how it reclaimed the name and was rejuvenated starting in the early 80s:
Throwback Tulsa: Cherry Street’s success was a long time coming
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-cherry-street-s-success-was-a-long-time/article_c2a01d08-4070-55e6-906c-f2220d5a813f.html

Really, Cherry Street was ahead of it's time, especially for Tulsa, with small business owners getting together and "owning" an area which was seedy and becoming dilapidated. It was already pretty nice by the 90's and just keeps getting better.

The 30+ years it took Cherry Street to get where it is makes the Brady District and Blue Dome seem that much more impressive. However, it also puts a bit of perspective on what we can realistically expect in the Pearl and Whittier Districts going forward, especially the neighborhoods which have a lot further to go than the "Main Streets".

A lot of shop owners and entrepreneurs bought in, worked hard to improve the area, and then had to close down anyways as they were pushed out by rising rents they helped to bring about! One way to battle that is with subsidized rents like the Brady District is providing thanks to GKFF and others. That isn't realistic for everywhere though so it will be interesting to see how Whittier, Pearl and Blue Dome do going forward. I hope small local businesses will remain core parts of those areas. Cherry Street and Brookside have already "gentrified" with high rents and high priced housing around them.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #258 on: June 15, 2017, 03:32:02 pm »

Main Street Tavern on Cherry Street sounds confusing.  This space seems to operate with 2-year expiration date.

Yes, I thought about that too. Doesn't sound good. I guess they couldn't find anything actually on Main and opening anywhere near the existing "Tavern" on Main Street in the Brady would be exceptionally confusing.

The Pint made it 3 years!  Grin
I believe White Owl was open for 5+ years.
Maybe this one will last 8! Or less than a year, if in decreasing order.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2017, 06:09:12 pm »

Yes, I thought about that too. Doesn't sound good. I guess they couldn't find anything actually on Main and opening anywhere near the existing "Tavern" on Main Street in the Brady would be exceptionally confusing.

The Pint made it 3 years!  Grin
I believe White Owl was open for 5+ years.
Maybe this one will last 8! Or less than a year, if in decreasing order.

The Pint was really meh.  We gave it several shots and nothing about it ever resonated with us.  The food was almost okay to okay and craft beer is not a unique offering for bars or pubs these days.  I’ve tried to think what about The Pint or the White Owl is so different from Kilkenny’s in trying to figure out why Kilkenny’s has seemed to work for so long.  Is it the more cozy public house atmosphere of Kilkenny’s which makes it more inviting?  The White Owl/Pint space has always seemed like a cavernous noise machine to me.

Main Street Tavern is nothing special either.  Ubiquitous bar eats and a decent drink and beer menu, but nothing really memorable.

Of course, we are speaking as if The Pint failed.  For all we know, this Main Street Tavern guy simply liked the location and made the owners of The Pint an offer they couldn’t refuse.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:10:22 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:41 am »

The Pint was really meh.  We gave it several shots and nothing about it ever resinated with us.  The food was almost okay to okay and craft beer is not a unique offering for bars or pubs these days.  I’ve tried to think what about The Pint or the White Owl is so different from Kilkenny’s in trying to figure out why Kilkenny’s has seemed to work for so long.  Is it the more cozy public house atmosphere of Kilkenny’s which makes it more inviting?  The White Owl/Pint space has always seemed like a cavernous noise machine to me.

Main Street Tavern is nothing special either.  Ubiquitous bar eats and a decent drink and beer menu, but nothing really memorable.

Of course, we are speaking as if The Pint failed.  For all we know, this Main Street Tavern guy simply liked the location and made the owners of The Pint an offer they couldn’t refuse.

The first time I went to the pint they had awesome huge wings (regular drumsticks covered in wing sauce) but then they stopped doing that. I wish more places would have regular sized drumstick wings. They were really good and a lot less of a mess. Later visits weren't as good. I remember ordering pretzels which claimed to be served with Seikel's Mustard. They came out with plain heinz. I was frustrated and they laughed it off saying, oh no we've never served them with any other mustard! Well, the menu says that and it looked pretty new. Also, the difference between pretzels with Seikels vs pretzels with heinz is pretty drastic. Furthermore, the pretzels were awful and rest of the meal was ok.

Kilkenny's has tons of food option. Probably "too many options" according to some, but it works. Almost everything I've gotten there has been good and I have several "favorites". Plus the pub menu is so cheap. They have a nice small curated selection of beers. The atmosphere is top notch. The old wood and seats and lighting plus all the nooks and crannys all work together to make it feel like a real cozy Irish pub. They've created a real "experience" you can't get anywhere else in Oklahoma.

