A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:41:02 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown development recap  (Read 162274 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »

Glacier Confection across from Caz's chowhouse.

I had some yesterday.

Holy moly, you will make any chocolate lover your biggest fan if you provide them with something from this shop.

I'm not a sweets guy and I have to admit, it's worth going back.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »

When is the "John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park" actually open?
Or are we supposed to enjoy it from outside the locked gates?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 01:41:40 pm »

I went in last Saturday at 10AM or so
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 01:50:18 pm »

Everything I can find says noon-5pm Thursdays-Sundays. I'm not sure it should even be called a park when it's only open a few hours a week. I'm not gonna go out of my way to go there.

[rant]Tulsa could shed the reputation that we roll up the sidewalks at 5pm if we, you know, didn't roll up the sidewalks at 5pm. Parks that close at 5pm. Downtown restaurants that close at 9pm on a Saturday night, close hours early or have private parties on Saturday nights, etc. [/rant]

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »

Everything I can find says noon-5pm Thursdays-Sundays. I'm not sure it should even be called a park when it's only open a few hours a week. I'm not gonna go out of my way to go there.

[rant]Tulsa could shed the reputation that we roll up the sidewalks at 5pm if we, you know, didn't roll up the sidewalks at 5pm. Parks that close at 5pm. Downtown restaurants that close at 9pm on a Saturday night, close hours early or have private parties on Saturday nights, etc. [/rant]

They pay a security guard to watch the place when it's open so they keep limited hours. I'm not certain what potential fear they are protecting against with the security guard: potential racial tension,  potential gang activity, potential defacement/vandalism, potential public urination, potential Ann Coulter? Seems misplaced to me.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »

They pay a security guard to watch the place when it's open so they keep limited hours. I'm not certain what potential fear they are protecting against with the security guard: ...potential Ann Coulter?

LOL

Power is nothing till you use it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

Does anybody know the status on the KOTV project? When I was there last night there was a fence around the entire lot, and it appeared that more than the helicopter pad was being built. Anybody know for sure?
TTownHomeboy
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:39 pm »

They pay a security guard to watch the place when it's open so they keep limited hours. I'm certain what potential fear they are protecting against with the security guard: potential racial tension,  potential gang activity, potential defacement/vandalism, potential public urination, potential Ann Coulter? Seems misplaced to me.

I fixed that for you.

It has already been vandalized a few times.  They may be over-reacting, but hey, they worked hard to make it happen and they have a vision of how they want to see it maintained.  If it fell into dis-repair, I'm sure that would draw charges of neglect, mis-management....yada yada yada.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

But you do realize it is across the street from where potentially several hundred mildly intoxicated to down right drunk people will spill out into the area....late night club venues, John 3:16 etc etc.   If in time it proves unwarranted, then so be it.  They're just being proactive,which in Tulsa should be applauded.

http://www.katv.com/story/13537967/memorial-park-vandalized-organizers-working-to-preserve-sacred-grounds?redirected=true
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

See, thats why we can't have anything nice around here.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 05:48:49 pm »

See, thats why we can't have anything nice around here.
Also why you have to wait in the world's slowest line at the downtown post office to buy a stamp. No vending machines there for the same reason.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »

Does anybody know the status on the KOTV project? When I was there last night there was a fence around the entire lot, and it appeared that more than the helicopter pad was being built. Anybody know for sure?

It appears they are doing site work there as I saw heavy equipment and a construction trailer on-site.  Same for the new park the south, and the Mathews Warehouse south of that.  The whole area is fenced off and starting construction; should be exciting to watch over the next year.  That along with the Tribune Lofts building (I'll post pics tomorrow, they have made a lot of progress) and the hotel development north of that, which doesn't look like it has started yet.  Still lots of redevelopment and infill to go in Brady but things are moving in the right direction.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 05:50:16 am »

It appears they are doing site work there as I saw heavy equipment and a construction trailer on-site.  Same for the new park the south, and the Mathews Warehouse south of that.  The whole area is fenced off and starting construction; should be exciting to watch over the next year.  That along with the Tribune Lofts building (I'll post pics tomorrow, they have made a lot of progress) and the hotel development north of that, which doesn't look like it has started yet.  Still lots of redevelopment and infill to go in Brady but things are moving in the right direction.

Yeah, the Brady District is moving very quickly in the right direction. I think it's really cool that coming in to downtown off the Northern leg of the IDL you see three continuous blocks of construction.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 12:06:17 pm »

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kwgs/news.newsmain/article/0/1/1825016/StudioTulsa/Downtown.Development.in.the.City.of.Tulsa.An.Update

Listen to the whole thing, it's very interesting and provides a lot of information.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »

I heard this last week. Interesting discussion
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:40 pm »

What no mention of the Tulsa Art Deco Museum? tsk tsk   Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org