I liked what the White Owl did with the spot. It was a great place to watch games and play pool. The Pint removed the pool table. It is loud in there though but so is Kilkennys. I liked what I got when I went to Main Street Tavern. It is neat they're focusing on their downtown a little bit in BA. It might do better than the Pint or White Owl because it is a bit more distinguished and they did have a couple specialties that stood out.

However, as you say, the Pint might've been doing well. Most every time I went in, it was crowded.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:02 am »

The first time I went to the pint they had awesome huge wings (regular drumsticks covered in wing sauce) but then they stopped doing that. I wish more places would have regular sized drumstick wings. They were really good and a lot less of a mess. Later visits weren't as good. I remember ordering pretzels which claimed to be served with Seikel's Mustard. They came out with plain heinz. I was frustrated and they laughed it off saying, oh no we've never served them with any other mustard! Well, the menu says that and it looked pretty new. Also, the difference between pretzels with Seikels vs pretzels with heinz is pretty drastic. Furthermore, the pretzels were awful and rest of the meal was ok.

Kilkenny's has tons of food option. Probably "too many options" according to some, but it works. Almost everything I've gotten there has been good and I have several "favorites". Plus the pub menu is so cheap. They have a nice small curated selection of beers. The atmosphere is top notch. The old wood and seats and lighting plus all the nooks and crannys all work together to make it feel like a real cozy Irish pub. They've created a real "experience" you can't get anywhere else in Oklahoma.

I liked what the White Owl did with the spot. It was a great place to watch games and play pool. The Pint removed the pool table. It is loud in there though but so is Kilkennys. I liked what I got when I went to Main Street Tavern. It is neat they're focusing on their downtown a little bit in BA. It might do better than the Pint or White Owl because it is a bit more distinguished and they did have a couple specialties that stood out.

However, as you say, the Pint might've been doing well. Most every time I went in, it was crowded.

Funny you mention the wings.  We got them first time we went when they first opened.  They arrived medium rare.

GHACK!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »

Funny you mention the wings.  We got them first time we went when they first opened.  They arrived medium rare.

GHACK!

What?  You don't like your fowl a little bloody?   Wink  Also known as 'salmonella red'?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2017, 02:48:15 pm »

What?  You don't like your fowl a little bloody?   Wink  Also known as 'salmonella red'?

I’m not a fan of spending my weekend toilet-bound.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »

I always liked The Pint even though the food was just okay.  I've heard Main Street Tavern is pretty good, but I've never been.  I can't imagine it will be a drop off.  It will be the same or better, I presume.
pusherbot
Tourist

« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2017, 03:38:32 pm »

The Pint was really meh.  We gave it several shots and nothing about it ever resonated with us.  The food was almost okay to okay and craft beer is not a unique offering for bars or pubs these days.  I’ve tried to think what about The Pint or the White Owl is so different from Kilkenny’s in trying to figure out why Kilkenny’s has seemed to work for so long.  Is it the more cozy public house atmosphere of Kilkenny’s which makes it more inviting?  The White Owl/Pint space has always seemed like a cavernous noise machine to me.

Main Street Tavern is nothing special either.  Ubiquitous bar eats and a decent drink and beer menu, but nothing really memorable.

Of course, we are speaking as if The Pint failed.  For all we know, this Main Street Tavern guy simply liked the location and made the owners of The Pint an offer they couldn’t refuse.

Eh I think Main Street Tavern has far better food, at least compared to the Pint.  To be honest though, Cherry Street has enough of the pub style restaurants.  It needs something different, like some really good Thai, sushi, or BBQ.  Honestly, I would dig some good Asian style food in that area.  I have tried Roka, and it is just disappointing.
RazorBird
Citizen

« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2017, 11:20:45 am »

Changing topic:

Just saw that OrangeTheory is going in where Noodles vacated.  Maybe I missed it, but I hadn't heard anything about this.  I assumed another food spot would open there.  I'm personally very disappointed that a fitness center is taking such a great spot.  Would love to hear some thoughts. 
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2017, 11:42:49 am »

Changing topic:

Just saw that OrangeTheory is going in where Noodles vacated.  Maybe I missed it, but I hadn't heard anything about this.  I assumed another food spot would open there.  I'm personally very disappointed that a fitness center is taking such a great spot.  Would love to hear some thoughts. 

It won't last....

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:02 am »

Ugh.  Can we please get some understanding that mid-town, especially 15th Street, is different than other parts of town?  Can we please stop this monstrosity from taking over the half-dozen buildings they want to raze to sell gas and chips?  Can we stick to small footprint gas stations in midtown?  I just don't understand how this is a good idea for anyone other than QT.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/PreserveMidtown/posts/?ref=page_internal
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:44 am »

Hasn't that ship kind of already sailed at that intersection? I mean it's neighbors will be Walgreens, Office Depot and Reasor's with out parcels, all suburban developments in midtown.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org